• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

My Grand Tour Is Becoming Reality!

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I've booked our transportation for next summer, along with a few nights lodging - filling in the blanks will be the most challenging part, esp for Ireland. Here's where I am now, departing the last week of June:

• Fly to DC for a long weekend with our granddaughters - flight booked, rental car booked. Will check periodically to see if prices drop since the flight is with SWA and the car is with AE. If for some reason the grandgirls aren't there we can switch the flight directly to Philly and cancel the rental car.
  • Drive to Philly, drop of rental car, then fly to Dublin. Flight booked with FF miles
  • Spend our first 4 days (Tues-Fri) in a 1 BR apt I found on Booking.com. €434 for 4 nights, good location, good reviews.
  • Pick up our 2 week rental car at Dublin Airport - booked
  • Still have to book rooms at 5 locations throughout Ireland
  • Last night in Ireland will be spent at an airport motel, due to the early flight time - Radisson booked, but it's pricey, and I'll continue to check for a better price or a different hotel.
  • Flight from Dublin to Leeds - booked with BA, but we have to fly thru London (LHR) due to luggage restrictions on the partner airlines.
  • Rental car for 4 weeks in England booked
  • 2 weeks in Yorkshire booked
  • 2 weeks in Sussex booked
  • Last night at LHR Novotel booked
  • Flight from London to Munich booked
  • Car rental, 1 week MUC-MUC, booked
  • Still have to select a 2 BR apt in Stubaital, Austria. We'll be sharing with friends from Switzerland
  • Room at Munich airport Novotel booked
  • Morning flight from Munich to Rome booked
  • Rental car from Rome - researched but not yet booked.
  • Staying with our friend in Umbria again - she actually wants us back!
  • Returning home via transatlantic cruise - booked.
In addition to booking rooms I also need to think about a framework of itineraries for Ireland, Yorkshire and Sussex. I need to get some idea of where places are in relation to one another, and how much we'll be able to see/do/drive on any given day. For Austria once I select a location and an apartment I think the walks in that area will be easy to discover once we arrive.

I was satisfied with the airline prices, esp since we have luggage to consider. We'll be allowed one checked bag each (50 lbs), one 18 lb carry-on, and one smaller item. Some of the smaller airlines have tighter restrictions on the carry-on sizes, so we ended up using British Airways and Lufthansa because they had the best allowances, and competitive prices.

I feel like one weight has lifted, just getting all of this organized and booked, but I still feel a lot of pressure about organizing the day to day stuff. I don't like to have rigid plans, but I do like to know what things there are to see, decide which ones interest us, and have a loose idea of what we might do. Weather is always a factor, and there are days when you just want to relax, or do laundry. Figuring out when to do laundry in Ireland is my only real challenge - the other places have washing machines.

I have 4 folders - Yellow for Ireland, Red for England, Green for Germany/Austria and Blue for Italy. Now to fill them up!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina