• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

MEMOIR - Return to Glow, A Pilgrimage of Transformation in Italy by Chandi Wyant

Alpinista

100+ Posts
One of our friends from the Slow Travel board, "Red Red Wine" has an April 2 release date for her book detailing a voyage of personal discovery centered on her hike of the Francigena pilgrim's trail. I know there is a common love of Italy that you will share with her. Throw in the fun of hiking the trails of Italy and a story of personal achievement and growth and I think you will enjoy her work.

rtg-cover_1_orig.png

Thanks, I wish it was available as a paperback through amazon.ca but I'll manage with a kindle version, I'm sure. :)
Sounds like a fabulous book, definitely going on my must-read list - thanks for the heads up, Alpinista!

I am 24% of the way into the book (on my Kindle) and am enjoying this book. Imagine my pleasure reading this:

"I get a message from a man on the Slow Travel forum. He's an experienced long-distance hiker..." (Bill Thayer perhaps? Robert Rainey?)

"In desperation, I go to the Slow Travel forum for Italy, a forum I'd been part of for years."

"The next day on the Slow Travel forum I read this: '... Consider walking the Via Francigena ...'"

On the ST forums I found this thread: I am walking across Italy in June by RedRedWine, May 2009. It was member Giulia G who suggested the Via Francigena.

ST makes it into a book!

"I get a message from a man on the Slow Travel forum. He's an experienced long-distance hiker..." (Bill Thayer perhaps? Robert Rainey?)

Ooooh, might have been me?? Chandi and I had discussions about boot selection among other topics regarding long distance hiking. I once did a coast to coast hike across Scotland; a hike in Argentina; and a lot of long distance hiking on the Appalachian Trail in prep for my climbing trips. I really enjoy living vicariously in hearing people's plans for hikes and climbs and was very interested in Chandi's trip preparation. Also had the opportunity to read her blogs about many of the predecessor personal events which are now the fabric of her book. My wife has downloaded the book -- I need to get busy reading it.

I finished the book today and really enjoyed it. (It took me awhile to read because I have been busy with trip planning, so haven't had time to read.)

The main story is the walk on the pilgrimage trail, the Francigena. She had a difficult time with the walk because of problems with her feet. I have read several books about walking on the Compostella trail and the Italian trail is not as well marked or as full of pilgrims, but there are trail markers and a system of places for pilgrims to stay. She runs into other pilgrims on the trail, but not that many.

She gives a nice description of the trail and the towns along the way. We've been to many of the towns but I did not realize the pilgrimage trail went through them.

Along with the travel story is her personal back story and why she is doing the walk. She is recovering from a serious illness and a divorce. This part of the story was well told and fit well with the walking story.

I enjoyed the book and recommend it. I will write a review on Amazon.

As I said above, I was thrilled to see the SlowTrav forums mentioned!

Ciao Pauline! I am so pleased you liked my book. Thanks very much for the review on Amazon :)
Yes, that must have been fun for you to see the Slow Trav forum mentioned! ;-)
Let me know when you're next in Italy! I'm now based near Lucca.

Thanks, I wish it was available as a paperback through amazon.ca but I'll manage with a kindle version, I'm sure. :)
Sounds like a fabulous book, definitely going on my must-read list - thanks for the heads up, Alpinista!

Hi Anne, If you go to the link for the book on my site, you should be able to order the paper back in Canada. My site is paradiseofexiles.com you will find a link to the book in the side bar as well as under the publications tab. It is my understanding that via that link (which goes to Createspace) that people in many other countries can order the paperback. If you aren't able to, let me know. Thanks for your interest in it! :)

Ooooh, might have been me?? Chandi and I had discussions about boot selection among other topics regarding long distance hiking. I once did a coast to coast hike across Scotland; a hike in Argentina; and a lot of long distance hiking on the Appalachian Trail in prep for my climbing trips. I really enjoy living vicariously in hearing people's plans for hikes and climbs and was very interested in Chandi's trip preparation. Also had the opportunity to read her blogs about many of the predecessor personal events which are now the fabric of her book. My wife has downloaded the book -- I need to get busy reading it.

Jim, I believe that one of the replies I got from that post, that I put in the book, was yours! :)

I just ordered my copy after Karen Bergeson reminded me about it! I'll have 2 weeks at sea to catch up on my reading!

Hi Art and Barb! I remember you from way back in 2003 when I lived in Florence. You guys were down in the Val d'Orcia weren't you? Are you still? I have just returned to live in Italy again (arrived one week ago)-- I am outside of Lucca. Would be fun to connect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chandi! We lived in Umbria, is a small village called San Venanzo - I think Joanna is who you're thinking of from the Val d'Orcia, but in any case it's good to reconnect! Congrats on the move - it's something that's always on our minds. Perhaps our paths will cross again!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina