• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Paris Paris

Anubis

10+ Posts
Bit belated but, Paris, Nov.2017. A disappointing trip from the food point of view. Old favorites like the Tour Eiffel, on St Dominique, where Obama dined. let us down. The cassoulet that was up there with Thoumoeiux, closed now, was very mediocre. No confit of duck leg. Place has developed an attitude. Wait staff expects 20% over the 17% included and lets you know about it. We avoided Michelin starred restaurants and that might have been a mistake. We did not have one exceptional meal for which we have to take some responsibility. It used to be very easy to get a really good meal in Paris.

Hotel Le Tremoille is in the 8th, 1 block from Rue Montaigne, beautiful but expensive neighborhood. Room was just fine. Service left much to be desired. With one exception, worthless concierge, doormen that did not open doors, very unfriendly, French, front desk. Breakfast was excellent but the staff impossible. A job to get their attention. Hotel tried, very hard, to bill me for an extra night. I prevailed but not without a lot of effort. I would avoid this place.

The museums, as usual, are a joy. However, the Louvre has become a real zoo. Way too crowded to the point that it's a rough place to be; even with the museum pass.
The Carnavelet is being refurbished, I missed that. The Orangerie is still the best small museum in Paris. I do miss its old run down character. The Marmitton gives Orangerie a run for best little one; especially when there are good exhibits. The D'Orsay is always heaven. The Petit Palace is a great overlooked museum and of course, the Grand Palais can be wonderful. The Pompidou had the best Derain exhibit I have ever seen. Being adventurist we Metroed it out to the new Philharmonic Hall where the science museum is. Gorgeous hall, don't miss it. However be sure to take the right train to the right side of the park, we did not and had a hard time finding it.
The science museum is well worth missing.

A good part of a Paris trip is just being there. Wonderful place to bein and look at. Now, if I could do something about changing the denizens.

Thanks for the post, very informative! Btw, anyone knows if there is still the cherry blossom till' next week. Planning a short visit there.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina