• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Flights Norwegian Air to fly Boston-Rome and Madrid

Andrew

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Story here for service to start in 2019. Although note the story here that I linked earlier about questions about Norwegian's future.

Reactions: Amy
Do we have any comments with experience about flying Norwegian? I've also asked about Iberia, which might work well for our next trip with the points/miles we have, and didn't get any replies.

I flew from Barcelona to LAX in March on Norwegian. I was impressed. I flew coach, and chose the upgrade with seat assignment and meal.. the meal was disgusting (but this is no surprise on any airline these days) and there is no free drink service. Instead, you order drinks on your screen and they bring them to you on a tray! I had Nicolas Feuillatte champagne... this thrilled me to no end.

The movie selection was great and the screen had a good picture. I met some people in the airport lounge in Barcelona for premium passengers who had flown over in premium and they said the service up there was very good.

If I wasn't BA silver now I would fly them more. I have not flown Iberia in a long time, it would not be my first choice, I'd take Norwegian over Iberia in a heartbeat.

I have no personal experience on Norwegian, but our daughter’s in-laws flew It round trip from the UK to NYC in September. They are very low maintenance people and had no complaints...the price was extremely reasonable and they seemed quite happy. Both flights were on time...no delays either way. They paid almost half of what my husband and I paid to fly Delta premium economy round trip from Detroit to Heathrow in October. The cost savings for them was quite significant and this is what was important to them.

I flew Norwegian in March 2018 and loved it. I hope they don't go away. I normally don't fly with the "low cost" carriers but Norwegian impressed me. Unlike Shannon, the food that was served was some of the freshest and tasty I have had on an airline. I did fly premium cabin so I don't know if that made a difference in the food quality.

I flew Norwegian nonstop from FCO to LAX on June 20, 2018, in economy class. The flight was very nearly on time, and was uneventful. It was full, mainly Americans. On-board service was routine, although I did see a couple of very inexperienced crew members who looked as though it was their first flight as stewardesses. Disconcertingly, the pilot announced, TWICE, that the flight was from FCO to SFO, until he was corrected by a flight attendant (perhaps he did not get much sleep). I did not pay extra for the awful meal service or for an assigned seat. Observing the meal, I'm happy that I avoided paying $45 for what appeared to be a most unappetizing entrée; indeed, the woman seated next to me did not eat any part of her meal service, and offered it to me (which I graciously declined)! As for economy class seats (3-3-3), they are all equally bad! I was seated by the corridor, so I could get up without bothering the passengers next to me (in that sense alone, aisle seats are better). The seat was hard and did not recline adequately for a 12-hour flight. Leg room was adequate, but knee and seat room very tight. My major criticism is in the lack of a good recline, which made the flight somewhat uncomfortable.

My recommendations:

If you can get a super-cheap economy class seat, go for it! Paying $500 round trip instead of $1200+ on Lufthansa or another legacy carrier is well worth it. However, if you're paying about the same fare as on the major carriers, I'd go with the latter. Skip the extra-cost meal service. Skip the assigned seating (unless you must have a window or an aisle seat). If you can travel with only 10 kilos of carry-on luggage, save the $45 surcharge for checked luggage (maximum 20 kilos, not 23 kilos). Remember to bring your own earphones, pillow and blanket (or overcoat). Bring your own food and a large bottle of water. I don't think that the weight of the food and water will cut into your 10-kilo on-board allowance (use a separate plastic bag).

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina