• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Naples to Amalfi Coast...by ferry?

Christian

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Is it possible to go from Naples to the Amalfi Coast (any of the villages, really) by water? I would imagine there is a ferry service during the summer months? I have heard horror stories about the train system in that part of Italy (the "Circumvesuvia") and I whas thinking, hey, maybe the alternative is to do it on water rather than by land (we don't drive). Any advice? We will be there in early-June. Thanks!

If the NaplesBayFerry site is accurate, "unfortunately there are no longer direct routes by sea from Naples to the Amalfi Coast." Once you get to Sorrento (or the other end at Salerno), there are ferry options.

One option is to take the train from Napoli to Salerno and then make the short walk to the port where there are ferry services (travelmar, alicost). Our prefered way to get to locations along the Amalfitano is by ferry.

Yes, the Circumvesuviana Train runs from Naples to Sorrento. It's not a luxury ride, for sure! We also took it from Sorrento to Pompeii.

Anyway, according to this, there are hydrofoils from Napoli to Sorrento. I think they're weather dependent. I've not used this to travel between the cities.
"
Napoli - Sorrento

The times refer to the current week (all exception are listed in the notes), and are updated based on the information provided by the ferry companies. From April to October, routes are much more frequent. We suggest you double-check the schedule a few days before your travel dates!"
https://www.naplesbayferry.com/en/t/napoli/sorrento

We were based in Sorrento and took the ferries to the villages on the coast, and over to Capri.

Last summer Alilauro ran a Naples to the coast route but it was very limited, only once or maybe twice a day as I recall. There was a second route that did the "milk run" down the coast, making lots of stops, but this was also only once per day. If you look on their web site they have a route listed from Napoli (Beverello) to Amalfi but there are no times right now because it's seasonal.

You could also take Alilauro to Sorrento, wait about an hour and then take their Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi ferry. Once on the coast you can switch to the more frequent and less expensive Travel Mar ferries (also seasonal).

I found the link for the Alilauro info from last summer but they've removed the last page, the one that had the summer only ferry so it's not useful (link is here if you want to see, there used to be a page 4: http://www.alilauro.it/images/stp/11_fileorarimodificatipersitoweb1.pdf).

The direct route ran once a day last summer, departing Naples Beverello at
8:10 in the morning and arriving to Amalfi just an hour and a quarter later. There was only one return on this route, departing Amalfi at 18:50 or Positano at 19:20, arriving to Naples at 20:30. We'll have to wait and see if they open it again this summer.

At the other end of the day you can depart Amalfi at 18:50 or Positano at 19:20, arriving to Naples at 20:30 in plenty of time f

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina