• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Loire Valley

berliej

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
How many days without rushing things. All information and advice welcome

Spent 6 days Just in Touraine. Visited Chenoceau, Castle Amboise, Villandry, Chambord, Château d'Azay-le-Rideau, Clos Luce, Towns of Amboise, Chinon, d'Azay-le-Rideau, Montrichard and 6 wineries

Spent 6 days Just in Touraine. Visited Chenoceau, Castle Amboise, Villandry, Chambord, Château d'Azay-le-Rideau, Clos Luce, Towns of Amboise, Chinon, d'Azay-le-Rideau, Montrichard and 6 wineries
We are looking to spending 7 full days.. will be landing in Paris and will take a car. Still working on a ll the logistics. Not quite sure how we will divide up the days. We also prefer to spend a couple of days in a place and not a a different place every night.

We took the TGV to Tours from Paris and rented a car and drove to Amboise where we stayed for the entire time.

We took the TGV to Tours from Paris and rented a car and drove to Amboise where we stayed for the entire time.
I am thinking of doing that.. possibly straight from De Gaulle Airport to somewhere

We spent a week based in Amboise, our third time there (in part because we go back to see a resident who became a friend) earlier this month, and previously stayed in Loudun and Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher. We're now close to running out of chateaux to visit which are open all year (many privately owned chateaux close in early Nov. for the winter, after the All Saints Day school vacations), as we travel off-season, but in season there are about 100 open to the public.

We've been to 20 chateaux (Amboise, Angers, Azay-le-Rideau, Blois, Chambord, Chaumont, Chenonceau, Chinon, Fougères-sur-Bievre, Gailliard, Langlais, Clos Luce, Loches, Saumur, Selles-sur-Cher, Talcy, Usse, Valençay and Villandry), and to Fontevraud Abbey.

Amboise has 3 chateaux of varying sizes, and is an attractive but heavily dependent on tourism town of about 13,000 population. It is centrally located and right on the Loire. I liked Loudun, population about 7000, because it's a bit off the tourist track. St.-Aignan-sur-Cher, about 3,000, is much smaller, but also nice.

Figure about a 5 hour drive from CDG with stops and lunch. Taking the TGV to Tours and renting a car there makes sense for those arriving at CDG on a short flight with little opportunity to sleep. We're retired and in France for 4 weeks so we got off the plane and checked into an airport hotel overnight before picking up our rental car.

We spent a week based in Amboise, our third time there (in part because we go back to see a resident who became a friend) earlier this month, and previously stayed in Loudun and Saint-Aignan-sur-Cher. We're now close to running out of chateaux to visit which are open all year (many privately owned chateaux close in early Nov. for the winter, after the All Saints Day school vacations), as we travel off-season, but in season there are about 100 open to the public.

We've been to 20 chateaux (Amboise, Angers, Azay-le-Rideau, Blois, Chambord, Chaumont, Chenonceau, Chinon, Fougères-sur-Bievre, Gailliard, Langlais, Clos Luce, Loches, Saumur, Selles-sur-Cher, Talcy, Usse, Valençay and Villandry), and to Fontevraud Abbey.

Amboise has 3 chateaux of varying sizes, and is an attractive but heavily dependent on tourism town of about 13,000 population. It is centrally located and right on the Loire. I liked Loudun, population about 7000, because it's a bit off the tourist track. St.-Aignan-sur-Cher, about 3,000, is much smaller, but also nice.

Figure about a 5 hour drive from CDG with stops and lunch. Taking the TGV to Tours and renting a car there makes sense for those arriving at CDG on a short flight with little opportunity to sleep. We're retired and in France for 4 weeks so we got off the plane and checked into an airport hotel overnight before picking up our rental car.
I should have mentioned that to travel by TGV to Tours (the station is actually in neighboring St.-Pierre des Corps) requires transferring from CDG into Paris to the Gare Montparnasse. The TGV line at CDG does not go to Tours.

I should have mentioned that to travel by TGV to Tours (the station is actually in neighboring St.-Pierre des Corps) requires transferring from CDG into Paris to the Gare Montparnasse. The TGV line at CDG does not go to Tours.
Thanks for the information. Not sure if we want to drive for 5 hours straight after a flight. Maybe just pick up a car and then begin our journey but stop over somewhere on the way for a night. Any ideas?

Google Maps estimates drive time CDG to Amboise at 3 hours (267 km), using toll roads all the way. We're not comfortable driving at the 130 kmh speed limit, and take a couple of pit stops and a leisurely lunch. We often tire of the autoroute and get off near Orleans to drive the slower but more scenic route along the Loire. If you're renting an apartment, you may not be able to check in before 4 p.m.

Have you been to Versailles? Last year we drove an hour there from CDG (through Paris on the Périphérique) to see the palace and stay overnight, before continuing to Amboise.

Even closer to CDG (but in the opposite direction from the Loire) is the nearly as splendid Chateau de Chantilly. We spent the night nearby at a small hotel in Auvers-sur-Oise.

Google Maps estimates drive time CDG to Amboise at 3 hours (267 km), using toll roads all the way. We're not comfortable driving at the 130 kmh speed limit, and take a couple of pit stops and a leisurely lunch. We often tire of the autoroute and get off near Orleans to drive the slower but more scenic route along the Loire. If you're renting an apartment, you may not be able to check in before 4 p.m.

Have you been to Versailles? Last year we drove an hour there from CDG (through Paris on the Périphérique) to see the palace and stay overnight, before continuing to Amboise.

Even closer to CDG (but in the opposite direction from the Loire) is the nearly as splendid Chateau de Chantilly. We spent the night nearby at a small hotel in Auvers-sur-Oise.
Have been to versailles. Thinking about stopping in chartres

There actually are direct TGV trains from CDG airport to Tours (Saint-Pierre-des-Corps is the TGV station on the east side of Tours, not far from Amboise). I live here in the Loire Valley and always take a train on that line when I fly back from the U.S. The TGVs from CDG to Tours originate in Lille and run all the way down to Bordeaux.

There actually are direct TGV trains from CDG airport to Tours (Saint-Pierre-des-Corps is the TGV station on the east side of Tours, not far from Amboise). I live here in the Loire Valley and always take a train on that line when I fly back from the U.S. The TGVs from CDG to Tours originate in Lille and run all the way down to Bordeaux.
Hi Ken. thanks for that information. If we take that train, where would we be able to rent a car?

The Loire Valley actually covers quite a big area.
One week should be the minimum stay.
One of you saw 20 châteaux. Wow ! I can't do more than 2 days of château visits (about 5). They are like rich pastries. One château goes a long way.
I love the garden-themed smaller châteaux to the famous big ones but that's just moi.
Another thing to visit, if you are sick of châteaux, are the fascinating troglodyte villages and vineyards.

Here is my post on the Loire Valley -

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina