• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt 2018 No. 17 - Wine

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 17 (Week of April 29, 2018) – Wine

A Photo Hunt 2018category is available on the Media Gallery.

As slow travelers I’m not surprised at some of the amazing road photos we are able to capture. From tight fitting tunnels, through incredible landscapes and terrain (I’m intrigued by Iceland), wine country, and empty and busy city streets, and even in the face of an oncoming truck. All great captures for this week’s theme.

Upcoming Photo Hunt Themes:
Photo Hunt No. 18 (Week of May 6, 2018) – At Night
Photo Hunt No. 19 (Week of May 13, 2018) – Jewelry
Photo Hunt No. 20 (Week of May 20, 2018) – Walking
Photo Hunt No. 21 (Week May 27, 2018) – In Memory Of
Photo Hunt No. 22 (Week of June 3, 2018) – Boat/Ship

When I think of fine wine, my first thoughts are of Napa Valley and the countries of Italy, France and Spain. But after my GrapeHops Tour with Shannon, I will now think of Croatia. There are some very amazing wine being produced in this wonderful country.

Last edited:
A bit closer to (my) home - wine tasting at Hush Heath Winery near Staplehurst in Kent, which is producing a range of award winning white wines. It was a lovely summer day and the servings were generous... It's just as well the coach wasn't stopped and breathalysed on the way home.
Screen shot 2018-04-29 at 09.12.03.png

A wine rarely seen outside of the Ligurian region, Sciacchetrà is a dessert wine lover’s nirvana. Sold in half bottles it can be found at the tourist level around 25 euros (syrup sweet), entry level around 45 euros (very enjoyable), and the real deal starts around 125 euros and climbs. (the nirvana I spoke of).

I was lucky enough to experience the last category once. If you like the great Sauternes like Chateau d'Yquem next time in Liguria seek out this luscious nectar called Sciacchetrà – you may have a new favorite.

shtr1.jpg

And of course being a wine lover and just returning my favorite place in the world - St John... I have to posted a second picture.

STJSunset.jpg

Vineyards around Puligny-Montrachet. Vines are grown on the slopes of a limestone escarpment known as Cote d’Or, as in autumn the leaves of the vines turn bright gold, giving ther scarp its name. Vines have been grown here since the monks of Cluny began to make wine. Vineyards are traditionally small, some are just a few acres, but produce very high quality wines.
Screen shot 2018-04-30 at 15.24.17.png
Screen shot 2018-04-30 at 15.24.32.png

Paris, 2016.
The wine was rubbish, but the bread was divine!
I prefer our own wines from here in British Columbia! :)
IMG_1987.JPG

The opposite side of Canada - this was from the Auk Brewery at Twillingate in Newfoundland. They don't have vines but do produce some excellent berry wines.
Screen shot 2018-04-30 at 18.43.15.png

This week’s Photo Hunt No. 17 (Week of April 29, 2018) – Wine
I will now think of Croatia. There are some very amazing wine being produced in this wonderful country.

Plavac Mali is one of the world's most underrated wines. I cannot wait to go walk the vineyards.

First of all, IMO wine is the most over-rated foodstuff in history. Grape juice with an attitude. It's not even tasty. If so many people like to wash down their food with what I consider a liquid spice - so be it, though I just don't get it.
Now that that bit of sacrilege is out of the way ;), I can continue with the photo and a few words about it :

Of course we have some wine when we travel in Italy - it's part of the experience, sight and taste being the senses that work overtime for us when we're there.

One evening on our last trip there, I was zooming in on a Google map of the area we would be driving in the next day, and all of a sudden a business popped out that I hadn't noticed before : "Casé...naturally wine". Out of curiosity, I checked the website, and learned an interesting story : there is something called raw, or natural, wine. Basically, wine that is made without chemicals and with as little manipulation as possible, no adding or removing anything in the cellar. Which means that the wine-maker is trying to sustain part of the microbiology of the vineyard through the fermentation process, producing a wine that is "alive" and that faithfully reflects the unique characteristics of that vineyard. There are not many producers that have the skill, passion or desire to do this, but more are getting interested, and more wine-drinkers are discovering this. There are even a few fairs held every year.

Always on the lookout for small and interesting producers of anything, I decided that this is something worth a detour and the purchase of a bottle. I e-mailed the farm and asked if it is possible to drive by the next morning. The owner invited me to come, warning that the dirt road up is a bit steep for a rental.

The car managed the climb, and we were met by two boisterous and serious young men who spared no effort to show us the small winery and to indulge us with a taste of their wines - even bringing out a plate of cheeses to go along with the drinks. They spoke English quite well, so we could get a clear picture of what was special about their way of doing things. They related how raw wine production maintains that every vineyard has a certain microbiology that must be sustained, that there is no need to treat the vines, or the soils that they grow in, with chemicals, that no yeasts or additives should be supplied in the cellar, and filtration is also kept to a minimum . A small amount of sulfite can be used for preservation, but ideally this too should be eliminated or kept to very low levels.

Ever since experimenting and succeeding in their venture, they said that they can't bear to drink "regular" wine ever again. And it's true : the wine we tasted there was unlike anything we'd ever tasted (even taking into account that we hardly drink wine). Probably not to everyone's liking, but surely a special "twist" on what has frequently become an over-standardized food product.

About two hours later, and after having a great chat with them on this and other things, we left with two bottles of their wine. One of them is in the photo below.

from the Casé website :
http://www.naturallywine.com/?page_id=732

on Raw wine in general :
https://www.rawwine.com/the-wine/our-charter-of-quality/

It's special, but it's still just grape juice with an attitude..... ;)

R0005576.JPG

Last edited:
Joe there is no better drink than a glass of cool spring water...
I hope one day we will be able to meet and raise a glass together!

These printed wine label replica marble coasters are (or at least were) stocked by a local merchant. Nicely understated and not especially pricey.

coasters.jpg

and a favourite photo posted on an Australian wine forum a few years ago. On the back label it says 'may throw a light sediment'. Look closely at the image to see the absurdity of that statement.
May throw a light sediment.jpg

There is no wine left in the bottle that you see!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina