• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Ostuni. How much time

michele29

10+ Posts
Ciao tutti,
i am planning a trip to Puglia and Ostuni is on the list. I’ve read conflicting accounts, a day trip is enough vs you need two or three days. Any opinions? My instincts tell me it’s a two night stop.

I like cities or at least big towns.

grazie

We enjoyed Ostuni as part of a day trip. The view of the city when entering is astounding and there is some magnificent architecture. It was a fun afternoon strolling through the city, but it did not stand out more in our memories than the other towns we visited in Puglia and we did not leave thinking we needed more time there.

Thank you
do You have any recommendations..We are planning on a stay in Lecce for a few days and using Bari as a base for visiting Maturation and Ostuni.

Let me try this link about Puglia to avoid reposting. We did have a car on our trip there and did a lot of driving. I would recommend Matera as a spot to spend an extra day -- looked like a fun place to stay overnight to do explore. We did not visit Bari since we were focusing on smaller towns. Try to get to the trulli circuit to see the houses. I think you will enjoy Lecce and all the places you stop to eat -- the menus are different from other regions of Italy and very tasty.

I think it depends on what sort of holiday you want

- Minimise bases (and the hassle of changing accomodation), using day trips to explore
- Road trip style, where you stay a day or two somewhere, but never properly unload the car

Both can work in the region, and places like Martina Franca, Locorotondo, Alberobello can work well with both options. Ostuni a little bigger, but maybe not as imposing / busy as Bari and Brindisi. If road tripping, then I might grab 2 days in Ostuni, but we did enjoy our single day there.

Matera, Trani certainly worthy of consideration, and we also enjoyed Gravina, though this is hardly a tourist hotspot, being much more functional, despite the huge ravine that cuts it in two. Options of caves, beaches (didn't appeal to us), roman ruins also there if you want them.

If road tripping, I'd recommend making use of the excellent agriturismi in the region. You will eat well.

We spent a whole day in Ostuni as a day trip from Brindisi and I think we pretty much walked up and down and around it all without hurrying.
Bari is a very pleasant city in itself, especially the historical centre and Cathedrals but is also an excellent base for using the train to visit Trani (Splendid), Monopoli, Polignano and Molfetta. (Or if you want to stay in a smaller seaside town, any of these could be a base, although Bari is more central...)
More info here:

Thanks to all..we have two weeks in Puglia and do not like to move around a lot. Right now, I’m thinking of dividing the two weeks, one in Bari, one in Brindisi and taking train trips to other towns.Trani, Lecce, Ostuni...a trulli noise but not in Alberobello ..overrun with tourists
Matera is on the list, too.
going the end of April

My sister and I spent a week outside Ostuni as a base for seeing the Valle d'Itria and coast and found it to be very convenient. The town itself offered enough dining variety and stores, a good vibe (we went in September 2018) and easy to get to the other towns around there (Martina Franca, Locorotondo, Ceglie Messapica, Alberobello) We also went to Polignano a Mare, the Costa Merlatta for a beach day, Savelletri.

Personally, I'd stay in Lecce rather than Brindisi, but that's me. :)

I would consider shortening my time in Bari, and instead of Brindisi, consider 4-5 days (or more) in the lovely Itria Valley. We stayed in the countryside, just outside Cisternino, and loved day trips to Ostuni, Locorotondo, Alberobello (get in and get out early, before the tourists). We especially loved Martina Franca, which might be another good spot for a home base. Three days in Lecce was perfect, and our three days in Matera was perhaps my favorite part of the trip.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina