• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Malta Malta Sojourn - April 2016

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
It has hard to believe that we planned, booked, and took our Malta trip in less than 30 days. We were pleasantly surprised, and probably a little lucky that everything fell into place. Our getaway took us to three distinct destinations. Malta being or prime destination, then followed by an interim stop in Rome, and then finally NY, NY to see David Gilmour in concert. We were lucky enough to get tickets to see one of my favorite guitarists, David Gilmour, last summer for his performance at Madison Square Garden. Seven months later we decided to go to Malta the week before concert.

TripReport001.jpg

Lodging:

While on Malta, we stayed at the Pergola Club Hotel & Spa and for us the old real estate saying of "Location, Location, Location" could not have been more true. The RCI Resort/Hotel is located in the center of Mellieħa a town located on the NW corner of the island overlooking the Mellieħa Bay. The resort offers some amazing views, and if you are lucky enough to get a balcony room this will be your view.

TripReport000.jpg

There are some serious steps to get from the hotel to the main street for those who like to walk or a rickety elevator that gets you street level.

TripReport002.jpg

The facility was well-kept and very family friendly. It is not new and shiny, but everything was in working order. Our room was a one bedroom with a full kitchen. It was spacious and with a small balcony which allowed us to enjoy the beautiful view. The kitchen had everything one would need to prepare a meal, albeit besides continental breakfast we ate all meals out. Those that have stayed in timeshares know it can be a mixed bag, and I would put Pergola above average. The one thing that set it apart was the staff. They were extremely friendly and helpful throughout our stay! Between the location and the staff, I would have no problem returning to Pergola.

Mellieħa itself is a quiet town when compared to the larger cities of Malta, but it does have a great selection of nice restaurants that are all within walking distance. For us to be geographically removed from Valetta and Silema was a plus. Pergola is also just a short ride to the Gozo ferry, Golden Bay, Mellieħa Bay, and St Paul’s Bay. The shot below is looking from Mellieħa Bay back up town.

TripReport004.jpg

Transportation:

I am not sure we missed any form of transportation used to move the public. In no specific order: Private vehicle, aircraft, taxi, rent-a-car, ferry, bus, train, and subway were all part of our adventure.

Flights:

We departed on American Airlines from Philadelphia to Rome using frequent flyer miles. Yeah, I know we live in Virginia why not depart from DC. With NY being the final leg, my plan was for us to pack two suitcases - One for Europe and one for NY. This strategy reduced our load and allowed us to have clean clothes upon our return to the states. I was also a little nervous with Ryanair’s strict luggage restrictions, and did not want to be close to their limits.

Another factor was AA wanted 80K miles + $1300 for two roundtrip tickets to Rome from Dulles. By departing from Philadelphia on AA, the journey cost was 80K miles + $110 for two tickets. I can drive an extra three hours for a $1000. Our flights, both going to and coming from Europe were very nice. We did have preferred seating for the flights, but the food was surprisingly edible, the crew was attentive, and the planes were spotless. The aircrafts appeared new and both had an upgraded multimedia package for your transatlantic experience.

Rome to Malta was on the budget airline, Ryanair. The tickets are crazy cheap. It was like $39 to fly from Rome to Malta, but OMG Ryanair does not make it easy. There are all sorts of regulations, restrictions, and penalties if you do not follow their process to the letter. I had heard horror stories on how rude their agents were, but we did not find that to be the case. Albeit, after all fees for baggage, paying extra to have an assigned seat, standing in 7 different lines, etc… the tickets were more expensive than the Air Malta tickets, which we used to return to Rome. Ryanair makes Southwest look like a luxury carrier. We chose them because the timing was perfect for connection to Malta. Not sure, I would use them again. Their process is just too stressful for someone on holiday.

Air Malta was excellent. The whole experience was simple, quick, and reasonable. It is only a 75-minute flight from Malta back to Rome. The Air Malta crews and equipment were very good. Would not hesitate to use them again.

Rent-a-Car:

We let the hotel arrange for the rent-a-car and it worked out great! They also arranged for a shuttle to pick us at the airport deliver us to the Pergola, and then delivered the car the next morning. We turned it in the night before our departure and rode a shuttle back to the airport. The goal of this trip was low stress and to explore some place new. The shuttle allowed us to see the lay of the land from the passenger seat after a long day of travelling. Well worth the Euros invested. Malta is notorious for the aggressive drivers and crowded roads. The other challenge for me was it meant driving on the other side of the road sitting in a driver seat where I usually have a passenger. However, since I am dyslexic and ambidextrous I feel in the groove quickly and only got honked at a couple times.

TripReport007.jpg

The blog highlights some of our driving adventures, which include roads that the side mirrors had to be closed to continue down the road. The smallest car you are comfortable driving in is my recommendation – parking spots are a very rare commodity. I will say, if or when we return to Malta, a rent-a-car is a must if you want to see the island.

Public Transportation:

We used busses and ferries while we were on island to go into Valleta. They were timely and convenient. We did not use the week passes for public transport because the car was our primary mode of transportation.

Must Do’s in Malta (IMHO):

There is a trap when traveling which can snare the most seasoned adventurer. One can get caught up in what you are “suppose” to see, which I call “the Rick Steves approach”. To me this method of determining what to see limits a traveler. Simply put, when one grabs a guide book and is determined to see all the places the author felt important enough to write about and then check them off some list for some unknown reason is just not my kind of travel. On the other hand, I tend to be a wanderer. Of course, wandering has its own positive and negatives, but I just like to fall into things. My wife tends to be in the first category of travelers so we make a good pair. She does all the research of what she wants to do and when it is time to go exploring... I make her leave the book in the room. Hence, we know what we are suppose see we just have to find it.

I said all of this (my editorial) so when you read what I recorded below as a few of the “Must Do’s” you want to keep in mind that I am a wanderer. There are ruins on the island that are older than Stonehenge or the Pyramids, Great Museums, and some Cathedrals that will blow you away... but hey they are in the guidebooks :D

In no particular order:

A day in Gozo
– this island is a short ferry ride from the west end of Malta. The car ferry makes it very easy to get around the island. Our goal was to traverse the island and find the Azure Window. It was truly and amazing sight and a wonderful day. Unfortunately, on March 8, 2017 the rock formation collapsed into the sea.

TripReport008.jpg

Sunday Market Day in Marsaxlokk – The local fisherman sell their catch, and many vendors of vegetables to table clothes join in. This little fishing village lined with restaurants becomes a happening place!

TripReport010.jpg

The Dingli Cliffs – A view that you will remember for a lifetime, and do take the time to have a lunch at the restaurant there. Fresh seafood and risotto made with wildflowers that is to die for. If you are a rabbit fan, it too is pretty outstanding.

TripReport012.jpg

Mdina – this ancient walled city established by the Phoenicians in the 8th century is just a wonderful place to spend the day. The alleys formed a maze for us to explore and find neat little places tucked away. The city offers many photo opportunities.

TripReport011.jpg

Harbor Tour in Valleta – to see the Valleta and her sister cities from the water is time well spent. History comes alive, and the yachts along the way will blow you away!

TripReport009.jpg

Food & Wine:

I have enjoyed the seafood on the Ligurian Coast of Italy, Peloponnese and Cyclades in Greece, the Spanish Costa del Sol, the Caribbean, and the Gulf Coast here in the US… Malta wins for best seafood I have ever eaten. And I had EXCELLENT meals at all the other places listed above, but I have to give Malta the blue ribbon. Personally, I am also a big fan of Rabbit, and the Maltese do a wonderful job with this protein also. All in all, the food on this trip was excellent!

TripReport020.jpg

Probably our biggest surprise was the quality of Maltese Wines. I had never had a wine from Malta until our arrival. There is an extremely limited amount of these wines exported to the US and I am not sure about Europe, but they are well worth a try.

The Blog:

Below are links to our daily entries in our blog, Maltese Sojourn. The Blog has many more pictures of this beautiful island and details our adventures. It also covers 24 hours of anything but “Slow” in Rome, and then a wrap up. As for the David Gilmour concert… It was the perfect conclusion to a great trip! Enjoy!

Pre-Trip Preparation

You are going where?

To Drive or Not to Drive…

Malta

Day 1:
The Journey

Day 2:
Blowin in the Wind

Day 3:
Market Day

Day 4:
We Gozo for Photos!

Day 5:
Timing is Everything

Day 6:
Our Side of the Island

Quick Update:
Before we Go

Day 7:
Sorry We are Closed

Day 8:
Goodbye Malta – Hello Rome

Wrap Up:
So Why Little Malta?

TripReport021.jpg

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina