• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

New Patricia Wells Food Lover's Guide to Paris

and not an amazon link, as I encourage everybody to use their local bookstore.
:D I completely agree!!!

I just bought Patricia Wells' The New Food Lover's Guide to Paris app for my iPad. Love it, so far... but I have yet to use it in Paris... 37 days to go!

I wonder if the app has been updated with the content in the new edition of the book. The latest version of the app was January, and it said it was only minor bug fixes. By the way, there is not a specific app for the iPad. You have to buy the app for the iPhone, which you may not be able to download directly to the iPad. However, if you download it to your computer, you can transfer it to the iPad but you have to run it at 2x to fill the screen, which means not the best resolution. Also, on my iPad it runs only in portrait, not landscape, mode.

I wonder if the app has been updated with the content in the new edition of the book. The latest version of the app was January, and it said it was only minor bug fixes. By the way, there is not a specific app for the iPad. You have to buy the app for the iPhone, which you may not be able to download directly to the iPad. However, if you download it to your computer, you can transfer it to the iPad but you have to run it at 2x to fill the screen, which means not the best resolution. Also, on my iPad it runs only in portrait, not landscape, mode.

Interesting Roz! Ever since I read this I've been trying to decide what I have here with Patricia Wells' The New Food Lover's Guide to Paris app. The way it is worded, it appeared to be based on The New Food Lover's Guide to Paris book which has just been launched. When I went to the "details" page of the app, under version history, it said: Version 1.2 Updated Nov. 25, 2013: "Major content uploads to match the upcoming release of The New Foodlover's Guide To Paris." Hmm, what do you think?

Even though there is not a specific app for iPad, I never had to sinc it from my computer or my iPhone. It fills the screen of my iPad and yes, it only runs in portrait. Is it a case of a blind hog sometimes finding an acorn? Half the time I'm not sure how these technologies work and I rarely understand how I manage... but I often do...

I already love this app & can't wait to use it! But, as per this Chowhound review/discussion, not every one is pleased with Patricia Well's efforts.

As an aside, reading about Katie Parla's travails about writing (and self publishing?) an app, it is not only difficult but very expensive . When we talked about the landscape/portrait issue on a Roma tour a few years back, she said adding landscape would have been prohibitively expensive...

Edited to add: Oh, I just opened my app, and noticed I have another new update. They're mainly just address & opening time updates ~ that's 10 so far in 2014.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina