Monmouth is a border town that grew up at the junction of the rivers Monnow and Wye. The Romans had a garrison here. The Normans built a castle here in 1067 to control the river crossing and the surrounding area. A Benedictine priory was founded here in 1075, and may have been where Geoffrey of Monmouth was based. The priory church became the parish church in the C12th. The priory was dissolved in 1536 and only the Prior’s Lodgings survived. This became a school and later a youth hostel. It has since been restored as a wedding and community venue.
The town was granted its first royal charter in 1256 and became important as the market for a rich agricultural region. Monmouth and the surrounding area had a high reputation for the quality of its livestock.
Town walls were built around 1300 and Monnow Bridge was fortified. It is the only one of its type remaining in Britain. It later became a toll collection point, jail and later a private home.
Henry V was born in the castle in 1386.
Monnow Street with its burgage plots linked the bridge and the castle.
The C16th Robin Hood Inn is one of the oldest buildings in the town. In the C18th, the upper room was used by Catholics to celebrate mass, until the Penal Laws against Catholics were relaxed in 1778, and they were able to build their own church.
Cornwall House dating from the C17th is the last remaining privately occupied house on Monnow Street.
By 1600 Monmouth was a wealthy, bustling town, with potters, tanners, nail makers and cappers boosting the local economy. It had iron and tinplate works, as well as paper and corn mills and was an important river port with warehouses and wharves along the Wye. William Jones, a prominent merchant founded a school here in 1614. (The present building dates from 1865.)
The castle changed hands several times during the Civil War and the Parliamentarians demolished most of it to stop it being used again. Great Castle House was built on the site in 1673 for Henry Somerset, the 3rd Marquis of Worcester. He was Lord President of the Council of Wales and the Marches and wanted a house befitting to his status. It served as the Assize Court until Shire Hall was built.
Shire Hall built in 1724,was formerly the centre for the Assize Courts and Quarter Sessions for Monmouthshire. In 1839/40, the court was the location of the trial of the Chartist leader John Frost and others for high treason for their part in the Newport Rising. It now houses the offices of Monmouth Town Council as well as the Tourist Information Centre and a museum celebrating the history & heritage of Monmouth and the Wye Valley. The courtroom and holding cells have been restored to their 1840s appearance.
This is the heart of the old town with Agincourt Square and surrounded by C16th coaching inns and other splendid buildings.
Nelson visited the town in 1802 as the area was an important source of timber for the British Navy and shipbuilding.
The Market Hall on Priory Street was built in 1837-9 as part of the redevelopment of Monmouth Town Centre. This housed The Nelson Museum and Local History Centre, which will be moved into the refurbished museum in Shire Hall.
By the end of the C18th, Monmouth had become a popular centre for visitors to the area with its close proximity to the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley.
In the Late C19th /early C20th Monmouth had close links with the Rolls Family (of Rolls-Royce fame) who were substantial landowners and there is a statue of Charles Rolls in front of Shire Hall.
Today Monmouth is now primarily a centre for service industries and tourism. Its good road links have also made it popular as a commuting centre for South Wales and Bristol.
There are information boards around the town with details of a Blue Plaque Trail .
There is also a Geoffrey of Monmouth trail.
cont...
The town was granted its first royal charter in 1256 and became important as the market for a rich agricultural region. Monmouth and the surrounding area had a high reputation for the quality of its livestock.
Town walls were built around 1300 and Monnow Bridge was fortified. It is the only one of its type remaining in Britain. It later became a toll collection point, jail and later a private home.
Henry V was born in the castle in 1386.
Monnow Street with its burgage plots linked the bridge and the castle.
The C16th Robin Hood Inn is one of the oldest buildings in the town. In the C18th, the upper room was used by Catholics to celebrate mass, until the Penal Laws against Catholics were relaxed in 1778, and they were able to build their own church.
Cornwall House dating from the C17th is the last remaining privately occupied house on Monnow Street.
By 1600 Monmouth was a wealthy, bustling town, with potters, tanners, nail makers and cappers boosting the local economy. It had iron and tinplate works, as well as paper and corn mills and was an important river port with warehouses and wharves along the Wye. William Jones, a prominent merchant founded a school here in 1614. (The present building dates from 1865.)
The castle changed hands several times during the Civil War and the Parliamentarians demolished most of it to stop it being used again. Great Castle House was built on the site in 1673 for Henry Somerset, the 3rd Marquis of Worcester. He was Lord President of the Council of Wales and the Marches and wanted a house befitting to his status. It served as the Assize Court until Shire Hall was built.
Shire Hall built in 1724,was formerly the centre for the Assize Courts and Quarter Sessions for Monmouthshire. In 1839/40, the court was the location of the trial of the Chartist leader John Frost and others for high treason for their part in the Newport Rising. It now houses the offices of Monmouth Town Council as well as the Tourist Information Centre and a museum celebrating the history & heritage of Monmouth and the Wye Valley. The courtroom and holding cells have been restored to their 1840s appearance.
This is the heart of the old town with Agincourt Square and surrounded by C16th coaching inns and other splendid buildings.
Nelson visited the town in 1802 as the area was an important source of timber for the British Navy and shipbuilding.
The Market Hall on Priory Street was built in 1837-9 as part of the redevelopment of Monmouth Town Centre. This housed The Nelson Museum and Local History Centre, which will be moved into the refurbished museum in Shire Hall.
By the end of the C18th, Monmouth had become a popular centre for visitors to the area with its close proximity to the Forest of Dean and Wye Valley.
In the Late C19th /early C20th Monmouth had close links with the Rolls Family (of Rolls-Royce fame) who were substantial landowners and there is a statue of Charles Rolls in front of Shire Hall.
Today Monmouth is now primarily a centre for service industries and tourism. Its good road links have also made it popular as a commuting centre for South Wales and Bristol.
There are information boards around the town with details of a Blue Plaque Trail .
There is also a Geoffrey of Monmouth trail.
cont...