• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Port Day in Naples - What to Do?

LoveItaly

10+ Posts
Trying to decide what to do in Naples on our cruise stop. We've been to all the towns on the Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii quite a few times but never explored Naples so it's time. First on this list was to see the Veiled Christ but very disappointed it's not open on Tuesdays which is our day. Was thinking of the Underground but no 140 steps down and up for me and also looks too claustrophobic reminding me of the Scavi with even less light. Planning on the Duomo but feeling a little overwhelmed with chaotic Naples and would appreciate some suggestions for an easy day that we can do on our own. Having pizza is definitely on the list with choices being da Michele, da Attilio, di Matteo or Sorbillo but which one? I've read all four are the "best" but, of course, food is subjective. We don't want to wonder too far off the beaten path so it seems best to stay in the Spaccanapoli area but open to other options. I've been behind with my research and we leave for Italy May 21 and need to have a game plan in place.

Carole

I visited Naples for the fist time 3 years ago and fell in love with it! The Santa Chiara monastery, with the gorgeous hand-painted Majolica tiles in the cloisters, is gorgeous. If you enjoy art galleries, the Capodimonte, in a beautiful park at the top of the city, has a wonderful collection. Public transportation is a bit hectic, but you could easily take a taxi there. Piazza del Plebiscito is quite lovely. There you will find the Palazzo Reale, and the Gran Caffee Gamrinus is nearby. The Teatro San Carlo, the oldest opera house in Italy, is stunning. A walk along the Lungomare (Via Partenope), with the Castel dell'Ovo, is delightful! As for pizza, I'm sure that any of the places you mentioned will be great - you could opt for a pizza fritta at Sorbillo. It doesn't sound appealing, but it is terrific! There is so much to see/do in Naples, and these are just a few suggestions to start with. Have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
Not sure if you have seen this site: Tom's Port Guides. In his Naples port guide he has several links to other sites with some suggestions. We will be there in early July (after your trip), but it is a family cruise with grandkids so we are planning a trip to Pompeii and spending a little time in Naples in the afternoon before we get back on the ship.

My mother and I spent a week in Naples a few years ago and, like Sharon, fell in love with it! I can unequivocally vouch for DiMatteo. We went about 4 times...I could not get enough of their pizza margherita...I'm drooling just thinking about it! haha (We found other great pizza places too but this was my fave.)

On one of our days, we took the funicular up the Vomero Hill in the morning, and explored Castel Sant' Elmo (absolutely Stunning view of the city and the bay from its ramparts) and the San Martino museum (among other things, it has a huge collection of presepi - nativity sets - including one particularly exquisite one with something like 800 pieces - a whole village, with tavern, houses, a roman temple, along with the usual suspects - angels, shepherds, wise men and holy family.) A very good way to spend a day.

I've just come back from Naples and I think that, if you're stopping just for a day, you can get a feeling of the city just walking through the Centro Storico. Spaccanapoli, Via dei Tribunali, San Gregorio Armeno...Walking and trying Neapolitan street food ;)
Don't worry too much about Duomo: it's gigantic, so you won't have to fight with the crowds. It's also free and...honestly? It's marvellous.

Naples is a great port for a lot of reasons, including the fact that it's one of the few Med ports where you can walk off the ship right into the historic part of town.

Most people visiting Naples never wander more than about 2k/a mile and a quarter from the port. As it's uphill from the port I would recommend taking a taxi, bus or the metro (easiest and fastest) from the Municipio station (across the main street from the cruise port) to the Museo stop (if you're going to the archaeology museum) or the Dante stop and walking back (downhill) from there.

From either metro station I would make my way to Via dei Tribunali and head down that toward the Duomo, stopping along the way at anything that interests you.

After the Duomo I'd walk back along Tribunali to Via San Gregorio Armeno and head down that to see the nativity scene shops. At Via San Biagio Dei Librai (the name of Spaccanapoli at that point) turn right and wander back along the famous road that "splits" Naples, again stopping at anything of interest along the way (including Santa Chiara and Gesu Nuovo).

At Via Toledo you can turn left and follow this down to Piazza Trieste e Trento, where you'll find the Galleria, the royal apartments and, next to them, Teatro San Carlo. At this point you'll be just steps from the cruise port but you will have only walked between two and a half and three miles, even with all the back and forth.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina