• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt No. 9 - Beach / Lake

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 9 (Week of April 30) - Beach/Lake

There is a Photo Hunt 2017 category on the Media Gallery in case you want to put your photos in the media gallery first and then insert from there using the camera icon above the text box, into your post.

I love the photos that everyone has posted this week. Flowers makes things around them so much more colorful and beautiful. A gondola, gardens, market stalls and trees. They are beautiful up close and from away in fields with snow covered Swiss mountains in the background. And we aren’t the only ones who love them, some of our four legged friends love them too. I am envious of those of you who are able to capture butterflies and bees in your photos.

Future Themes: If you have ideas for a future theme, feel free to share them HERE
Photo Hunt No. 10 (Week of May 7) – Passagieta
Photo Hunt No. 11 (Week of May 14) – Family
Photo Hunt No. 12 (Week of May 21) – Color(s)
Photo Hunt No. 13 (Week of May 28) – Memorial

This was another difficult challenge for me because I love photographing beaches and anything involving water. The first time I went to Europe was in 1993 and as much as I loved it, I didn’t get to travel again to Europe until 2005. One of the things high on my must see list was visiting Cinque Terre. The first view of the coast from the train literally took my breath away. My photo is of the small village of Vernazza as seen from the hiking trails just above it. The views of the ocean along the trails were just stunning. The beach is very small just like the town.

St. James' Park Lake

IMG_0912.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

Lake Misurina, Italy October, 2010
LakeMisurina.jpg

From Wikipedia:
Lake Misurina (Italian: Lago di Misurina; Cadorino dialect: Lago de Meśorìna) is the largest natural lake of the Cadore and it is 1,754 m above sea level, near Auronzo di Cadore (Belluno). The lake's perimeter is 2.6 km long, while the maximum depth is 5 m.

Near the lake there are about ten hotels with accommodation for around 500 people.

The particular climatic characteristics of the area around the lake, make particularly good air for those who have respiratory diseases. Near the lake is the only center in Italy for the care of childhood asthma.

The lake was the theme of a famous song by Claudio Baglioni. Lake Misurina is also the theme of the theatrical representation of the Longane di Lozzo.

Lake Misurina is where the speed skating events were held during the 1956 Winter Olympics of Cortina d'Ampezzo – the last time Olympic speed skating events were held on natural ice.

Misurina lies on the route of the Dolomites Gold Cup Race.

Being a long time Caribbean lover I have to go with beach. The picture is just one of the beautiful beaches on the tiny island of Anguilla.

Beach 1.JPG

Never heard of this island… Let me share just a moment of this island’s history. Forced into a British federation with St Kitts and Nevis, the Anguillans were treated as a bastard step son for over a century. Three times they petitioned the British government to abolish the federation, and every time it was ignored. On May 29 – 31, 1967 a successful uprising which caused the 17 Policemen from St Kitts, and the Governor to flee island from the angry mob. By July a vote was held with over 1800 of the 2000 illegible voters on island which officially dissolved any relationship with St Kitts and Nevis. A new government and constitution was formed!

The British could not have this and sent two Naval Frigates and some 135 paratroopers to retake the land for the federation. The word leaked out and the surprise landing was anything but a surprise. An hour before dawn the invading force stormed the beach. The only people on the beach were reporters from European papers covering the invasion. The found everyone on the island sound asleep, because no one cared. Reminiscent of JFK ill fated foray into Caribbean politics, Operation Sheepskin became known as the Bay of Piglets.

The Anguillans only wanted to be free of St Kitts, but desired to remain part of the UK Commonwealth. The British were diplomatically inept and they tried to force the island nation back into the federation. After long negotiations, the stubborn Anguillans got what they wanted and the British Diplomats left the island. Today it is a independent nation a British Overseas Territory.

Today, if you visit this beautiful island you will find many of these island watch stations scattered about where people stay vigilant for invading boats from St Kitts.

Beach 2.JPG

Last edited:
Being a long time Caribbean lover I have to go with beach. The picture is just one of the beautiful beaches on the tiny island of Anguilla.

View attachment 3984

Never heard of this island… Let me share just a moment of this island’s history. Forced into a British federation with St Kitts and Nevis, the Anguillans were treated as a bastard step son for over a century. Three times they petitioned the British government to abolish the federation, and every time it was ignored. On May 29 – 31, 1967 a successful uprising which caused the 17 Policemen from St Kitts, and the Governor to flee island from the angry mob. By July a vote was held with over 1800 of the 2000 illegible voters on island which officially dissolved any relationship with St Kitts and Nevis. A new government and constitution was formed!

The British could not have this and sent two Naval Frigates and some 135 paratroopers to retake the land for the federation. The word leaked out and the surprise landing was anything but a surprise. An hour before dawn the invading force stormed the beach. The only people on the beach were reporters from European papers covering the invasion. The found everyone on the island sound asleep, because no one cared. Reminiscent of JFK ill fated foray into Caribbean politics, Operation Sheepskin became known as the Bay of Piglets.

The Anguillans only wanted to be free of St Kitts, but desired to remain part of the UK Commonwealth. The British were diplomatically inept and they tried to force the island nation back into the federation. After long negotiations, the stubborn Anguillans got what they wanted and the British Diplomats left the island. Today it is a independent nation a British Overseas Territory.

Today, if you visit this beautiful island you will find many of these island watch stations scattered about where people stay vigilant for invading boats from St Kitts.

View attachment 3985
wow, looks like the perfect spot!!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina