• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lucca and Barga

Lisa in Ottawa

500+ Posts
I think I've figured out where to go on a mini vacation while on our 4 month sojourn. Just to refresh menories. Ron and I will be in Oxford for 3 months this fall. I wanted to take advantage of proximity to Europe for a couple of little jaunts. Prior to taking up residence in Oxford, we will have 10 days in the Loire Valley. So..where else to go. We decided early on, we would do a long weekend in Novemember in Lisbon. But where else.....

October, we will travel to Lucca and Barga, Italy. We are planning of 5-6 days in total. we have not been to either place. Both look lovely. I like the idea of 2 towns of different sizes. Barga is in the hills a little off the beaten track which I find appealing. It will probably be chillly but beautiful.

My question is should we book our tickets from LHR or GWK now or wait till we get to the UK? Both BA and Easy Jet fly into Pisa, the nearest airport. So does Ryanair but I prefer to avoit it if possible.

To find out where we will go for our final 10 days, you will have to travel to the France Forum.:happy:

Lucca is lovely; I've only been to Barga as part of a driving daytrip from Lucca. But I'm really posting to suggest you keep an open mind on airlines. Ryanair has cleaned up its act recently (easier website, lower charges for some add-ons); if you're travelling with hand baggage only, Ryanair's allowance of a cabin bag and a handbag leads to a much more relaxing experience than the last-minute attempt to squash your handbag/laptop bag into your main bag which you get with Easyjet. (Based on 3 low-cost flights this year, 2 with Easyjet & one with Ryanair)

The fly in the ointment, though, is that Ryanair's London flights tend to depart from Stansted, which is (at present) not as nice as Gatwick (LGW, by the way!). Though I see Ryanair also fly to Pisa from Birmingham - and Oxford to Birmingham airport is a very easy run.

Gatwick (LGW, by the way!). Birmingham airport is a very easy run.
Oops I thought LGW didn't look right!
I will keep Ryanair and Birmingham in mind. Thanks for the tip.
How soon do you think I need to book? I'd like to wait till we're in the UK but that may be cutting it fine. We won't have luggage. what a treat as we'll be travelling local (for us).
Looks like a lot of flight options and it isn't quite high season.

My question is should we book our tickets from LHR or GWK now or wait till we get to the UK? Both BA and Easy Jet fly into Pisa, the nearest airport. So does Ryanair but I prefer to avoit it if possible.
If you go on British Airways, book now because they are having a sale that ends July 8.

For EasyJet I would probably book now too. You get the best prices when booking way ahead. Their prices go up quite a bit closer to the flight date.

Stansted would probably be closer for Oxford. Are you driving? If not, check out transporation links to the various airports. Maybe there is something that goes from Oxford to Stansted. For Heathrow it would be train to Reading and then that Rail/Air bus from Reading to Heathrow. For Gatwick, train to Reading and change to train to Gatwick.

Great choice! Lucca is a lovely town and will be nice off season I think. I don't know Barga but would like to go there.

If you go on British Airways, book now because they are having a sale that ends July 8.

For EasyJet I would probably book now too. You get the best prices when booking way ahead. Their prices go up quite a bit closer to the flight date.

Stansted would probably be closer for Oxford. Are you driving? If not, check out transporation links to the various airports. Maybe there is something that goes from Oxford to Stansted. For Heathrow it would be train to Reading and then that Rail/Air bus from Reading to Heathrow. For Gatwick, train to Reading and change to train to Gatwick.

Great choice! Lucca is a lovely town and will be nice off season I think. I don't know Barga but would like to go there.
There are direct bus services from oxford to both Heathrow and Gatwick. We won't have luggage so a cheap airline would be good. We'd rent a car at Pisa airport.
I don't think early Oct is really off season but should be lovely.

When in Oct will you be in the Lucca and Barga ? I have a home close by and just returned to the US after 2 plus months there but will be returning back to Italy in mid Sept until Nov. I know Lucca and Barga like the back of my hand as my family also live there. I'm there at least 3 times a week. Lucca will be fairly busy in Oct and the largest comic book festival is held there late October and it's packed with tourist! Wall to wall people! Barga and the surrounding towns are quite lovely and a good place to relax. The one thing about Oct in the mountains is the rain and cool/ cold temps , hopefully this year it will be better than last year.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina