• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Looking for suggestion in NW England

ncp

10+ Posts
We'll be in the UK the last few weeks in August and are looking for places to explore of historical significance. We've been to York, but will go back, also Hadrian's wall. I'm looking at staying near Hexham for several days at least then maybe wander down the coast? We love ruins and museums and will look into Jarrow Hall and the Bede Museum, but would welcome any suggestions. Will have a car. Thanks! Oops, the title is wrong - I meant northeast!

While in Jarrow, don't miss the Anglo Saxon church of St Paul in Jarrow itself. Nearby St Peter's Church in Monkwearmouth also has a Saxon tower. The best preserved Saxon church is St John's Church in Escombe which really does merit a visit.

I'm assuming Durham is on the list with its wonderful cathedral and castle. If you visit, don't miss the delightful Crook Hall Gardens. There are walks along the river banks.

Have you thought about Kynren which is advertised as 2000 years of English History which is a nightly performance at Auckland Castle. I've going to see it in early September after a friend raved about his trip last year. The castle itself is in the process of being rennovated and they are doing free tours at the moment.

There is Raby Castle, stronghold of the powerful Neville family. There is also Alnwick Castle, home of the Dukes of Northumberland with its award winning Gardens designed by the Duchess. Barter Books in the old Alnwick Station is the largest second hand bookshop in the area.

There are the ruined castles of Warkworth and Dunstanburgh (reached by a walk along the beach from craster of kipper fame). Bamburgh Castle is the iconic image of Northumberland in all the tourist literature. Cragside was the home of Tyneside Industrialist Lord Armstrong. Wallington Hall was a much loved family home. Then there is the decidedly quirly Chillingham Castle. This was a roofless ruin in the 1960s and is being restored by distant relatives of the original family. If you are expecting the usual stately home filled with beautiful furniture then you will be very disappointed. Imagine your garage and loft full of clutter and multiply by the number of rooms in the castle and you begin to get an impression of what it is like. It is a repository for family belongings and memorabilia collected over the years. There is everything from Tibetan prayer horns to antlers. Throw in old shoes, spinning wheel, armour, chinese temple lions, stuffed birds plus other objects too many to mention and you begin to get an idea. It is definitely different and you need a sense of humour to appreciate it all. The room stewards are excellent and have a wealth of stories about the castle.

I've written four travel notes covering Northumberland which you might find helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks Eleanor. I'll look through your travel notes. I saw Ian's trip report on walking part of Hadrian's wall and that helped as well. Can you tell we're big fans of Time Team?

Time Team have done a lot of programmes from the North East. There is a full list here. You may find some interesting ones and places to visit. Most of the programmes are on you tube and can be found doing a google search of Time Team and the name of the place.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina