• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Flights Possible laptop/electronics ban for Europe flights to the US

susan

100+ Posts
Multiple articles have been posted the last three days talking about electronics being banned on some or all flights from Europe to the US. Most of the headlines of the articles are calling it a laptop ban but the stories then talk about all electronics larger than a cell phone. I hesitated to post this because it is not certain yet and because it could turn political as well as controversial regarding safety issues but thought others may want to know that this is seriously being discussed and plan accordingly if you have an upcoming trip.

Here is one of the latest articles I have read about this possible ban: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...rs-carry-on-laptop-ban-on-flights-from-europe

I leave for Italy in 11 days. My plans have been to take my MacbookAir laptop along with my small DSLR camera, 2 pancake lenses, and a tiny older compact digital camera for times when I don't want to be out with my DSLR. I hoped to blog along the way.

At first when reading "laptop ban", I thought about purchasing an ipad mini to take with me, even though downloading photos is more complicated, and because I started shooting raw, editing would be much more challenging BUT then I read that of course tablets will also be banned. Unless the solution to the ban will be to wrap your electronics in bubble wrap and put them in a box labeled and tagged with your name/info as Emirates Airline has been doing, I am not going to take the chance and put my laptop or a new ipad in my checked luggage to be possibly damaged and/or stolen. After being upset about this ban for a couple of days, I finally decided that since neither would be allowed, purchasing an ipad would be silly and I would not bring my laptop with me to Italy if the ban is implemented or if a definite decision has not yet been made before I leave for Italy.

But then, I realized that I would be also forced to check my DSLR camera and also possibly my lenses (there have been conflicting accounts on being forced to also check lenses) :mad:. I love taking photos when I am traveling in Italy. This makes me sad! I can live without my laptop and go old school printing out all of the documents I have been creating as well as screenshots of train schedules, etc. for my trip and go back to keeping a journal and doing most of my blogging when I get home, but I don't want to miss out on taking photos when I am there. Yes, my phone takes photos, but not like a nice camera. So, I ended up ordering a new compact digital camera that can shoot raw and does well in lowlight situations. If this ban is implemented, I am also planning to leave my DSLR at home. I figure if I am forced to check my new digital compact camera, it is tiny and hopefully it will not be stolen out of my bag. At least there is not much of a chance that it would be damaged in my bag. I will just have to hope that nothing happens to any of my SD cards since I won't be able to back up my photos. My new camera does have wifi with the capability to transfer photos to my phone (if I can figure this out before my trip) but my phone does not have room to backup all of my photos and it would probably take hours to transfer them all even if I did have the room.

I have spent a lot of wasteful energy on this and thought sharing my conclusions on what I will do might help others in case the ban is implemented before your trip happens. The positive in all of this is that I won't have as much stuff/weight to carry around with me when traveling by train.

Last edited:
I am concerned about this also, as we leave for Italy on May 17th and return home from Rome on June 10th. But, most articles I read just said this ban was being considered - it's not a for sure thing yet. And, the way I understood it, it would only apply to flight to the US from certain airports in Europe, not all European airports. Is that correct?

I am taking my iPad Air and my compact digital camera, and of course, my iPhone 6S. I was originally going to take my 11.6" Chromebook, if I had room in my carryon but I think now I'll pass on that idea.

If I end up having to put my iPad and camera in my checked bag on our flights home, I'll just have to cross my fingers that they will be safe and not get stolen!

Well, I have no choice in this... I'm in Europe now-- with my laptop-- and won't be flying back to the USA until August.

However, in early July I'll fly from France to England and our return back to the USA is from England... so I'm not sure how this possible ban might involve flights from the UK.

I absolutely have to travel with a laptop for my work in Europe... I'm dealing with spreadsheets and word documents and need the larger screen, plus all the documents I'm working with. Of course I'm also using the internet, moving photos off my camera, editing photos etc. I do have everything backed up automatically on the cloud. But I hate the thought of my laptop tossed around inside a checked bag.

This will be a huge issue for international business people and others traveling for work... much more than it impacts tourists. I'm hoping that the large multinational companies, universities and others will get involved in helping to head this off.

I heard on the news last night that Homeland Security will make the decision in two weeks.

Like Susan, I considered buying a new iPad (I have my husband's old one), until I heard that anything larger than a smartphone wouldn't be allowed, if this is rule is passed.

I can't imagine traveling without my MacBook, but at least I can be in touch through my iPhone. Not sure I'll want to watch Netflix on that tiny screen. If I write, I'll have to use paper and pen! Time to go back to Moleskins! Oh well, there was a time when I traveled to far away places with no electronics...but, I did take a SLR camera and multiple lenses, so I empathize with anyone who usually takes a DSLR.

Sigh.

The previous ban was from only certain airports in the Middle East and Africa to the U.S., and it was possible to take the devices on connections through other places. I don't know anything about the proposed ban being only from certain airports in Europe. I see that there may be protests from the airlines and the EU about the proposed ban, saying that having more lithium batteries in the cargo hold may be the greater risk, and we can hope that (no new ban) will prevail.

Most articles I have read have talked about all of Europe but a few have mentioned selected airports. My guess is it would be all of Europe. There is supposed to be a meeting next week (Wednesday I think) about the matter, but I just read this article and it sounds bleak even with the risks of lithium batteries in the cargo hold.

Several work arounds exist. Let's start with laptops.

1) First and foremost buy some cloud storage if you are talking about not sensitive documents. Obviously your company's P/L statements, roll out on new projects would not go to the cloud. So then what?

2) There is a hard drive duplicator that looks like a thumb drive and stores all your programs and data. BTW it even stores proprietary stuff like Photoshop. Somebody at the computer club brought it last week. I will try to get ahold of them and get full info. You at least will have your work should your computer get destroyed or stolen.Take your laptop on your trip and when you leave Europe or wherever clone your hard drive to this device.

3) Fed Ex or DHL or UPS your laptop home. Declare it high value. I have a friend who regularly ships precious antiques this way, nothing has ever been broken or stolen. Believe me the thought of leaving computers to the tender mercies of ramp rats makes my skin crawl. I also have had excellent service with UK post office and postale Italia.

4) Take your old laptop. Come on, we all have a Windows 7 or older laptop someplace. If you don't put an ad on Craigslist. I want to buy a Windows 7 laptop. If you lose it or it is broken or stolen as long as you have backed it up so what? You paid $50 max for it.

Cameras.

In particular DSLR camera. I totally know and share your love for your DSLR. Mine is a 5 year old bright red Pentax that is slowly dying. I currently have her on life support at Pentax in Japan hoping they can repair or transplant her CMOS. In all likelihood she is not going to be out of the Pentax shop before we leave for London. So I am looking for alternatives.

The. Camera club here is awash with old pros whose motto is...you will pry my DSLR from my cold dead fingers. But recently (like in the past 2 months) there is a new wind. One of our new female (you go girl) members is kicking butt with Macro images shot on an I phone. Another just had a photo published in an Asian magazine using the new Wauwei leica lense smart phone.

OBVIOUSLY the guy shooting for a company isn't going to use anything but a top of the line DSLR. But if you want good quality, large size prints, the ability to shoot in low light situations etc. the news on phone cameras isn't all bad. https://gearpatrol.com/2017/02/13/pro-camera-vs-smartphone-camera/. Here is the February review by gear patrol. I like them because they aren't married to the most expensive is the best concept. They tend to live in the real world.

As mentioned some of the new point and shoots are morphing into min-DSLR cameras. Zeiss lenses, good CMOS chips etc. Again not pro but ask me again next year. We may be seeing the extinction of the DSLR in our lifetime. Or at least a massive reconfiguration to smaller, lighter, maybe even smarter. Composite bodies, one size fits all lense mount (including competitor brands).

This whole computer/electronics ban is under the category of not good news. But there are ways around it.

One last idea. Don't go back. Stay in Italy, England, wherever. Live the dream.

Last edited:
There are some stories that it's been decided that the ban won't happen, but there's a Financial Times story from today saying it's being considered for flights to the U.S. from anywhere, not just Europe. See if you can get past the paywall by Googling
Financial Times US looks at extending laptop ban to all flights

So then one could ask: shouldn't it apply to domestic U.S. flights as well?

Edit: There's a FlyerTalk thread with speculation that the compromise will be that each passenger will be allowed one laptop or tablet plus one phone.

Last edited:
I've been googling daily to see the latest. From what I am reading, the ban is off for the moment, although they are meeting again next week.

This is an excerpt from the US Dept of Homeland Security press release:
"The United States and the European Union reaffirmed their commitment to continue working closely together on aviation security generally, including meeting next week in Washington D.C. to further assess shared risks and solutions for protecting airline passengers, whilst ensuring the smooth functioning of global air travel."

For now, Europe is promising to screen laptops more closely. Shouldn't everyone be doing that in the first place? I am still a little concerned about taking my laptop and DSLR camera in case this ban does go into effect while I am in Italy, but am leaning towards taking the chance at this point, hoping that if a ban does happen, it won't start until I return.

At least 10 years ago when we went to France with a laptop, we were stopped at CDG and had to open and start up the computer. My husband was severely reprimanded by the inspector for not having the computer password protected. That hasn't happened to us since then though. I think at the time there was concern about people breaking into tourists' computers and placing some kind of smuggled software on them for import to another country.

I've been googling daily to see the latest. From what I am reading, the ban is off for the moment, although they are meeting again next week.

This is an excerpt from the US Dept of Homeland Security press release:
"The United States and the European Union reaffirmed their commitment to continue working closely together on aviation security generally, including meeting next week in Washington D.C. to further assess shared risks and solutions for protecting airline passengers, whilst ensuring the smooth functioning of global air travel."

For now, Europe is promising to screen laptops more closely. Shouldn't everyone be doing that in the first place? I am still a little concerned about taking my laptop and DSLR camera in case this ban does go into effect while I am in Italy, but am leaning towards taking the chance at this point, hoping that if a ban does happen, it won't start until I return.

If they were going to ban anything for security reasons cell phones which are a critical part of an IED should be banned. If you are as laptop dependent as I am my advice would be to bring it. I didn't last year because I knew I was buying a new one. What I forgot was the couple thousand dollars worth of programs I had on the old one. Photoshop, Rosetta Stone, office were the big 3. If the ban goes thru there is always Fed Ex. They ship laptops all the time. Even have specific boxes.

Heard one suggestion on FT to buy Pelican cases, particularly for photo equipment, if you decide to ship it back home.

You'll notice that your BBC and Independent links are both a week old.

DHS and EU officials met on Wednesday of this week in Washington, after meeting in Brussels the previous week.

Yea, I noticed that after I posted the first time.

I posted the second article to show how one of the airlines in the Middle East is doing it, not the report on the top on the eu ban.

I did find the Independent article informative on how they are handling it in the Middle East. I would feel much more confident knowing an airline had wrapped and boxed it and handled them separately.

I just hope they don't do it while I'm in Europe. Would love to have the time to buy a good case.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina