• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Poitiers or Lyon?

VictoriaJZ

10+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Our plan is to arrive at DeGaulle Airport [9/13] and take the TGV from there south = either to Lyon or to Poitiers. From there we will rent a car and drive to wherever our lodging ends up being in Dordogne and stay there a week+ before returning to Paris & later, to home. I'm trying to decide between TGV to Poitiers and staying there 1-2 nights or Lyon and doing likewise. Suggestions and ideas? Do we need to get our rental car right upon arrival in the city or can we move around and see some things in the city and then get the car?? Thank you.

I have been to Lyon a few times, most recently in May of 2019 for 3 nights. The city’s sites are easily reached by walking or by using public transportation. We purchased the Lyon City Card which provided free access to some of the museums and free use of public transportation. I have not visited Poitiers so cannot make a comparison of the two places.

We had to cancel the Sept. trip [passport issues = long long story] but are now looking to travel to France in May - so, looking into TGV going to either Lyon or Bordeaux [I guess Poitiers might be an option?] - we want to stay a bit in the Dordogne/Lot area so right now it seems driving from Bordeaux/Poitiers might be easier...I'll check into some of these ideas since we haven't decided fore sure yet. Thank you.

Ciao.
Of the towns you mentioned, I find Bordeaux the most charming, and surrounded by the large number of points of interest and beauty. And it is easily reached on the TGV.
I personally find it stressful to get on the TGV right after a long flight. Flight delays happen often. I know many slowtravelers loooove the stress. I'd rather spend a night in Paris then take the train the next day south.

Thank you == we ended up arranging for the TGV to Bordeaux = leaving in late afternoon. == we arrive around 8am -- so hoping that we can get on an earlier train == I can understand your idea, though...so far, knock on wood, we've had no trouble in the past == we are spending 3 days in Bordeaux so looking forward to that time there.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina