• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Ostia Antica

Rebecca

10+ Posts
We'll be back in Rome the end of June/early July and are tossing around a visit to Ostia Antica if time permits. We've never been. Do I really need a tour or can we get by on our own?

We visited Ostia Antica from Rome and took a train out. It is just past the airport. You don't need a tour IMO. It is a good site to visit - the ruins are beautiful.

Well that was fun. I spent an hour trying to figure out when we went to Ostia Antica! My old pages on SlowTrav held the answer. September 2002. And we did not take a train from Rome, we were driving from northern Lazio to Sperlonga, dropping a friend off at Rome airport on the way and did a quick stop at Ostia Antica. Here is a photo:

ostia-antica-1206.jpg

Ciao Rebecca!

I'll send along a few bits of information about Ostia. You may have already seen some of this but here is a great video of present day Ostia Antica & a reconstruction of the way it looked....

Here's a guide from Rick Steve's that some folks find helpful...

AND some wonderful information from AIRC ~ American Institute for Roman Culture ~ discussing their efforts to excavate and save this often overlooked archeological site.

Finally, an article from PopularArcheology about Dr. Darius Arya, AIRC and their work on Ostia Antica.

Thanks Ann, I forgot about Ron in Rome ~ great detailed resource ;)

Personally, I don't think you need a tour but others have said they get so much more out of these ruins, when they have an expert helping them make sense of it all......

Heidi, I think Ostia Antica is much easier to make sense out of on your own than Pompei. Of course it's smaller, and with some preparation, the ability to wander around on one's own is a great virtue.

The only tours I ever take a private, so no unbrella following. ;) Thanks for all the links. I'm hoping to get some reading done at work tonight. I already told Daruis and his wife (Erica Firpo) that I was hoping they would set up one of their Instagram meet-ups when I'm in Rome. If that happens, I'm going to pick his brain.

Be still my heart... Rebecca , do you know Darius & Erica ? I often see them at Caffe' Farnese.... I'm a lurker :cool:

Ciao Rebecca (and Heidi and everyone) This is my first post on Slow Europe and I am thrilled to be here!
As others have said, it is really easy to reach Ostia Antica and I've attached a link to a blog post from a visit I made maybe 18 months ago.

You could visit on your own, but sometimes a guide is helpful in such a place where it can be hard to understand what everything means. And it is a large site!

If you are interested, I have made a good friend here in Rome, Laura, who is a classics scholar but because educators are not always paid well here in Italy, she has also begun doing private walking tours in English (she has been practising on me for about year, which is fabulous - for me, anyway!) If you think you might like to connect with her let me know. I think her prices are reasonable.

http://leapwithoutanet.blogspot.it/2012/05/ancient-seaport-of-ostia-antica.html

Best,
Sandra

Benvenuti a Slow Europe, Sandra!

Pleased to see you here! :) We need to talk, as I would love to engage your Laura when I'm there in May.....

Everything that others said, ease of getting there, worth the time, as good as Pompeii, no tour guide. And do take a picnic as there are spacious areas of grass and few people around. Fun to see all you folks from ST…..Ciao,
Cheryl

Benvenuti a Slow Europe, Sandra!

Pleased to see you here! :) We need to talk, as I would love to engage your Laura when I'm there in May.....
Absolutely, Heidi - I owe you an email and will definitely connect you with Laura. I was thinking of you earlier today when Laura and I visited the newly opened section of Domiziano's Stadio under Piazza Navona,

Absolutely, Heidi - I owe you an email and will definitely connect you with Laura. I was thinking of you earlier today when Laura and I visited the newly opened section of Domiziano's Stadio under Piazza Navona,

I heard about Domiziano's Stadio opening to the public. I'm excited! Can't wait to visit this archaeological site ~ I'm always peering through the fencing at the Piazza Cinque Luna end of Piazza Navona trying to catch a glimpse of the ruins. You should post here about your visit ... or on your blog ~ easy for me to say:D

Worth considering for our upcoming three weeks in Rome (April-May). But we have concerns about some knee issues. How long would a respectable visit take? Any places to take a rest while within the ruins? What would be a reasonable estimation of the walking part kilometrage end to end?

Sandra, absolutely. I like to study, truly I do, but I also like to listen to a good story. I may want to get in touch with her so pass along her contact information to me (whichever of the multiple ways you and I comunicate is good). Looking forward to catching up with you!

Rebecca, we went to Ostia years ago but I recall a bus then a train and it was easy peasy. Ostia itself is a lovely place to wander on your own, no guide needed.

Re: Darius. We (5 of us) took a tour with the old Scala Reale of Ancient Rome with Darius in 2002, and I love to "run into" him on various TV shows on Rome's history.
I had no idea he hung around the Cafe Farnese though. That's "our Piazza" but I've never spotted him.

How long would a respectable visit take? Any places to take a rest while within the ruins? What would be a reasonable estimation of the walking part kilometrage end to end?

I've been wanting to get back to you Doru, but I don't really have all the answers to your questions. I think your visit can be anywhere from 2 - 4 hours for a respectful visit. As to places to rest, check-out this photo from this NY Times article on Ostia Antica. The article is a few years old, so not all of the links work...

There is a caffe` on site, for resting, as well. I'm also sending along this tourist guide with a good site map and 17 pages of densely filled pages on Ostia Antica... Hope this helps...

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina