• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

London, Dorset and Dublin-Oct 9-27th, 2017

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
We will be in London from Oct 9-13. We haven't finalized accommodation yet. I was hoping to stay at my favourite Vancouver Studios but we are needing to stay around Bloomsbury/ Russell Square this time. I have more or less narrowed it down to. The Morton Hotel. It has studios with kitchenettes. Although don't plan on cooking, I like to be able to assemble various things. Or The Goodenough Club. It is rather unusual as a college residence but looks rather sweet. Thoughts??

I'd love to get together with other STs who will be in London at same time. I will be more or less, on my own as Ron will be at London University. I will post in the GT forum as well.

Then on to Dorset! After going crazy looking at cottages, we are renting Sweetbriar where Steve and Pauline stayed for a few days. Am really looking forward to seeing them again, doing some walks together and seeing their new digs. Will be there from Oct 13-23rd.

Then onto Dublin for 3 days. Never been to Ireland. This was tagged on so Ron could give a lecture at Kings College which will help pay for the trip:). No idea where we'll be staying. I'm giving up control and letting the college sort that one out.

London is certainly very good for assembling nice bits of food for an easy lunch, light supper, or relaxed breakfast. If you like Italian food, I'd recommend I Camisa on Old Compton St, the last of the historic Italian alimentari shops on this street. Great olives, pasta, cured meats cheeses, herbs, bread, antipasti, tomatoes etc. and fairly priced with it. Loads of great coffee around, but a little way across the same road is the Algerian coffee store who have a very large range of coffees (and teas). Old Compton St is a 20 min walk from Russell Square, near the west end theatres.

Dublin:
Surprisingly good food, though I'm still mourning the closure of Il Primo.

Fallon and Byrne is the fancy food hall in Dublin, top quality and really interesting to pick up odds & ends. Their cellar bar is a lovely calming place to escape with a glass of wine and some light food. I've not been to the restaurant upstairs.

If you end up near Camden St, then let me know as I've got plenty of recommendations in that part of town, but as it's a 20-30 min walk from the centre, not worth the detour.

Somewhat touristy, but I still very much enjoyed it, the Brazen Head pub is a little way away from the centre, but is a very easy/enjoyable option if you want to listen to some Irish music on a sunday afternoon, with singalong actively encouraged. I'd certainly recommend this over the music in the Temple Bar area, which is most likely not played by Irish people. The only place I would recommend in the temple bar is the Elephant & Castle for the Vinegar chicken. It's invariably busy, but like many places in Dublin, they'll stick you on the list, take your phone number and call you when your table comes free.

regards
Ian

Wow Ian, you're a fount of info. This isn't our first trip to London. Have been many times but haven't stayed in Bloomsbury area although have visited of course. Your recommendations especially for coffee are much appreciated. Am a good coffee addict and try to only frequent independent coffee shops. On one of our trips I was dismayed at the number of chain outlets and had to go quite a way to find a non chain. If memory serves, the Bloomsbury area was particularly bad. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Lisa

Yes Lisa, lots of chains around. Starbucks coffee is awful, but I understand why some people go there to sit in peace for as long as they want. Costa pretty awful as well. Caffe Nero possibly the best of the chains but still pretty average. Square Mile getting bigger in London and it's not bad, but in London I'll tend to buy from Monmouth or Algerian Coffee store (who do a couple of very good water process decaf roasts, but who also got us onto spiced coffee - I now grind my own spices at home though, so everything is freshly ground). Worth checking coffee forums for local roasters though, as competition is usefully high. We're lucky in Norwich with at least 4 independent coffee roasters. :coffee:

regards
Ian

I hope we can gtg in London, Lisa - by then (well, in only about 3 week's time, all going well) we should have done our move to London, and be settled in the Isle of Dogs. All a bit different from that nice little Cotswolds pub where we last met!

We will be in London from Oct 9-13. We haven't finalized accommodation yet. I was hoping to stay at my favourite Vancouver Studios but we are needing to stay around Bloomsbury/ Russell Square this time. I have more or less narrowed it down to. The Morton Hotel. It has studios with kitchenettes. Although don't plan on cooking, I like to be able to assemble various things. Or The Goodenough Club. It is rather unusual as a college residence but looks rather sweet. Thoughts??

I'd love to get together with other STs who will be in London at same time. I will be more or less, on my own as Ron will be at London University. I will post in the GT forum as well.

Then on to Dorset! After going crazy looking at cottages, we are renting Sweetbriar where Steve and Pauline stayed for a few days. Am really looking forward to seeing them again, doing some walks together and seeing their new digs. Will be there from Oct 13-23rd.

Then onto Dublin for 3 days. Never been to Ireland. This was tagged on so Ron could give a lecture at Kings College which will help pay for the trip:). No idea where we'll be staying. I'm giving up control and letting the college sort that one out.
I FINALLY made reservations in London!! And it was neither of the 2 I mentioned above. Honestly for 4 days, I must have spent the same amount of time looking at places. And I was only looking in one area!! I really wanted a place with access to a kitchen, not to cook meals but just to be able to put together a sandwich. Also with the falling Canadian dollar(who knows why that is happening) I wanted to be budget wise but also be comfortable.
So and I don't know how I missed it on my 1,000s 0f searches I found Penn Hotel. It is a Quaker club that has opened to non members. It meets all my requirements including having a communal kitchen and being next to Russell Square. Plus I like the idea that it is owned and run by Quakers.
Now on to the next trip:)

I hope we can gtg in London, Lisa - by then (well, in only about 3 week's time, all going well) we should have done our move to London, and be settled in the Isle of Dogs. All a bit different from that nice little Cotswolds pub where we last met!
I'd love to see you in London, Jonathan. I had never heard of Isle of Dogs but have since looked it up. Wow, very different from Stroud. Quite a move.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina