• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Poland?

Jerr

10+ Posts
Paul has decided that he wants to explore his roots. His grandparents left 80 years ago and now it is time to explore it a bit. His family is from Warsaw and Krakow. We know next to nothing about Poland - anyone have suggestions for places we shouldn't miss?

On a related note it appears my Paris/French chateau adventure has been bumped to 2016. SIGH

Shoot -now I am hungry. Thanks Shannon - I've bookmarked this.

I wonder where the polish wine region is?

Jerry, I talked to the woman who runs those tours once - she is Polish but living in Montana. I think you could call her and she would totally fill you in.

Her tours do look fun! Poland is on my list, so I am going to be watching your planning... (and ps I wish you could come to Paris in March 2015 for MY big five oh...)

I haven't been to Warsaw but endorse a visit to Krakow. We were there maybe 10 years ago, arriving on our own by train from Prague. The main square is huge and a center of city life.

Continued to Wroclaw in search of DH's roots. Smaller in scale but another remarkable city square with considerable Germanic vibe. Our nearby hotel (Best Western, I think) was brand new with eager staff and a comprehensive buffet breakfast including unlimited sparkling wine. In general our food experience in Poland was forgettable (lard on bread, anyone?) but no doubt 10 years has brought many new options.

I was in Krakow about 6 years ago and loved it. We rented a beautiful apartment. From the outside the building looked like a rundown tenement but the inside was totally renovated. It was a surprise. The main square is beautiful.

I was in Poland too, I recomend you to go there.
I saw the Warsaw (the capital of Poland) and after I came by plane to Krakow, but I think that the most important place that everyone should go is Auschzwitch. My friends have never been there but I was, I heard about people who have kept there, It had been hell to them. I saw many videos from there, from the Nazi time.
If you want read something more about the trip, visit website: Krakowdirect.

Years and years ago we were planning to go to Poland to teach English (long story!) and in preparation took Polish night classes from a local priest, which were fiendishly difficult (if I recall, Polish has eight or nine cases and quadruple negatives). Then Solidarity came along and our invitation to go fell through. Since then I've forgotten nearly everything, although Michael can still belt out the Polish national anthem.

Interesting to find this thread, because at long last we're going to Warsaw and Krakow this September, and we're really looking forward to it—just hope Michael has the occasion to show off his singing.

I'm visiting Warsaw quite often, in my opinion the list of "must to see" is following :The Old Twon, Royal Route, Lazienki, Warsaw Rising museum. It is also good to taste Warsaw nightlife. Warsaw is full of cheap and good pubs, bars, and restaurants. Like for example New Orleans (on Zgoda 11) with good food, dancers, and variety of Whisky. And many many others. However during the weekend i recommend to visit the more "premium" ones, as the Warsaw pubs are getting crowded :) I hope you will enjoy the travel!

I've been to both Warsaw and Krakow - they're both incredible cities. I know this thread is slightly old but if anyone ends up going there definitely check out the Warsaw Uprising Museum (in Warsaw) and St Mary's Church and the Catacombs in Krakow.

I don't know if this appeals, but an ex-colleague started a blog to capture some traditional family recipes. I've tried th the Pierogi, and I did use google translate to get an english equivalent - not perfect at all, but I could follow it still.
http://domowe-przepisy-krysi.blogspot.co.uk/

Might be nice to try a dish or two before heading over there?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina