• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help Needed Paris accommodation

Anne

100+ Posts
My (22yo) daughter and I made an impulse purchase this evening...flights to Paris, Sept 10-22!

Now begins the hunt for an apartment. This will be my daughter's first time in Paris, my second. Her only "must see" is the Eiffel tower. Otherwise she wants to experience Paris with no particular agenda, maybe a daytrip or two. (I think she has the soul of a slow traveller!)

She's happy to stay wherever, but did ask if there are any neighborhoods in Paris with narrow, winding cobblestone streets. Do any of the arrondissements have such a feel?

I'll check the listings on VRBO and airbnb...are there other websites (or specific apartments) you'd recommend?

Thanks!

There are cobblestone streets here and there. Montmartre and the Marais come to mind as perhaps having the most, though not necessarily all connected, as through-streets are paved for traffic.

I've stayed on rue des Rosiers in the Marais, with a section that is cobblestone. In Montmartre, I've stayed on rue Constance, cobblestone. The apartment on Rosiers is very nice, but it requires climbing old spiral stairs to the 4th (French)/5th (American) floor, so I hesitate to recommend it. The rue Constance apartment is no listed through the service I used, but there are Slow Travelers who've stayed in other apartments in the same building.

Your daughter will certainly enjoy the exploring the Passages Couverts de Paris.

Thanks Cameron, those passages do sound like something she'll enjoy! Unfortunately my daughter has some knee problems, so we'll need to find something 1st or 2nd floor, or a building with an elevator. (She is very mobile, so we'll be able to wander around and explore. But we'll be taking a lot of cafe/park bench/people watching breaks!)

We would also consider staying outside of Paris, if we find something that catches our eye. We're still in a state of delighted shock that this opportunity even came up...so the possibilities are still endless at the moment!

I'd love to hear from members here which arrondissement (or even nearby town) you love, and what is it that appeals to you about that location?

Anne, you do know that vac. rental apartments in Paris now need a special registration number to deem them legal rentals?
The number should be on the listing as of December 1st, 2017.
Otherwise you may be out on the street before you are even in the door.
Similar to the crackdowns taking place in New York City.
Here is a discussion from the Rick Steves website.

https://community.ricksteves.com/tr...find-a-13-digit-registration-number-on-airbnb

I knew owners need to register, but hadn't thought about it impacting me as a renter...thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to look for a registration number before booking.

While we're looking to stay in a less touristy area on our next trip, we do love to stay in the 1st between Rue St. Honoré and Rue de Rivoli on Rue d'Arbre Sec or near abouts. It IS touristy however it is super convenient to: Metro, Louvre & Tuileries, the Seine and many restaurants and wine bars. It is the perfect location if you like using the Metro and walking.

Lucky you!

Thanks chachalaca, that location does sound like a perfect combination for us, esp since this is Moira's first time. Last night she said "I guess I better acquire a taste for wine." Yup, it wouldn't hurt. ;)

I did read your review in the rental thread, but that particular apartment doesn't seem to be listed anymore. I'm looking through their other apartments and seeing a couple great possibilities though.

I am SO lucky! Never imagined I'd have two mother-daughter trips to France in one year. I'm also spending 3 weeks in the south in April with my mom and my older daughter. This second trip was just too good to pass up - $463 for nonstop return flights out of Halifax!)

Your daughter may find the hills and steps in Montmartre to be too much for her knees, so I recommend looking closer to the Seine. Some of the best cobblestone walks are along the banks (when not flooded!).

I prefer the 2nd, 4th and 7th arrondissements.

I've stayed in the 2nd for the last four years (same apartment, but 65 steps to climb), so it feels like home to me -- on rue de Richelieu, a block from the Bourse. It's very close to the Opera, Gallerie Vivienne, Wili's Wine Bar/Maceo....and, I walk up to the 9th to visit @Parigi and her fabulous market street. It's also a 15-minute walk to rue Montorgueil, where I like to wander.

It's also very close to the 1st, as I often walk a few blocks down to the locations mentioned by @chachalaca.

Anne, I know this is your daughter's first Paris experience so you may want an inner arrondissement, but I can very highly recommend an apartment in the 14th. We've stayed there three times. It is in an everyday neighborhood, with the only tourists being those wandering around after exiting the Catacombs. On the (French) first floor, so only one flight to climb, very comfortable and cozy. Small kitchen and bathroom, but well equipped. The neghborhood has a great daily market (rue Daguerre), lots of stores and restaurants at all price points, and great bus and Metro connections within a block. You can walk to Luxembourg Gardens in 15 minutes. If you are interested, I can give you the owner's e-mail.
Tara and Pierre's Apartment

My cousin and his wife stayed at the apartment Amy recommends above, and we visited from the nearby apt. we rent in the 14th (where Amy and Larry have stayed -- thank you, SlowTrav and Slow Europe connections!). I can join in Amy's strong recommendation of the apartment and the neighborhood. If you end up there, be sure to take the bus rather than the Metro -- much easier on your daughter's knees than all the steps in most Metros.

Like Ann and Amy, we also love the 14th. I wrote this review on Slow Europe of the apartment we stayed in there. It's no longer listed on VRBO as the owners now only rent by personal recommendation, but their email is in my review. There is only one bedroom, but I believe the living room sofa would also work as a bed. We loved the apartment and the location. Neighbors of ours just spent almost a month there and also raved about it.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies!

Cameron, I hadn't thought about hills and stairs of Montmartre. Yes, it would be better if Moira didn't have to navigate them everyday.

I'm starting to think it's unlikely I'll find anything affordable in the inner arrondissements. Having to avoid more than a couple flights of stairs, plus needing two beds (even if one is a sofa) puts so many places out of our reach.

Thanks Amy (and Ann), that apartment sounds great. I would appreciate having the owner's email. The listed price ahows as Cdn$215/nt), but worth contacting them directly to ask about a discount if I don't book through a booking site.

Roz, I'll have another look at your review, thanks for the link!

I guess this thread can now be case closed...we've booked Tara and Pierre's apartment. I'm so glad to have found such a wonderful place to stay. I think it will be perfect for us. Thanks again, this travel community is the best! :)

I am curious, Anne, if the apartment is legal. I looked at the link and could not see a registration number, i.e., a 13 digit number beginning with 75***********. I understand that the City is getting pretty serious about enforcement, with fines of €5,000 for the owner/hosts. That won't affect you, but you could get cancelled if they authorities crack down on that property. I suggest you might want to book a cancellable hotel, just in case.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina