• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Naples Tour Guide

LoveItaly

10+ Posts
We have a port stop in Naples early June and would like to spend the day there instead of doing the usually shore excursions to Capri, Pompeii, Amalfi coast since we've been to all of those more than once. We've always avoided Naples for all the reasons you read about and would finally like to give Naples a chance and spend the day exploring and, of course, having pizza. I would like to hire a guide for at least half a day walking tour so any recommendations would be great.

Carole

Last edited:
I can't help with a guide recommendation, but I feel Naples gets a little over criticised.
Yes it is dirty, edgy, gritty - all of these things - but it is vibrant, and I've always found the people really helpful.

I love getting an all day public transport ticket, taking the funiculars up to the hill tops, looking at the view across the city from the Castel Sant Elmo, then heading back down and exploring all along the Spaccanapoli.

Naples is great for a lot of reasons but it's particularly good for cruise ship visitors because the port is right in town. You walk off the ship and are facing a castle. There is a new metro station across the street from the cruise port that can get you up the hill to (or close to) many of the sites of interest to visitors, walking back to the ship is easy as it's gently downhill almost the entire way.

The core of Naples is concentrated and extremely easy to see on your own. The walk from the port to the history museum takes you through some wonderful old neighborhoods, complete with fish vendors and open air markets and (if you survive the traffic when you have to cross streets) is well worth it. I'd strongly suggest getting a good audio guide and/or just a printed guide and going on your own -- and treat yourself to a nice drink to go with that pizza with your savings.

I love Naples. Its vibrant, alive, and wonderful just to walk through and soak up the culture. We had an apartment overlooking the history museum and did the walk to the port several times. In addition, if you have a chance do walk down Tribunali. You get a good taste of Naples, though many places do cater to tourists.

Another Naples lover here. Incredible city! Can't help with guide, unfortunately, except to suggest a guidebook - Napoli Unplugged. Great resource thst might give you a feel for the place and help narrow down what districts/sights you want to see. We spent a week there a couple years ago and barely scratched the surface. Yes, definitely have pizza...we ate at several places and the one that stands out for me is Di Matteo on via Tibunali 94. I have no words for their margherita pizza.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so might not need a guide after all. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with. Definitely have Di Matteo on the list. Is there any areas to definitely avoid?

Carole

The family and I just got back from a week long trip to Sorrento and even though we didnt stay in Naples we did make a trip over to Naples to visit both Pompeii and Herculaneum. Both sites are a real step back in time and most definitely worth your time especially Herculaneum which until this trip I hadn't ever heard of, but is now is top of my list for a return trip. Pompeii is huge with much to see but Herculaneum just seems to hold more of a story and because of the way it was covered with hot mud rather than ash and pumice stone the organic materials in some cases have survived leaving stair cases and roof structures. Are sure there are many things to do in the city of Naples but you cant visit without seeing one of these. I would visit Herculaneum in the morning before the sun really gets hot as you are effectively in a hole in the ground.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina