• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Lunch in Montalcino

Sharon J

100+ Posts
We are returning to Italy this May and again in October. We are taking our son with us in May, and we always return to all of our favorite places for lunch. However, we have never eaten in Montalcino. We have visited many times, but have never eaten there. Do you have any recommendations for non fancy places for lunch? I think we always ventured over to SanAngelo in Colle after visiting Montalcino, but had a terrible lunch there on our last trip.

Let's hope we will all be back to normal this season.

Sharon

I'd recommend Osteria di Porta al Cassero which has my husband's favorite meat sauce over pici pasta and very good scottiglia di cinghiale. Also recommended would be Il Giardino Ristorante which has some outdoor seating.

Primi at Il Giardino
1645297810303.jpeg

Scottiglia at Porta al Cassero
1645298210717.jpeg

The food looks wonderful. Thank you so much for this recommendation. I will also check out ll Giadino

We've not been to Montalcino :woot: (FWIW we prefer the leaner/bonier wines of Montepulciano, or indeed quite a few in Chianti Classico / Rufina over Brunello).

I will however share what the folk at Wine Berserkers have reported positively on for restaurants in Montalcino, if that's any use :
Boccon Divino
Taverna del Grappolo Blu
Rei di Macchia

The latter two though from over a decade ago.

We've not been to Montalcino :woot: (FWIW we prefer the leaner/bonier wines of Montepulciano, or indeed quite a few in Chianti Classico / Rufina over Brunello).

I will however share what the folk at Wine Berserkers have reported positively on for restaurants in Montalcino, if that's any use :
Boccon Divino
Taverna del Grappolo Blu
Rei di Macchia

The latter two though from over a decade ago.
Thank you Ian. We'll look into each of them.

My perspective (from 2004 - 2016 I visited 1 or 2 times a year). I've eaten at Boccon Divino once. It was good but not as good as other places for me. I've eaten at Taverna del Grappolo Blue a few times. It was interesting but I prefer other places. If you like the menu it would not be a mistake. I've eaten at Rei di Macchia several times (usually when Porta al Cassero is closed - but only for dinners). Food was always good and the presentation of desserts was always memorable. Not a mistake to eat here either.

Porta al Casserto tends to be our go to place for a few reasons: not fancy, just good food. Family run with the father, mother, daughter working there (and none of them speak English - other waitstaff do speak English), the proprietor of the place we stay is the cousin of the daughter and we've had meals with him and his wife there, they gave us a set of 6 engraved wine glasses as a present when we asked if we could buy them, they tolerate my poor Italian and always work with me to communicate.

I seem to always have photos of food :). Really hoping I can make it back to Montalcino this year.

Dessert at Rei di Macchia
1645399107696.jpeg

Bruschetta at Porta al Cassero - the olive oil they use is amazing.
1645400033861.jpeg

Pici al Sugo at Porta al Cassero
1645400077564.jpeg

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. We think we will give Porta al Casserto a try. I've written down all the places for future trips. After our May trip, we will be back in October. We always stay with Nico at Sant'Antonio for a week, usually starting or ending in Positano, Varenna on Lake Como or Venice. I'll report back after our May trip. At our age, we just return to the places we love the most. Of course, Nico is a must for every trip.

Wednesday is Osteria di Porta al Cassero's closing day. If you like honey don't miss the store of Villa i Cipressi that is a few doors down from Osteria di Porta al Cassero. They have let us taste various honeys - we have about a dozen varieties that we enjoy pairing with cheeses including chestnut, rosemary, lavender, acacia. Really special.

Wednesday is Osteria di Porta al Cassero's closing day. If you like honey don't miss the store of Villa i Cipressi that is a few doors down from Osteria di Porta al Cassero. They have let us taste various honeys - we have about a dozen varieties that we enjoy pairing with cheeses including chestnut, rosemary, lavender, acacia. Really special.
Thank you Gail. I love honey, especially mixing it with peanut butter.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina