• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Naples ??

jan

100+ Posts
I am beginning to hunt for possible 1 bedroom apartments in Naples for a week next April. The locations are a mystery to me. Anyone have a grasp of Naples enough to suggest where would be a good area to look into to rent?
Or a recommendation for a specific apartment?

Grazie.

I've stayed five or six times in the Shannon & Colleen apartment, it's a two bed, two bath just off Piazza Municipio. I love it and have stayed there alone even though I don't need all the space because I like the location and the owner, and I'm comfortable there.

I deal with the owner directly, I'll have to dig around to see if I can find information on line about the apartment.

Edited to note: I guess they have taken down the Slowtrav reviews, I know I wrote one years ago.

Last edited:
Try using the "contact owner" function and see if you get a response that way. I contact Marco, the owner, directly now without going through any of the web sites.

Will do.
Meanwhile does anyone have an understanding of the neighborhoods?
Is Vomero too far out. For us, too far would be more than 20 minute walk to the "major attractions".
If you stay in the Spanish quarter will it necessarily be noisy?

Vomero is very nice but I find it too far from things personally. It's way up on the hill so you'd probably want to use the metro or a funicolare back and forth rather than walking. It also doesn't feel as much like Naples to me, it's almost a sanitized version of Naples (a lot of US military officers with families rent there, it's the least different from home section).

Chiaia is also quite lovely but a bit removed from the heart of things for my taste. Again, an easy bus or metro ride to the heart if you find something you like there.

Santa Lucia/Via Partenope, the area right around Castel dell'Ovo, is very popular and a nice compromise of beautiful waterfront setting and relative quiet yet an easy walk to the heart of things.

The Spanish quarter is exciting, tight of space, and busy. If you like that kind of environment you'll love it there.

The area around Piazza Bellini is also popular. The piazza itself is ringed with cafes and restaurants and attracts crowds until late in the evening.

Because I always stay at Marco's I'm near Piazza Municipio. I like its central location and easy access but I'll admit that it's not the most charming part of Naples.

Hi Jan, I've only been to Naples once so am far from an expert! But stayed here and I'd stay again in a heartbeat:

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p6583387

Mom and I really liked it. Very near Piazza Dante, which was a great location for us. I posted a review in the Italy rentals forum page. Bit of a gritty neighbourhood, but we never once felt insecure.

I have a question for Ellen re the Piazaa Municipio area. I found a great looking apt that appears to be on or near Piazza Francese near the teatro Mercadante. I looked on google maps and there appears to be major construction at the rear of the Castel Nuovo. Also on the map it appears that there are major roadways that would need to be crossed to reach other tourust areas. We plan to do sightseeing on foot and it looks like it might be difficult to navigate these roadways. Please Ellen if you could comment on this area I would appreciate it. Many thanks!!
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18283156?s=51

What do you think about renting a car at the train station in Naples, to drive to Montpulciano area (staying at Poggio Etrusco--https://www.poggio-etrusco.com/ ) ?
We originally thought of taking the train to Chiusi or Orvieto but that seems like paying for train tickets AND a car. If it seems like it would be too stressful to drive from Naples, I would be willing to pay but the train seems like a bit of a hassle too, having to change in Rome and all that.

Hi Jan
What about this direct train from Napoli to Chiusi-Chianciamo Terme
10:31Napoli Centrale
Arrivo
14:08Chiusi-Chianciano Terme
Durata
3h 37'
Treno
Intercity 35290
https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/search.do?parameter=searchOutputViewer&cFID=AkJ7qedUt18W

Timing should be good, no changes and Chiusi station area much less stressful to start from than Napoli. Only a very short and straightforward drive from there to Montepulciano.

regards
Ian

Last edited:
Reactions: jan
I have a question for Ellen re the Piazaa Municipio area. I found a great looking apt that appears to be on or near Piazza Francese near the teatro Mercadante. I looked on google maps and there appears to be major construction at the rear of the Castel Nuovo. Also on the map it appears that there are major roadways that would need to be crossed to reach other tourust areas. We plan to do sightseeing on foot and it looks like it might be difficult to navigate these roadways. Please Ellen if you could comment on this area I would appreciate it. Many thanks!!
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/18283156?s=51
Caroline, I'm so sorry I didn't see this, I was away for several weeks and simply didn't get back to anything.

There is construction around Castel Nuovo, it's part of the new Municipio metro station. Not surprisingly, when they started digging they came across ancient ruins so they're doing a simultaneous archaeology project along with the subway. It really doesn't impact getting around on foot, it's more of an issue for cars and buses. For those going to/from the port at Molo Beverello there is a pedestrian walkway alongside of the construction, it's actually interesting to walk along it and look down on the work.

I am very comfortable in that neighborhood but I will tell you that it is very diverse, with a lot of immigrants. Several of the small stores are owned by Korean families and carry and interesting mix of Italian and Korean foodstuffs.

What do you think about renting a car at the train station in Naples, to drive to Montpulciano area (staying at Poggio Etrusco--https://www.poggio-etrusco.com/ ) ?
We originally thought of taking the train to Chiusi or Orvieto but that seems like paying for train tickets AND a car. If it seems like it would be too stressful to drive from Naples, I would be willing to pay but the train seems like a bit of a hassle too, having to change in Rome and all that.
I always try to avoid multiple transportation changes if possible. Driving in downtown Naples is stressful for several reasons; the way people there drive, the fact that you don't know where you are, and the ZTLs. The train station is several blocks away from any of the ZTLs but it's still a challenge.

I would suggest instead picking up a rental car at the airport and driving from there. The airport is quite close to downtown, a €20 or so cab ride or a €4 bus ride on the Alibus. The airport is right on an entrance to the autostrada so it could not be easier.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina