• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt 2018 No. 21 - In Memory of

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 21 (Week May 27, 2018) – In Memory Of

A Photo Hunt 2018 category is available on the Media Gallery.

Oh my goodness, I really enjoyed everyone’s photos. I loved seeing the different pathways and amazing places you all have walked. I’ve bookmarked this thread for future reference as I became intrigued and inspired by your photos.

Upcoming Photo Hunt Themes:
Photo Hunt No. 22 (Week of June 3, 2018) – Boat/Ship
Photo Hunt No. 23 (Week of June 10, 2018) – Small Town Stay (any wonderful small town stays you’ve experienced while traveling and/or while at home)
Photo Hunt No. 24 (Week of June 17, 2018) – Father

Eva Perón’s life was brief but in her time she captured the fascination and hearts of not only Argentineans but of many admirers around the world. A beloved champion of the poor and of women, Eva continues to be loved and remembered as evidenced by the many people who pay tribute to her memory by visiting her family’s tomb (her final resting place) at the Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires each year. I’m not one who seek out visiting cemeteries while traveling (this was only the second one I have visited), but given what Eva stood for I had to make this exception and I’m glad that I did. I was definitely moved by the experience.

"....NE LES OUBLIONS JAMAIS"

fullsizeoutput_330f.jpeg

Paris, 3rd arrondissement
".....for the very young"

Last edited:
The War memorial and eternal flame in Irkutsk, Siberia.
Screen shot 2018-05-26 at 22.42.05.png
Screen shot 2018-05-26 at 22.41.15.png

The Russians treat their war dead with great respect. We understood the names are those of local Heroes of the Soviet Union.

The squad is drawn from local pupils who have done well and parade as an honour on Victory Day on May 9th. This was a rehearsal, their drill was immaculate.

The squad's goose-step continued as it neared the flame,
where the stamping was replaced by very gentle footfalls.

Some of you may remember the beautiful red ceramic Poppies at the Tower of London in 2014 commemorating the outbreak of the First World War. Each of the 888,246 poppies was intended to represent one British or Colonial serviceman killed in the War.

Afterwards many of the poppies were sold off, but some were saved and have doing the rounds of Britain, before ending up in the Imperial War Museum. I wasn't able to see them at the Tower, but did go to see the 5,500 poppies when they arrived at Lincoln Castle in 2016. They were a wonderful but very poignant sight as they cascaded down from the walls.
Screen shot 2018-05-26 at 22.54.05.png

Screen shot 2018-05-26 at 22.54.14.png

Screen shot 2018-05-26 at 22.54.26.png

Screen shot 2018-05-26 at 22.54.37.png

A cemetery in East Greenland.
Screen shot 2018-05-27 at 18.06.22.png

Inuit graves are in sight of the sea, as heaven is in the sea, not the sky. The graves have no names because they believe that would stop the skills and characters of the deceased being passed on to later generations.

William Shakespeare's tomb in Holy Trinity Church in Straftford upon Avon. The church is very much on the tourist tick list of people who come, take a picture of themselves by Shakespeare’s grave and then move on to the next sight. This is a great shame as they completely miss some of the best bits of the church - the wonderful misericords and the magnificent tombs in the Clopton Chapel), as well as the font where he was baptised.
Screen shot 2018-05-27 at 18.20.56.png

Entry into the nave is free, but there is a donation of £3 to visit Shakespeare’s grave. This was the first church in England to charge an entry fee in 1906 of 6d.

This is from somewhere in the hills to the north of Asti, Piemonte (perhaps Montechiaro d'Asti, I don't remember exactly), in the foregrounds of a large church there. We encountered plaques like the one on the tree quite a few times while touring, I suppose this is a traditional way to remember the fallen.
The second photo is an enlargement of the plaque. I believe what is written might translate to : "the gentle soldier" (or is Soave Albino the name?), and is in remembrance of a young soldier who died in WW1. But perhaps an Italian member of the forum can help here.

29988103230_1436efb059_o.jpg

remembr.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a native Italian, but I would guess Soave Albino is the soldier's name, Soave being the surname, and Andrea being his father's name.

One of the glories of many English churches are their remarkable tombs to the great and good. One of the best is the lovely Beauchamp Chapel in St Mary’s Church in Warwick.
Screen shot 2018-05-29 at 21.57.41.png

This was built by Richard Beauchamp as a suitable resting place for him and his descendants. His tomb with his gilded bronze effigy is in pride of place.
Screen shot 2018-05-29 at 22.00.58.png

Behind is the tomb tomb of Ambrose Dudley which is regarded as one of the finest alabaster carvings in the country
Screen shot 2018-05-29 at 22.01.23.png

On the wall is the magnificent tomb of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester and Ambrose’s brother, and favourite of Queen Elizabeth I. He is buried with his second wife, Lettice.
Screen shot 2018-05-29 at 22.02.38.png

On the opposite wall is the tomb of the only son of Robert Dudley, who died aged three.
Screen shot 2018-05-29 at 22.06.58.png

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina