• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Naples? early May or somewhere else around Rome

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
I will have spent a week in Venice then my husband flies into Rome and we have about a week. We have already been to the Almafi Coast, Florence, and parts of Rome & Ostia [among other places further afield] and I'm trying to come up with a place to see/stay for that week which would be a good base of operations but also let us see and experience new things. We have never really spent time in Naples and that's one option [we have already visited Pompeii,Herculanum etc.] and while I realize seeing more of all these places, again, may be wonderful it'd be nice to explore a bit. I guess I'd like to rent a car [not to be used in Naples no doubt] so we can get out to the country a bit.

Any suggestions of where we should focus? Should we stay in Naples or close by and if so, where outside should we head when we want to do that?

Many thanks for all the help. Victoria

I spent a week in Naples a few years ago, with my mother. We both loved it... chaotic, gritty and teeming with life. So many layers of history and culture.

We were there to see the city itself though, rather than using it as a base to see the surrounding area. So I'm not sure if would suit what you're looking for or not. (The only daytrip we made was taking the ferry to Capri, where we spent most of the day hiking down Monte Solari.) We found lots to see and do in Naples. Museums, churches, castles, amazing views, waterfront promenade for strolling, people watching...and the pizza really does live up to its reputation!

Mind you, there's graffiti everywhere, and much evidence of poverty, especially if you veer outside the historic centre, which can be tough to witness. But we never felt unsafe at any point, and didn't take any extra precautions beyond what we take in other cities like Rome or Paris.

The Napoli Unplugged guide to Naples is a great resource.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina