• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Puglia in August

JuliaNeal21

Hi! I plan on visiting Puglia this summer for six nights with my kids who are 8 and 11. We will spend a lot of our time swimming in the sea and at lidos. I booked three nights in Torre Canne on the beach. For the other three I am picking amongst the towns of Otranto, pogliano o Mare or Santa cesarea terme. Any ideas over which might be better?

I'm pretty sure we stopped briefly at Poliganano a Mare, but didn't take a shine to it. It felt very much like a beach resort, which might be good for the kids, but might feel repetitive after Torre Canne if that is similar.

I'll put in a strong word for Trani, a place we only spent a few hours in, but it felt like it had 'something for everyone', with a striking cathedral, interesting and not over-large castle, beach, venetian architecture and a nice overall feel that blended young and old. Do check what the beach looks like (we didn't check it out)

The other suggestion would be to get somewhere inland with a pool, which I've always felt is much less effort / stress than the beach, and so convenient to just walk out of the apartment and into the pool as and when you want. You can keep an eye on the kids whilst sipping a cold drink or wine.

Whilst in Torre Canne, the enormous caves here might appeal: grottedicastellana.it They seemed popular with Italian kids and plenty of coaches parked up. Locorotondo isn't far away either, and is a great spot to head for an early evening passeggiata as the temperature starts to become bearable, whilst OStuni likewise with it's remembrance park which I recall being very pleasant.

I like all three though they are each very different. Polignano a Mare is bigger than it seems on arrival, and of the three would say it has more life and bustle. It also draws quite a lot of people from nearby Bari. There are some excellent restaurants and the historic center is really lovely and nice to wander.

Otranto is smaller but still has a lot to offer. As Pauline said, the historic center is nice, you cross a little bridge to enter, has the seafront castle and a nice atmosphere. The beaches are good, with some variety (sandy, stretch of low cliffs, pebbles, coves, an area backed by trees). I like the little port area of Otranto.

Santa Cesarea Terme is the smaller, spa town. There are hot springs and the beach, and not a lot beyond that. The scenery is different as you drive south towards Santa Maria Leuca, it gets "wilder".

It really depends on your preferences. My vote would go to Otranto personally, since you'll already be in Torre Canne close to Polignano a Mare. I like the variety of coves and such as I'm not a "long endless stretch of flat sand" kind of beach girl (but that's me).

Good morning everybody! I was born and live in Puglia.
I can suggest you come to Grottaglie (in the Province of Taranto), which is known as "the ceramic city", because there is a charming quartier entirely dedicated to ceramics. Here you can find many ateliers where ceramist create potteries famous alla over the world.You can also take part in the realization of ceramic objects. In Grottaglie you can also find great examples of Baroque art, such as the Episcopal Castle.
Moreover, you can take part to excursions in ravines located a few kilometers from Grottaglie: the ravine of Riggio is a deep valley bounded by a waterfall, a small lake and a small stream, characterized by a rich natural biodiversity. The church of St. Nicholas, with its frescoed apses, stands on the right-hand flank of the ravine, while on the left side sit the great church and the Cenoby, a network of nine caves built on two levels, attributed to a primitive, medieval monastic settlement. Of particular interest is the Caggione, a circular gorge located near a waterfall on whose steep walls you can spot a rock-cut village built on three overlapping levels.
The remains of a defensive wall, some inscriptions and potsherd are ascribed to the Greek and Roman period, while the pit graves and the remains of the village, along with the cistern and a granary, date back to the Middle Ages.
During August in the ancient ceramic quartier there is a festival called "Orecchiette nelle 'nchioce" (literally "orecchiette in the courtyards"), where many people from all over Puglia (and many tourists from all over the world, too) can taste different ways to eat orecchiette (a typical pasta made in Apulia, so called because it has the shape of an ear) and various local wines.
At a few kilometres from Grottaglie there is Taranto. If you’re fond of ancient history and archaeology, then discovering Taranto Spartan Underground is right up your alley. You can have a tour through the Spartan Underground Museum located in the heart of the historic centre of the "city of the two seas", the only Spartan city in the world.
For more information, just ask me :)
Here you can find an anticipation of "Orecchiette nelle 'nchiosce" --> View: https://www.facebook.com/orecchiettenellenchiosce/videos/1427855847259221/

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina