• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Malpensa to Como Need Transportation and Hotel Suggestions

Linda Ross

10+ Posts
I need help! I am traveling with a dear friend and her Mom - headed to Italy. Typically I will stay in Milan 3 or 4 nights before spending a couple of weeks of in Venice. My friend's Mom wants to see Como. So the plan it seems is to land in Malpensa and go directly to Como. I am reading that there are trains from Malpensa to Saronno change trains then Saronno to Como Lago Nord.

My question is where do we stay? This is only a one night stay - trying to fit it in- I would like to have a view of the Lake to make our stay special. We'll be staying over at the very end of October. Not sure what is open at this point on the lake. Any suggestions on an area that is easily accessible by public transportation - has restaurants nearby and will offer a nice view of the lake? Thank you!

On transportation, that's right: at www.trenord.it , do a search from Malpensa Aeroporto T1 to Como Nord Lago. It seems that there are some trains that go directly from the airport to Como S. Giovanni station.

We have never taken a train to Lake Como, but we always stay in the lovely little town of Varenna right on the lake. I highly recommend a lovely small hotel named Albergo Milano. A couple owns the hotel, and the husband is also a chef, and prepares dinners on their lovely terrace in the evenings. You are not required to eat there, however. The breakfast buffet is included in the price. https://www.varenna.net/ENG/hotel.html
I understand that there is a train station within walking distance to the hotel. I recommend that you ask for Room #2,, with room #1 a close second. Each of those two rooms have a large terrace with the most beautiful view of the lake and surrounding mountains. We usually rent apartments when traveling in Italy now, but this little jewel, is simply too wonderful to resist, and we return nearly every year. Easy access to the ferries, which take you all over the lake. Charming town, with plenty of delightful places to eat, which includes our favorite, Quatro Pass, right across the alley from the hotel.

We have never taken a train to Lake Como, but we always stay in the lovely little town of Varenna right on the lake. I highly recommend a lovely small hotel named Albergo Milano. A couple owns the hotel, and the husband is also a chef, and prepares dinners on their lovely terrace in the evenings. You are not required to eat there, however. The breakfast buffet is included in the price. https://www.varenna.net/ENG/hotel.html
I understand that there is a train station within walking distance to the hotel. I recommend that you ask for Room #2,, with room #1 a close second. Each of those two rooms have a large terrace with the most beautiful view of the lake and surrounding mountains. We usually rent apartments when traveling in Italy now, but this little jewel, is simply too wonderful to resist, and we return nearly every year. Easy access to the ferries, which take you all over the lake. Charming town, with plenty of delightful places to eat, which includes our favorite, Quatro Pass, right across the alley from the hotel.

Thank you Sharon! I had also thought about staying in Varenna but was not sure how complicated it would be after an overnight flight into Malpensa. I suppose it's really just another 20 minutes from Como. I will definitely check out the hotel. I own a catering company so I am very intrigued by the Chef owner preparing dinners on the terrace! I'll also check out Quatro Pass. Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
Hi Linda,

The train station in Varenna is called Varenna-Esino. The hotel Sharon mentioned is a short walk downhill from the train station.

I have spent time visiting Varenna while staying in both Bellagio and Menaggio and have always wanted to return to stay right in Varenna. If you can, I would recommend extending your stay to at least 2 days. It really is a lovely area of Lake Como.

Hi Linda,

The train station in Varenna is called Varenna-Esino. The hotel Sharon mentioned is a short walk downhill from the train station.

I have spent time visiting Varenna while staying in both Bellagio and Menaggio and have always wanted to return to stay right in Varenna. If you can, I would recommend extending your stay to at least 2 days. It really is a lovely area of Lake Como.

Thank you Susan!

I feel as though I have spent endless hours trying to find a place that fits the needs of all 3 in our group. I have decided to abbreviate Milano by 1 night and stay 2 nights in Como. Great suggestion! It will give us time to rest and take in the scenery.

I booked Crotto dei Pescatori in Lezzeno - beautiful fishing village BUT canceled because there is no place to go there - no restaurants or shops within walking distance. I did try to find a place in Varenna and also Menaggio but unfortunately nothing that fit the bill was still available for us. I finally found Ristorante Hotel Glavjc - weird name but initials of the owners. It is in Torno- which looks absolutely lovely. We were able to get a triple room with private bath and balcony/ terrace overlooking Lake Como. The room is completely 1970's but I have read it is very clean and the beds are comfortable. The view is heavenly. I have read mostly very good reviews regarding the onsite restaurant which also has stunning views and I am happy to see that they are open on Mondays - the day we will arrive. Looks like it's about 18 minutes from the bus station after we get off the train in Como Nord. Not too bad. Thank you all for your help. I am relieved to have found this accommodation - everything we wanted at a great price. Fingers crossed!!!

Sounds like you are set! I'll be interested to hear what you think about Torno. I looked on the map and remember seeing this village from the boat when taking the boat from Menaggio to Como. Have a great trip!!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina