• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Please help me arrange my days in Venice

am12pm

I'll be arriving in Venice on Thursday, April 17th and will be departing on Monday, April 21st (La Pasquetta). That will put us there for Easter Day...EEK!:eek:

As you may (or may not!) remember I will be there with my husband (we've been to Venice approx. 4-5 times) and my three boys (12, 12, and 4). My boys have never been to Venice before. We want to just wander and see where that leads us but there are a few things we do want to do and I'm not sure what days would be best to do each (taking into account Good Friday and Easter and an otherwise busy holiday weekend) so I need all of you experts to please chime in a bit.
  • San Marco
--will church be illuminated for Easter?
--worth it with Easter crowds?
  • Doge's Palace tour
  • Murano/Burano
  • Leonardo da Vinci Museum (boys are waaay into this!)
Again, other than that we have no major agenda. Is there something that you think we would be remiss in not making a priority? This may be their first visit, but will not be their last :D, so we don't need to fit it all in but do want to see what you all think.

Hi am12pm, your boys might have fun exploring the Naval Museum, it has some incredible model boats.

Hi am,

I would recommend going on a Food/Ghost Tour with Monica Ceserato.
http://www.monicacesarato.com/blog/food-tour/

A friend of mine and his family (boy age 11, girl 13) went on her tour and they said it was the highlight of their time in Venice! I'm excited to be going on her tour in October. I think it's a fun time for the entire family :) While I've never met her in person, I feel I "know" her from Facebook and also from quite a few friends who have met her in person on her tour. They said she is so much fun, and really makes it interesting for children.

have a magical time in Venezia!!

Mindy

I would take the vaporetto over to San Giorgio Maggiore and go to top of the bell tower for the best view of Venice. There are also great hourly tours of the rest of the monumental San Giorgio complex on Saturday and Sunday -- I'm not sure that a reservation is necessary, but there are tours in English.

Easter Monday will be crazy too. If you need to get anywhere near the train station, allow extra time.

You might take your kids on the clock tower tour in the Piazza - it is pretty cool to be inside a Renaissance clock tower looking down on all the people. You can book the tickets online before you go.
http://torreorologio.visitmuve.it/en/home/

You could also consider a rowing lesson with Nan McElroy or one of her partners at Row Venice - I would imagine any kid would get a kick out of that!

You have gotten a lot of great suggestions! I totally forgot about the clock tower tour!

Like Shannon, I would also suggest a lesson with Row Venice. It is a blast, your whole family will love it. It gives you such a unique perspective of Venice. The lesson will also let you off in a great area of Cannaregio to wander around and eat some cicchetti.

Don't forget to stroll around the Punta della Dogana and down the Zattere. It is one of the best walks in Venice. Stop for gelato at Nico's and/or pizza at Ae Oche, both with million dollar views.

Easter is one of the few times that they turn the "Golden Altarpiece" (Pala d' Oro) in Basilica San Marco towards the front of the church. (Other times you have to pay to walk around it to see it.) It's really amazing, with inlaid jewels and pearls, telling bible stories in mosaics and enamel.

Remember that you can book an entrance time for San Marco for free.

http://www.alata.it/eng/BOOKING/sanmarco.asp

Remember that you can book an entrance time for San Marco for free.

http://www.alata.it/eng/BOOKING/sanmarco.asp

Colleen I think it is 2 euros to book the entrance time. But that is worth it IMO.

Also it is very important to remember that the Basilica does not allow any backpacks, bags, etc inside. They have a place to check these items, but if you choose to do so, make sure to allow enough time to check them before your entrance time.

You all have been absolutely wonderful!!

I will take each and every suggestion and explore times, scheduling, etc!!

If anyone thinks of anything else, please chime in to the discussion.:)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina