• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Montecatini Terme?

RachelP

10+ Posts
Montecatini Terme.... has anyone been there? Looks like some lovely hotels with pools. I am wondering what the town itself is like and would it be heaving with people in August. Also, how are the eating out options? I am thinking day trip to Lucca on the train... looks like a funicular railway also which could be fun... and plenty of pool time for the kids. What are your thoughts?
Many thanks, Rachel

We've been to Montecatini Terme a couple of times. We never used the baths, but I know a lot of people have enjoyed the experience. I have a friend who has attended conferences in the city (medical conferences, so don't think he or his colleagues would be going somewhere that wasn't top flight).

For towns around Florence, we find Prato (the old town) and Pistoia more welcoming, but without the spas/pools that you're looking for. The train service between Florence and Lucca is frequent, so any town you select between the two towns will be good. The trains tend to fill up at the two terminus points above, so not always easy to find a seat when boarding at an intermediate stop, depending on time of day.

If you go to Lucca, Poli's Bikes in Piazza Santa Maria is immediately beside the wall and a nice place start an enjoyable ride around the walls with your kids (2 1/2 mile circuit with parks and green space all along the way for stops).

I've been to Montecatini Terme, but didn't go to the baths. We had a huge luxury suite at the Grand Hotel because my husband was there for our company's executive meetings. While he worked, I walked around and throughly enjoyed it. Since I also worked for the same company, all of our meals were handled by our Italian co-workers, who selected incredible restaurants outside the town. I think it would be fine for a day trip, maybe one night. We also had a private car and driver, so I don't know about exploring the area by car. I can't see using it as a base.

I hardily agree on going to Lucca!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina