• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Provence Provence, Bonnieux, apartment in village, 2 or 3 bedrooms

Chris

500+ Posts
Link: https://bonnieux-apartment.com (new website)
Date of stay: June 2013

At least for me, this is about as close to perfect as a vacation rental could be. Not a grand villa but a comfortable and cozy apartment right in the center of a beautiful village in Provence. The owners, Kathy and Charley, put a great deal of thought and care into every detail. I spent one week there, and look forward to returning someday soon.

Here's what I had to say about the apartment in my Homeaway review.

This is an extraordinary apartment. It’s in a perfect location in the center of a beautiful Provençal village, it’s thoughtfully furnished and equipped, but more than all of that, it’s full of the joy and spirit of Provence – beautiful colors in every room, paintings of local scenes on the walls, and a kitchen full of cheerful Provençal dishes in red and yellow.

The location is fantastic, right in the center of Bonnieux, on the second floor (up one flight of stairs) for minimal noise, maximum privacy and beautiful views. Plentiful free parking is available in lots nearby, and cafes, restaurants, shops, and the big Friday market are all just a few steps from the door.

I especially loved the kitchen and terrace. I’ve stayed in a lot of vacation rentals, but this kitchen is by far the best-equipped I’ve ever seen. Everything is spotless, all of the equipment is in great condition and you’ll find everything you need to cook and serve gourmet meals. There’s a good-sized table in the kitchen and another on the terrace just outside the kitchen.

The living room is a cozy place to relax, with several great movies set in Provence among the highlights of a thoughtfully selected collection of movies, books and music.

I was alone so I used only the red bedroom, which was comfortable and quiet. The bathroom is up a short flight of stairs, but it is light and bright and clean and has a very good shower.

The owners were great to deal with, and when they asked after my stay if I had any suggestions for improvement, I couldn’t think of a single thing. It’s perfect as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve and I had lunch with Kathy and Charley in their vacation rental apartment in May 2014 and I agree with everything Chris said above. If you are going to the Luberon, this is a great place to stay.

Kathy and Charley run European Experiences, small group tours in Europe, so spend some time each year in their apartment. The result is that it is is homey and comfortable. I remember Kathy asking me if I used spices and other things left in vacation rentals and I said no, because I never trusted how fresh they are. Kathy leaves lots of spices and makes sure to change them every year - perfect!

As Chris said, it is a charming village with good amenities and the apartment is right in the center.

A few photos from our visit:

View from the terrace watching a Deux Chevaux parade on the main street.

full

View from the terrace looking at the countryside.

full

Kathy and Charley Wood, the owners.

full

Reactions: Jim
I'm the owner of the Bonnieux apartment and a member of Slow Europe.I wanted to update the review from Chris to let everyone know that our apartment is now three bedrooms/two bathrooms, about 1300 square feet total. We were able to incorporate some additional space in our building into our apartment, and we renovated and decorated this new space last year.

We've added a 300 square foot bedroom suite just off the little foyer of our apartment. It's very private and has great light from two windows. (The main part of our apartment is up one flight of steps from the foyer.) The suite has a big bedroom with a lovely old tile floor. There's a room with a toilet and small sink and then a separate room with the shower and big sink. And then there's an area we're calling a "coffee nook." It's not a kitchen for cooking, but has a sink, a coffeemaker and kettle, and a table and two chairs. Off this area there's a balcony with two chairs and a small table, perfect for enjoying coffee (or a glass of wine) and watching the activity on the street below. The new room does have air-conditioning. I posted a photo below.

This makes our apartment perfect for two couples sharing or for 2-4 friends who would like the additional bathroom. Although we have beds to sleep six, given the dining table, terrace, and living room upstairs, it's best suited for 4-5 people max.

You can see more details, photos etc. on our website here: https://bonnieux-apartment.com (new website)

Although our website reflects three bedrooms/two bathrooms, we can lock off the new suite and are open to renting just the "original" apartment to Slow Europe referrals for 1 or 2 guests at a reduced rate.

(Thanks Pauline for letting me post this update!)

With refinished armoire.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK so what do I say now.....you guys have said it all....not only that, but the photo I had picked out is already there...'view from the terrace looking at the countryside'
My wife Keryn and son Edward had lovely morning tea with Kathy and Charley last Sunday, and everything described above is exact....this is a really really lovely apartment, which felt comfortable, the minute you walked in the door.
Additionally, Bonnieux is a really lovely Luberon Village....in our experience probably the nicest, along with Gordes.
And Kathy and Charley's apartment is manificently located there-in.
Since we enjoy this part of France so much, we are already planning the next trip.....and we still have two weeks to go on this one!
Kathy and Charley's apartment will be our likely target.

I'm so glad I checked out these reviews...I'd been looking at the VRBO listing for this gorgeous apartment already for our April/18 trip, but it's more than we need (just the 2 of us, my mother and I). I'm glad to read Kathy's update and see that there's a possibility of renting just the original, smaller space - definitely going back on my short list!

This is a great apartment. I've stayed there once for a week, visited Kathy there a few times, and I'm returning for a week this fall.

This is a great apartment. I've stayed there once for a week, visited Kathy there a few times, and I'm returning for a week this fall.
Lucky you. We've seen the apartment when we've gone on Kathy's Luberon and Return to Luberon trips. It really is a lovely space and a perfect location.

Also, Kathy's apartment now has 3 bedrooms, so you might want to change the subject line (which refers to two).

We loved this apartment - here's what I wrote as a review (it's a short novel, I know...brevity is not my forte! haha)

My mother and I spent a week in Kathy and Charley’s beautiful apartment and found it an enjoyable experience from our initial contact and booking through to check-out! The apartment and the town are both wonderful; this is truly a wonderful base from which to explore the Luberon and beyond. We had no problem finding the apartment, thanks to the excellent directions we’d been given in advance, along with helpful instructions on where to park.

The apartment itself is a dream – Charley and Kathy have thought of everything a traveller could want. The bedrooms are spacious and bright, with comfortable beds and linen, good storage space for clothes and personal items, and thoughtful touches like the little flashlight on the bedside table, making middle of the night bathroom breaks a breeze! The bathroom is up a few steps, with plenty of shelf space and towels, good pressure and lots of hot water, and also has a sweet view out over the rooftops. The living room is cosy and comfy, with a great library of books and DVDs for when you feel like reading or watching a movie (such as “A Good Year”, which we discovered was filmed just a couple kms away!) We spent most of our indoor time in the kitchen (it’s what Nova Scotians do! haha) We ate out most evenings, but I’ve no doubt this well-equipped kitchen could handle any meal a person might want to create. And that brings me to the terrace…le sigh! A marvellous spot to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of the streets below, and soak in the gorgeous colours of the changing sky as the sun sets across the valley. I even enjoyed sitting out in the soft air, under the roof, watching the rain one afternoon.

Bonnieux is a delight – not too small, not too big – and has all the amenities we needed, including an ATM, bakery (mouth-watering treats and delicious quiches), an extensive weekly market, small supermarket, charming streets with lots of shops, and, at the top, a stunning view of the valley. Our favourite restaurants were L’Heure Bleue, and the exquisite l’arôme, which is right outside the apartment door.

The Luberon is an amazing area. There are so many places and sites to visit from Bonnieux, far too many to list. Very close are the borie village, Pont Julien (roman bridge), the cedar forest park, and nearby towns like Gordes, Rousillon, Menerbes, Saignon, Cucuron, L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue…. And a bit further afield, are Arles, Les Beaux (where you’ll find “Carrières de Lumières”, a stunning multi-media show in an old quarry), Glanum (large Roman archaeological site) …. the list goes on and on. It’s also lovely just to roam around without a set destination and stumble upon hidden treasures. (Now I want to go back!)

We’ve stayed in many rental apartments, and this one is a highlight that will stand out in our travel memories. I don’t hesitate to highly recommend it to anyone considering a visit to Provence!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina