• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Accommodations Looking for a good hotel in London

Pauline

Forums Admin
We have not been into London since we moved from the Cotswolds to Dorset. It is a longer train journey from here, so we would want to spend 2 - 3 nights if we go in. Our Southern Rail train arrives at Waterloo, south of the Thames somewhat near Borough Market. I don't know this area. (I do know the area south of Elephant and Castle, in Camberwell and Peckham, where my old Grandad lived, but I imagine it has changed since the late 1980s.)

From the Cotswolds our train came into Paddington and we could either do a day trip or we stayed overnight at Vancouver Studios (a SlowTrav recommendation). I am looking for a similar hotel that would be easy to get to from Waterloo, by underground, bus or on foot. I want a smaller hotel, or even a chain hotel, but not in a highrise building. Something moderately priced - around £150/night (that is the price at Vancouver Studios now - it was £100 the last time we stayed there).

We've been to London several times, day trips and longer stays, but I don't know the city well. What would be a good area for us to stay?

So - looking for neighborhood recommendations and hotel recommendations. Thanks!

Hi Pauline,
A lot of people sure do swear by the Vancouver Studios so that would be a good bet! I am often passing through London with stays of just a couple of nights. If I am flying from the US and need a place for a couple of nights I like to stay in one of the Radisson Blu or Park Plaza hotels, because I am in their club so I get upgrades and points and also because I really love their staff who come from all over Europe.

I think though that maybe a couple of them might be more than you wanted to spend, but not this one:
https://www.radissonblu-edwardian.com
It is in South Kensington, easy peasy to walk to from Gloucester Road station (Piccadilly Line, Circle and District too.) The rooms are all in a few connected buildings making it somewhat of a maze.

I have also stayed in the Park Plaza at Victoria Station, its a newer modern building (I think) with a fantastic Italian restaurant that does cichetti. Now it is usually out of my price range. I got it with points when I stayed there but spent so much in the cichetti place my free stay was pretty much cancelled out, LOL
That neighborhood is very busy though.

Sometimes I check Londontown.com to see where the good rates are and book direct.

Sometime I want to stay in a Radisson or Park Plaza with a view of the river. One of these days.

We love staying in South Kensington too, and now have a favorite hotel near the Gloucester Road station: the Ashburn Hotel. This is a small boutique hotel in a great location and depending on when you're there, you can get a sometimes get a great rate. A very good continental breakfast is included (you can pay extra for a hotel breakfast) and they offer a glass of prosecco in their nice lounge before dinner. We really like this area of London and it's on the right side of the city to depart easily to Heathrow if that's your next stop.

Hi Pauline
We've stayed a little south of Borough Market before in a decent aparthotel (I think this one - Empire Square West, Long Ln, London SE1 4NA). The area a bit average, not bad nor good, just slightly run down as seems often in London suburbs. The apartment surprisingly spacious - the opposite of another one a little closer to Borough Market, that was effectively a hotel room, with fridge, sink and microwave - the apartment bit was over-selling it!

I've suggested the apartment, as if going to Borough Market, I'm assuming you'll want to graze and have the odd home arranged supper or breakfast. If looking for hotels, there are some decent ones just over the north side of the river, near Tower Bridge. Best value often at weekends due to proximity to the city of London business district.

Regards
Ian

I was looking on Booking.com and came across Space Apart Hotel, close to Vancouver Studios. They have mini-kitchens.

I booked Vancouver Studios because I like the location, we've stayed there before, they have Balcony Studios (on the first floor so you know you won't be in a basement or attic room, with door to small balcony, and with a small kitchen), and we decided to not take the train into Waterloo but instead will drive and park near Heathrow, then take the Piccadilly Line tube. We'll have to transfer to get to Bayswater station.

Let's keep this thread going because it is always good to have London hotel recommendations.

An option near the Waterloo train station is CitizenM Bankside, small rooms but well designed and well priced. I have not stayed in one of their hotels, but would if it was for a night or two. This would be a good option for us if coming in by train.

We had never stayed near Waterloo until our last visit, mainly because I found this RoomWithAView of the London Eye. Previously we always stayed around Victoria Station, and once in Bayswater, which I liked. We loved the area around Waterloo and walked over the Thames on 2 different bridges, to Covent Garden, and Westminster Abbey. We had lunch in the Walkie-Talkie, looking at the Shard and the Tower of London!

We had never stayed near Waterloo until our last visit, mainly because I found this RoomWithAView of the London Eye. Previously we always stayed around Victoria Station, and once in Bayswater, which I liked. We loved the area around Waterloo and walked over the Thames on 2 different bridges, to Covent Garden, and Westminster Abbey. We had lunch in the Walkie-Talkie, looking at the Shard and the Tower of London!
I was looking on Booking.com and came across Space Apart Hotel, close to Vancouver Studios. They have mini-kitchens.

I booked Vancouver Studios because I like the location, we've stayed there before, they have Balcony Studios (on the first floor so you know you won't be in a basement or attic room, with door to small balcony, and with a small kitchen), and we decided to not take the train into Waterloo but instead will drive and park near Heathrow, then take the Piccadilly Line tube. We'll have to transfer to get to Bayswater station.

Let's keep this thread going because it is always good to have London hotel recommendations.

I have booked Vancouver suites. I’d love to get a ground level room. Haven’t been to London in decades plus! What is the best way to get to the hotel from Heathrow?

It looks like our Air B&B is no longer listed, but I would stay in that area again. I am saving the link for the Vancouver Suites because I really liked that area when we stayed at the Pembroke Palace Hotel years ago.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina