• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Month Long Rome Rentals?

Brad C. Hodson

As our trip planning continues changing and evolving, we're now kicking around the idea of just living in Rome for a month (preferably in Trastevere). Are there any sites or apartments that any of you might recommend for getting a good deal on a long term rental?

I found some great prices on accomodationsrome.com, but a search for reviews on that site showed a lot of folks who had problems with double bookings and poor communication.

It may not be possible, but I'd love to spend less than what I'm finding on AirBNB.

I have a list of some Rome agencies: https://www.sloweurope.com/vacationrentals/italy/rome/

In the US a one month rental is long term because you avoid some taxes with rentals over 30 days, but I don't think it is the same in Europe. Try to find a well priced place and ask for a discount but be prepared to get only a small discount.

Have a look at Bed and Breakfast Assoc of Rome and Dole Roma. I knew them in my SlowTrav days and they were good agencies.
http://www.b-b.rm.it/
http://www.dolceroma.it/

Also try Massimo with Rome is Home if his apartment is the right size.
http://www.rome-is-home.com/

marcellonaang@yahoo.com has a 2 bedroom apartment over by porta pio. The price was definitely reasonable. I don't want to quote you a price because we have been renting from him for 8 years and we may get an old timer's discount.

Master bedroom has a king size bed, second a single. Nice (if small kitchen). Location is right behind the British Embassy. Lots of other embassies in the area. Great public transit. 6 blocks to gran termini.

Tell him Mary Hanson (bonzersmom) recommended the apartment if you decide to inquire.

Thanks, Mary! That sounds great. And if you've been renting there for 8 years, it sounds like you love it. I'll email him now!

I don't want you going into this starry eyed.

He only rents for a month no less. You can do longer. We have done the whole 90 day schengen allowance there. It isn't a particularly hip or cool area but I figure any place with armed guards outside 5 different embassies plus the Italian Treasury department is pretty safe. We haven't had a pick pocket attempt in the neighborhood during the time we have stayed there. Violent crime is pretty much non existent but that is true in most of Italy.

Pull up a Google map find the British consulate and it is the first building south of it. It is an immigrant neighborhood which translates to lots of different ethnic restaurants. Not particularly historically significant or "charming". Oldest building probably doesn't date back more than 200 years. No little hidden frescoes, gargoyles or fountains. Mixed offices and some residential.

Apartment is quiet but no AC if you are going in the summer.

There is a metro stop 3 blocks away (Castro). The old wall about equal distance. The Borghese park is within easy walking distance. The area outside porta Pio is a charming working class neighborhood. Location of one of the best porchetta places in Rome. Always packed.

Restaurant downstairs and toward the Brit embassy is excellent but pricey with a lot of expense account diners. Nice coffee shop out the door.

Area closer toward termini gets dicier so watch your pocket book.

One last thing. Rome is worth a month. Rome is worth as long as you can stay. I am at 2.5 years in Rome over the past 20 years. I jokingly say that while I have managed to see 90% of Rome's museums I have not seen more than 5 of its churches. Sad but true.

There is ALWAYS something going on in Rome. A world class art exhibition, opera, movie openings, festivals (my fave is the gelato festival).

A great day trip and accessible by metro is the gardens at Tivoli.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina