• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Need help deciding on apartments in Reykjavik

Colleen

10+ Posts
This place https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/942811 is my favorite (in my price range!) of the apartments we've looked at, but this one also looks good at half the price: http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p2389876 <- not much character but it's only for three nights...

One more for your consideration - simply furnished, lots of light: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1244964

Added: This is for the end of our trip - two single travelers who'll have been touring the country for a week and will have dropped off the rental car. Each apartment is within about a 20 minute walk of the city center, and that's fine with us.

Thoughts? Comments? We're going in mid-August, which is still high season so we want to get our lodging booked soon.

Thanks!
Colleen

Someone already pointed this out on Facebook, but the bathroom in that first one is not good. No shower and you can't stand up in the tub. All a bit too in the eaves I think. It is the most interesting of the 3, but might it be one of those places where the owner moves out when it is rented. Lots of personal things in those photos.

The second one maybe too boring from the outside?

The third one is spacious and has those nice wooden floors. But it looks a bit boring too from the outside. Have you walked by them on google maps, to see the neighborhood?

And why don't you ever come to England to visit us?

I agree with Pauline that the bath/shower arrangement would rule the first one out for me, even though it's got plenty of character.

Yes, that second one doesn't look at all pretty from the outside - but does that really matter? The thing that worries me more is the absence of reviews - otherwise, it would be my clear choice, I think. The other airbnb one is all a bit spartan...

The loft apartment owner said it wasn't available for our dates after all! I guess the online booking calendar wasn't up to date. Oh well.

Thanks for those links, Pauline. I'll see if anything turns up that I like better than the two above ... they ARE confirmed available as of yesterday! I don't really care how a place looks from the outside, except well maintained - but using Google Earth to have a look around is a really good idea. Then we'll have to decide.

Pretty close - the apartment is near Hallgrimskirkja (the big church) that I've been using as a landmark. It'll be a new neighborhood for us - last time we stayed close to the harbor for four days then moved to the university district. Got our confirmation this morning - W00t!

IMG_4235.JPG

I need to write a review of that apartment!

We were very pleased with its comfort and location. The owner accommodated us when the Reykjavik Marathon roadblocks delayed our arrival and when we wanted to leave a little late on our departure date.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina