• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Northern Spain

Chris

500+ Posts
After four straight years of travel to France, this year I'm going to Barcelona in October for a week+ on my own, then meeting Shannon for another week in smaller towns in Catalonia. I've never been to Spain, so I'm very excited. In Barcelona, I'm staying in this apartment recommended by Nancy Li in this slowtrav review. I'm counting on Shannon to tell me where we're staying the second week!

I can't wait to show Chris Catalonia. Its one of the most beautiful regions in Europe.

If you get a chance, I highly recommend visiting Salvador Dali's house in Portlligat, though the museum in Figueres was too overrun with people to be enjoyable.

Agree, Dalí's house is huge fun! Girona too is fascinating (and home to the world's best restaurant in 2013, El Celler de Can Roca—book now if you want a table (and have very deep pockets!). The northern Costa Brava, especially around the Begur peninsula, is wonderful...and don't miss Tarragona, if you have time. In October the weather should still be pretty decent, too.

I just got back from Barcelona Chris - you're going to love it.

Can I come along with you and Shannon?? :)

I just spent a week updating our app Barcelona Unbound (based on our Cadogan city guide) and found some pretty wonderful new things to see, if you're going that way. Domenech i Mutaner's Modernista Casa Lleó i Morera on the Passeig de Gràcia is open for guided tours, and Gaudí's first house, Casa Vicens has just been purchased, with the idea of opening it to the into a branch gallery of the Hermitage in Leningrad. But best of all you can now visit another Gaudí residence far from the crowds—the delightful Gothic-castle inspired Torre Bellesguard and garden overlooking the city. Their website isn't quite ready yet, but the email and phone are there to book one of the private tours in English—the only take 15 people at a time, which adds to the charm.

On the other hand, because of the crowds, you now have to not only pay to get into the Park Güell, but you have to book in advance. Only 400 people are allowed in every half hour. So it's probably good for actually experiencing the park once you're there, but it's yet another thing to have to remember to book...sadly, it's getting harder and harder to do anything spontaneously in Europe's most popular destinations.

No, it should be now, at least on iTunes (updates seem to take longer to register on Android). When you open the app, you should very quickly get a box saying 'Updated content available' to download. It only takes a minute. The updates via the iTunes store are far more for keeping up with the latest iOS of the gadgetry, not for the content, at least in our case.

OK, this time I got got the message and uploaded it. It didn't work earlier this morning, but now it does. Thanks!

On the other hand, because of the crowds, you now have to not only pay to get into the Park Güell, but you have to book in advance. Only 400 people are allowed in every half hour. So it's probably good for actually experiencing the park once you're there, but it's yet another thing to have to remember to book...

I'm glad they are doing this... I did read that residents close to the park can still go for free. It will be so much nicer to be there when it is not overrun with people. And it appears once you are in you can stay as long as you want...

Any idea how far in advance you'd have to book it?
If you're going out of season, you really can just show up (although it costs €8 rather than €7) or just book a day in advance—if you can't print out the tickets in Barcelona, you can get in by giving your name at the gate. But from European spring break/Easter holidays on until October, it's probably a good idea to book before leaving home.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina