• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt 2019 No. 25 : Machines/Machinery

joe

1000+ Posts
This week's Photo Hunt theme (June 23, 2019) : Machines/Machinery

Upcoming Photo Hunt themes :
June 30 : Country road
July 7 : Hike/Hiking

Travel is an opportunity to see mechanized activities that we sometimes don't encounter in our routines at home. Observing machines we aren't familiar with can also make us interested in the people using them.

Two to start the thread, both from Piemonte, Italy :
the first, a crane set up in a narrow street
the second, father and son working by a dehuller for hazelnuts

Last edited:
Reactions: SMJ
This is a sugar cane factory in Madeira which is still crushing sugar cane using one hundred year old machines powered by steam.

Killhope Lead Mining Centre in Upper Weardale. The waterwheel was used to power the jiggers which separated the heavier ore from waste rock fragments.

Forges de Pyrène in the Haute-Pyrenees is a folk museum demonstrating traditional crafts. This massive tilt hammer was used to make blades for spades.

Gayle Mill in North Yorkshire is a wonderful example of an early C20th sawmill. The last owner retired in 1988, locking the door and leaving all the machinery in situ.

I went on a guided tour a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the mill is currently closed for visitors although it is still running woodworking courses.

There are saws of all sizes...

machinery for cutting out complex shapes

and machines for 'turning' chair legs.

The mill produced everything from farm carts and gates to household furniture.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2019-06-24 at 10.31.53.png
    Screen shot 2019-06-24 at 10.31.53.png
    320.4 KB · Views: 16
In the Library of Alexandria there is a permanent exhibition on the history of Printing Machines. These devices could arguably be rated as one of the top 10 things invented my man. Without them, the written words of religion, science, literature, and documents that changed the world would not have been able to be shared so easily. I guess today some may argue that an iPad would rate higher.

Something completely different - a 1900s dentist's surgery at Beamish, Living Museum of the North in County Durham.

It wasn't intentional Joe, but the lighting in the clog manufacturers gave a deep orange cast which I couldn't get rid off. The pictures looked a lot better in B&W!

A few more from me :

End of corn harvest, Piemonte, Italy
Wind turbines, and pivot irrigating machine, Israel

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina