• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Problem Getting A Refund

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
I just found out that our LHR-EWR-TPA flight scheduled for Apr 25 was indeed cancelled. I called United back this morning to see why I hadn't yet received the Electronic Funds Certificate(s) for that flight, and our TPA-EWR flight, the one I posted about on another thread. The agent had told me he would give me the EFC instead of the Future Flight Credit because, at that time, the ETC was good for a longer period. Anyway.....since I hadn't received anything, I called back to double-check, and I'm glad I did!

The agent today told me that neither flight had been submitted for an ETC, so the first agent completely dropped the ball - after I thought he was being soooo helpful! Anyway, The agent mentioned that I was eligible for a full refund for the LHR-EWR-TPA, but said I'd have to go through my travel agent, because they had the credit card info for the refund. That made sense to me, so I wrote to the travel agency.

Their response was this:
"I checked on this with our air department and this is what I was told:

As Alan said in his email, you need to be actively booked on the flight when it is cancelled, to be possibly eligible for a cash refund from the airline. Even then, in many cases, the airline will not issue a cash refund if they can accommodate you on another flight, within 5 hours, on the same airline or on one of their partner airlines.

You are welcome to call your airline directly, using the ticket number(s) that we sent to you and ask them for a cash refund. Sometimes an airline will do more for a client than they will for us!

If they cannot, with many airlines you now have up to two years to use your credit. You can use your credit for any ticket or tickets in your name. You do not have to use the full credit all at once."

So - what's my next move? I suspect there's no reason to contact the airline. I will write back to the TA and re-emphasize what the agent told me, but other than that, is there anything else to be done? Thanks if you have any advice!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina