• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

packing cubes

marshajc

100+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
I'm curious to know if anyone uses packing cubes. I can see how they would organize but do they really save space? If you use them and have a brand you like, please let me know.

I have the very light weight Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Tech Cubes. I don't like the heavier weight of the older cubes.

When I'm going to move accommodations, staying 1-3 nights in each place, I use the cubes for my clothes so that I can stay organized without unpacking. If I'm spending 4-5 nights or more in each place, I don't use them for clothes because I'll unpack while traveling.

I carry the hanging Eagle Creek Toiletry case all the time, because some places don't have enough counter space to hold toiletries.

I use the Eagle Creek Sac for my silk scarves, so that they aren't damaged in transit.

I have a Bellroy Tech Kit case for my electronic cords, chargers, adapters, Apple Pencil, AirPods, etc.

I'm not sure that they save space, but they add minimal weight if you want to be organized. I use the Marie Kondo method of folding for my packing.

I'm a very light packer, carry-on only. My 4-wheeled bag weighs less than 4lbs. I typically use a backpack for my 2nd bag (mine is a TUMI, unless I'm hiking, then it's an Osprey).

Thanks. Good advice. I've also read that you can just put the cubes in dresser drawers which makes repacking easier.

I’ve been using Eagle Creek packing cubes for years. I have the older ones because they last forever. I made the mistake of washing them in the machine and they have a plastic layer on the inside which partly came off. Big mistake but I’m still using them.

I think they make packing easier by making you be more organised. I unpack them if we are staying longer in a place but for short stays keep clothes in them.

I use red ones for my clothes, blue for Steve, lime green for misc. I use a full size one for each of us to hold tops and sweaters, then a tube one for underwear and socks. Lime green for things we will need for one night when staying at the airport hotel before flying. Another full size for our hiking clothes.

When packing for a trip I pack the cubes and know how many will fit in a suitcase (3 full size, 2 tubes, plus toilet kit), so I don’t have to fuss around with suitcases until the day before.

I use the Eagle Creek hanging toilet kit too, like Cameron, and even bought the new lightweight version. They also make a smaller zip pouch one that I use for extra things.

These packing cubes must be 15 years old and I use them a lot during the year

Good information. Thanks. I have been using 2 or 2.5-gallon ziplock bags for some of my clothing, mostly tops, underwear, and my scarves. Then I roll my pants for the bottom layer. I will check out the cubes Freda mentioned. Maybe they would work better.

I have a set of compression packing cubes HERE that I bought kind of on a whim/trial. I LOVE them and they save a ton of room! They are super light weight. They may not last as long as the old Eagle Creek cubes, which I also have. If space is an issue, these are great. In general, I just really like the organization they offer. And if TSA asks to open and go through your bag it might be less messy - depending on what they open.

I always use packing cubes. When we're traveling for longer periods I also use compression bags - for example, when we fly to Italy this summer I'll use compression bags for our cold weather stuff like jackets and sweaters.

BTW @chachalaca , I love those compression cubes - what a great idea! I have the kind that are just plastic, like giant zip-loc bags, but if I needed new ones I'd definitely try the ones you have.

Last edited:
I've used the older Eagle Creek cubes for many years - more for organization than for trying to save space. I will unzip them fully, fold the top under and place them with the clothes still in them in drawers or armories where I'm staying. I bring an extra or two to separate dirty from clean clothes. I can't imagine travelling without them. They have handles and I've even used them to pack up clothes to carry to a laundromat.

I went though a period where I always used packing cubes, and then stopped for some reason. I had an old set of LLBean cubes, and misplaced one so I sold the remaining two on eBay and picked up a double set of packing cubes on the eBags website, their own brand. Now that I've starting using them again, I can't imagine why I ever stopped! We used them for a 17-night trip to Italy in the fall and found we were able to keep everything super organized, and it made re-packing on travel days a snap.

I love packing cubes! I can't imagine traveling without them. I use the Rick Steves brand (available on his website www.ricksteves.com). I have the set of 1 large and 2 medium. They are mesh, so you can see through them and they zip around three sides. For the large cube, I fold pants and shirts flat so that they fit all the way to the edge. I can fit at least 2 pairs of pants/jeans and 4-5 shirts in it. I use the smaller ones for other shirts, socks, undies, and one set of pajamas. It's easy to find what you want and helpful if you don't want to fully unpack. I just pull out the cubes with socks, etc and put in the drawer. They're not technically compression cubes, but I feel like they help me fit more in my carryon suitcase. Still have to make sure the whole suitcase is not too heavy, though.

I decided to try them and bought two sets of BAGAIL 6 Set Packing Cubes Luggage Packing Organizers for Travel Accessories on Amazon. My husband and I each used a set on our recent trip and I loved using them. I was using my larger checked bag and instead of bringing it upstairs to pack it and then having to take the heavy bag downstairs, I packed the cubes and just took them downstairs to place in the case. We were on a cruise, with a post-cruise stop for a few days. I simply put the filled cubes on shelves in our ship cabin which made is super easy to find things. When repacking, I filled one large cube for all the clothing I would need for the post-cruise days. I'll never travel without packing cubes again!

I ordered a set of Gonex in Feb to use on a planned trip next week to Austria - cancelled. Also for a planned trip next month to US - cancelled. I hope to use them before the end of the year. :confused:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina