• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Northern Spain Recommendation... Please

Colo

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We are planning a trip to Porto and Northern Spain in October. It will be a three-week journey that we have wanted to do for a long time. Our planning is almost complete with on major hole. Any advice or recommendations would be welcomed.

We start in Porto for 3 days, then to Vigo, Spain for 4 days, Ribeira Sacra & Monforte de Lemos for 2 days, Leon for 4 days, and then we have a gap of 3 days.

We will be doing day trips from each of our stops. Spanish wine is my passion and Green Spain is one of my favorite regions.

Not sure if we should head east to Rioja or head north to Gijon before closing out the last 4 days of our journey in Bilbao.

Any suggestions on going east on the purple line or north on the red line?

MapGrSp.jpg

Purple line
On our northern Spain trip we stayed in Laguardia, a very nice medieval walled city. We stayed at a winery just outside the city walls - Antigua Bodega de Don Cosme Palacio.
Besides Haro and Laguardia we visited the winery Dinastia Vivanco www.dinastiavivanco.es where they have one of the best if not the best wine museums in the world.

We also visited Ribera del Duero staying in Arando del Duero and visiting the town of Penafiel.
Must see is the Penafiel castle (stunning views) and they have a decent wine museum as well.
Wineries we visited were
Bodegas Félix Callejo
Avenida del Cid, Km. 16
E09441-Sotillo de la Ribera
Abadia Retuerta they are housed in a 12th century Abbey
Sardon De Duero
47340 Valladolid https://www.abadia-retuerta.com/en

Here are a few things to consider from a friend.
Bolded wineries are ones we visited
Dedicate one day of your visit to the wineries in Haro. The town of Haro is located about half hour west from Laguardia. In Haro you can visit Roda, López de Heredia, Muga, La Rioja Alta and CVNE. My recommendation is to visit the first three wineries mentioned. They are walking distance from each other and you will get a good flavor of Rioja from the most traditional, López de Heredia, to one of the most modern ones, Roda.

You can dedicate another day in the Rioja Alavesa region. Over there you can visit Remírez de Ganuza, Remelluri, Contino, Viña Real & Artadi. Remelluri's estate is one of the most beautiful in Rioja. There is a small chapel a few centuries old and their vineyards lie on the foothills of the Sierra Cantabria mountains. Sometimes they take you on a four wheel drive up the vineyards and you can get great views of Rioja. Viña Real is probably one of the most modern wineries you will ever visit and they will probably serve you wines from their other two sister wineries CVNE and Contino.

laurel Street
Las Duelas in Haro is probably one of the best restaurants in the region. You can also do a great tapas crawl in Laurel street in Logroño.
If you make it to Logrono here a few pintxos recommendations on Laurel Street.

Fuego Negro

La Cuchara de San Telmo
is another one of the acclaimed spots, that focuses completely on pintxos to order rather than laying out the plates that you pick and choose from.

Zeruko

La Cepa
, famed for their jamon

Gandarias, hopping crowd, had a great veal solomillo here.

Txepetxa, famed for their large selection of anchovy pintxos which is what they stick to

Cuchara de San Telmo – similarly good menu of pintxos made to order, hard to choose from.

Another thing you can do, if you can get in, is to visit Marques de Riscal in Elciego to see the Frank Gehry designed property.

Ysisos winery outside of Laguardia has stunning architecture as well.

Mark - Thanks for all the great info!
We did indeed decide on the purple route.
Narrowing it down from between 2 Airbnbs - One in Haro or the other in Logroño

I know one winery I will be going to is Luis Cañas in Villabuena, Alva is one of my favorites.
López de Heredia is also a must but have not made reservations yet.

Once again thanks for the input!

Something funny seems to have happened with Mark's copying & pasting of his friend’s recommendations for Logroño: all those boldened places (Fuego Negro, Cuchara de San Telmo, etc) are actually pinxto bars in San Sebastián - and the descriptions (Cuchara de ST's made-to-order pintxos, etc) match my experiences there.

I haven’t yet been to Logroño, but a quick scan of Google Maps doesn’t show any duplication of those names in Calle del Laurel.

thanks jonathan - I was just getting ready to start looking for those places.
Maybe when Mark checks back he can update
:) please

Sorry about that my friend who had recommended those places said it was on Laurel , I must have misunderstood that his reccs were not in Logrono.
The bold on those pintxo places was the font I had cut and pasted, not wineries

No worries Mark! We are planning a longgggg day in San Sebastian - the list will still be helpful.

I don't think López de Heredia does visits unless you are in the wine business or some sort of related professional. They have a shop where you might be able to taste. Across the street is Gomez Cruzado which has excellent wines as well and is open to all.

Try to make a stop in Vitoria-Gasteiz which is an underrated gem with some excellent restaurants and good places for pintxos as well. It is a hell of a lot more lively than Haro. I did stay at a really nice apartment in Haro if you want the link. Maybe it is better now, but in May when I was there a lot of bars and restaurants were closed midweek - like nothing was open on a Wednesday!

Shannon,

Thanks for the input. We did decided to get a place in Logroño (with parking). I am working through a distributor on our tours. I am not in the wine business per say, but definitely an avid consumer. Couple years ago, I got my Spanish Wine Scholar rating and have been doing presentations to groups since then. My hope is that through the distributor I will be able to tour López de Heredia, but I know it may be a tough nut to crack.

I adding Vitoria-Gasteiz to the list - looks like a great place to explore.

Hello Colo:
Close to Logrono and a short side trip on the way to Vitoria-Gasteiz we found the bodegas Ysios in Laguardia and Marques de Riscal in Elciego worth a visit for their architectural merit. The Ysios bodega was designed by Calatrava, the Marques hotel by Geary. The tours at both were informative, the tastings comprehensive with tapas. We preferred the Ysios tasting. At the Marques site a tour of the hotel is not included.
Dennis

Thanks Dennis! I definitely want to drive by of Marques de Riscal Hotel. We did confirm a harvest tour at Luis Cañas

Ysisos is on my short list and is very close to Luis Cañas. Do you remember what tour option you took?

We visited before the Covid outbreak. They have changed visiting options. The closest present visit option that matches our experience is the 25 Euro one. However the cost was about half! Even without a tour the setting and appearance of the bodega is spectacular
On a personal note I would skip a tour at Ysios . The tour at Luis Cañas is better value.
Salud.
Dennis

I don't think López de Heredia does visits unless you are in the wine business or some sort of related professional
Well the request is in.... But my bet is they will say no! Fingers crossed

We are planning a trip to Porto and Northern Spain in October. It will be a three-week journey that we have wanted to do for a long time. Our planning is almost complete with on major hole. Any advice or recommendations would be welcomed.

We start in Porto for 3 days, then to Vigo, Spain for 4 days, Ribeira Sacra & Monforte de Lemos for 2 days, Leon for 4 days, and then we have a gap of 3 days.

We will be doing day trips from each of our stops. Spanish wine is my passion and Green Spain is one of my favorite regions.

Not sure if we should head east to Rioja or head north to Gijon before closing out the last 4 days of our journey in Bilbao.

Any suggestions on going east on the purple line or north on the red line?

View attachment 37306
We loved Rioja and were there in 2019. Here are some notes from my diary. I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Hotel Collaldo. The hotel is on several levels, built into the hill, and one does walk stairs. Our room is downstairs. Room #4 (Ciggarelo) is large room with antique furnishings, elegant bathroom with tub and shower, sitting room, etc. ( Room #2 (Navigator) is a regular room with a sauna in the middle of the bedroom!) We had to walk the bags up a walkway from the parking lot across the street to get to the hotel, then a few stairs to get to the door that let us right to our rooms. We went to the “Lunch Restaurant” on the lower hotel terrace and had pintxos. Then we walked through the lovely old town. I can see why Maribel
https://maribelsguides.com
says this is her favorite town in Rioja Alavesa – it is gorgeous with spectacular views. We are in wine country with vineyards everywhere you look– not txokoli here!.

Dinner here is later than it was in San Sebastian; no dinner openings until 8 or 9 pm. We went to Gastropub Dona Blanca at 7:30 and were told that the kitchen didn’t open until 8. So we went for a walk, enjoying a beautiful sunset, and went back at 8:15 at the same time a large wine tasting tour arrived. They took over the front room and we were seated in a very nice back room The food was not heavy and was delicious. Rioja style is “down home cooking.” We got a bottle of Marquis de Riscal dry white suggested by Diko (E16.50) and took the remaining ½ bottle home.

La Fabulista bodega tour at 1:00. It is clear that you must have a reservation to tour a winery, so we were lucky. The tour was great. Fabulista is one of only two underground wineries in the city walls. Monte was the darling and lively tour guide. Her English was great, and when it wasn’t she was good humored and we all helped. She began outside of the building explaining who Fabulist was (the Spanish Aesop) and how his family was the richest in Laguardia and started the winery. The tour took 1 ½ hours, was delightful, and E8 pp well worth it. We then had lunch on the terrace of Biazteri. The menu del dia at E14.95 was a good value.

AT 5:00 we went to tour the church of Maria (Mary). A huge tour group arrived behind us, but we all got in. Unfortunately it was all in Spanish. A printed English explanation was made available to us but was difficult to understand. The church is famous for the many carved and painted statues around and over the main alter which tell the story of Jesus’ birth. Mary is the center and her large wooden painted statue is the centerpiece.

Late afternoon we took the 2k walk to see Bodega Ysios, the Calatrava building. We could see it across the vineyards as a view from the hotel. It was a great walk at that time of day and the views of Ysios as we grew nearer were spectacular. It is simply a breathtaking building in the shadow of a limestone mountain.

2:00 lunch at 1860 Tradicion inside the Gehry hotel, dress smart casual. This is a very tightly secured area. After parking in the outlaying lot, we had to stop at the guard office to tell them that we indeed did have a reservation for the 1860 Tradicion restaurant, and then they showed us where to walk to get to the hotel. The Gehry building is spectacular with is undulating pink and gold titanium ribbons. We walked into the very bare lobby, only an information desk there, and were directed to the elevator that would take us directly to the restaurant. It is beautiful on the terrace which is where our table was, from the luscious marbled green dishes, green water glasses, heavy modern silver utensils to the views. Lunch was a splurge, and well worth it. As expected, the service is outstanding as is the food. You can’t get into the Gehry hotel without being a room guest (heaven only knows how much a room goes for) or have a restaurant reservation. The hotel is a separate building from the winery where one takes the tour and visits the gift shop.

We did take a lovely walk all the way on the path around the walls. We found, at the south portico, a plaque remembering that this was a Jewish area prior to the Inquisition. It became a Capuchin convent later on..

Thanks

We are currently in Spain with only 6 days left of our adventure. I am blogging, but not real time. The blog is about a week behind. I was going to wait and post the completed blog on trip reports when we returned home, but here is the link if you would like to preview: October in España

We have had three winery visits that were simply amazing that I will document in the coming days. One in Bierzo and two in Rioja.

Rioja is beautiful right now as the harvest is done and all the grapes vines are turning red and yellow.

Fall Rioja.jpg

Once again thanks for the input

Promise more to come. Hope to have next install loaded tonight... or not.
Having too much fun to sit at the computer too long.

Update - I did add new post tonight :)

Last edited:
Thanks - It truly was an amazing tour!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina