• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt No. 13 - Memorial

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 13 (Week of May 28) – Memorial

A Photo Hunt 2017 category is also available on the Media Gallery to insert your photos.

It’s wonderful to see how everyone’s photos capture the colors in everything we see around us (either at home or while traveling). Loved the colorful food and storefront displays, gardens, flowers, traditional costumes, reflections of light, keepers of bees, mailboxes to put our mail in, and those amazing hot air balloons that rise high above to add a bit of color to the sky.

Future Themes: If you have ideas for a future theme, feel free to share them HERE
Photo Hunt No. 14 (Week of June 4) – Funny
Photo Hunt No. 15 (Week of June 11) – Chocolate
Photo Hunt No. 15 (Week of June 18) – Tradition
Photo Hunt No. 16 (Week of June 25) – Music/Musical

In a picturesque setting situated by the edge of Lock Sheil, the Glenfinnan Monument stands as tribute to those who fought in the Jacobite Risings. This is a wonderful stop to make if you find yourself driving the very beautiful Road to the Isles in Scotland.

In my travels, I have had a chance to see many monuments, memorials, and hallowed places that caused me to reflect on days and deeds gone by. One such place stands out more than any other. On a very hot day is September a group of us traveled 70 miles west of Alexandria, Egypt to the cemetery for those who had fallen in the battle for North Africa. The final resting place for many who fought in the deserts now buried in El Alamein.

Mem001.jpg

Standing there looking out one sees 1000s of head stones and miles of desert. The heat was stifling and then I saw the count of the fallen and paused to try to understand that number.

Mem002.jpg

There were 100s of graves where three stones were side by side. I took moment then I realized they were tank crews who died together.

Mem003.jpg

Their age etched in stone only heighten the sense of how many who were so young were lost.

Mem004.jpg

Walking through rows and rows of headstones, I stopped in front of this one and it shook me to the core. They may only be known to God, but never forgotten by this individual.

I live near Arlington Cemetery where many U.S. Soldiers and Sailors have found their final resting place. The rolling hills, mature trees, and green grass gives one some sense of peace that they are home. Then I remember those young men who now lay under the burning sun, with blowing sand that is unescapable, and so far from home and family it made this memorial like no other for me.

One sad memorial:
3732081080_fa5cb74516_z_d.jpg

and one to make you wonder..
The tomb of Dame Mary Page (died 1728), with the inscription:
In 67 months she was tap'd 66 times, had taken away 240 gallons of water, without ever repining for her case, or fearing the operation.
2856094525_8334da7eba_z_d.jpg

This memorial sign outside a school in Paris made me cry when I first saw it. For those who don't know French it says, more or less:
To the memory of the children, students of this school, deported from 1942 to 1944, because they were born Jews, innocent victims of Nazi barbarianism with the active compliance of the government of Vichy. They were exterminated in the death camps. Let us never forget them.​

enfantsjuifs.JPG

Sadly, those signs are to be seen on many schools in Paris.

I was just noticing today how many smaller memorials there are in my part of London, one on a former fire station to a couple of young women auxiliary staff who were the first local victims of the Blitz, one on the site of an air raid shelter that took a direct hit, and a garden installed on previously unused space as a memorial to all its victims.

And then there are some other local historical events, from a dispute in the 1920s over how to raise and re-distribute taxes to relieve the poverty caused by economic depression:
3732080746_e79ab0f246_z_d.jpg

to a famous popular counter-demonstration against a planned march of fascists through a strongly left-wing and Jewish area in 1936 (the "Battle of Cable St"):
2912458126_9a934499c8_z_d.jpg

... The tomb of Dame Mary Page (died 1728), with the inscription:
In 67 months she was tap'd 66 times, had taken away 240 gallons of water, without ever repining for her case, or fearing the operation.

I couldn't understand this so looked it up. Londonist explains it.

"Her ladyship suffered from a form of dropsy (some have suggested Meigs' syndrome) that caused excess fluid to build in the space around her lungs. The poor lady must have endured enormous difficulties. 240 gallons is equivalent to 1,920 pints — or about 29 pints on each of the 66 times she was 'tapd'. Surely an exaggeration?"

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina