• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lodging in Madrid

Howard

10+ Posts
Hi- We will be in Madrid for 2-3 nights in December before heading for Andalucia and would like to find an interesting hotel in a good location in which to stay. We prefer small places that are iidiosyncratic/local in nature (not big chain hotels). Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thank you -Howard

We stayed a few times at a small hotel near Puerta del Sol (on C. del Arsenal). It's extremely central, nice, clean and not too expensive (in December). I would highly recommend it. It's called Hotel Francisco I.

If you take Christian's hotel recommendation (I have no knowledge about the hotel to share) you will be a 2 minute walk from Chocolateria San Gines where you can get outstanding hot chocolate and churros. mmmm mmmm good.

Churros.JPG

Late to the thread....
We stayed at SLEEP'N Atocha in 2019. Clean, reasonable, nice rooftop bar/café, and solid breakfast. A real funky lobby!

Short walk from Atocha Train Station, Plaza Mayor, and Prado Museum.

Nothing fancy but we would stay there again.

Hello Howard!!
Francisco I hotel is a great option. I would also consider Hotel Preciados. We stayed there in 2019 and it was fantastic!!

Enjoy your trip :) Madrid is amazing

In 2015, my mom & I stayed in an apartment hotel, Matute 11 for about 5 nights. It was convenient to many sights in the city. They have studio apartments plus 1 & 2 bedroom apartments. There’s a kitchenette and small fridge. We had a one-bedroom and it was quite spacious. It had unique and kind of quirky decor. Our apartment had a mannequin in it, sans clothing. I put a scarf on him and we named him “Guillermo”.
IMG_0084.jpeg

I'm going to investigate all the recommendations in this thread.
So far, all the accommodation we have secured for our Spain trip has been through AirBnB, as we really like to have the flexibility of making our own tea/coffee and snacks as we go along, as opposed to having to rely on restaurants for everything. We probably won't do any serious cooking, even if the equipment is available, but it's nice to have the option if we decide to do that.
I've found that many of the apartments advertised on AirBnB and VRBO in Madrid do not meet our requirements. i.e Elevator, walk-in-shower, 1.50m (Queen size bed), but nonetheless, I'm pushing on.We might have to stay in a hotel if I can't find an apartment.
Just this one last piece of the jigsaw to put in place.

If you take Christian's hotel recommendation (I have no knowledge about the hotel to share) you will be a 2 minute walk from Chocolateria San Gines where you can get outstanding hot chocolate and churros. mmmm mmmm good.

View attachment 40007
We were there again at Christmastime and "discovered" San Gines by accident! We're almost ashamed to say that after five visit to Madrid and all of them within walking distance of this wonderful chocolateria, we never noticed it before!! It's certainly worth the detour, but there is always a line up. Totally worth the wait, though. It was our first time in Madrid at Christmastime and it was BY FAR the busiest we've ever seen the city centre! That being said, we LOVED coming back! :)

Thanks Christian. That's another place we'll have to visit.
We have finally secured all our accommodation for the Spain visit.
I'm busy now trying to wrap my head around the train travel and reservations.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina