• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Questions about visiting in late October

chayes

I am considering a trip to Italy in late October, early November. I usually use Gate 1 Travel for my independent trips. All of Gate 1's tours are full for 2018. Does anyone have any experience with Tripmasters? I did find a little info about them on this forum, but I am looking for recent experiences. They are offering a 14 day trip for the amount I can book airfare? I know that when something looks too good, it is usually a bad idea; however, I thought that with Gate 1 and have never had a problem. I want to fly into Venice (2 nts), train to Rome (3 nts), train to Florence (3 nts) and train to Naples and catch bus to Positano (3 nts). I am worried that this time of year might be too late and stores will be closed. Does anyone have any input about Tripmasters and the time of the year to travel. I'm sure that I will have lots more questions, but I have to start by picking a travel site. Thanks

Sorry not to be of more help, but just wanted to offer a comment that focusing on these cities (and Positano) might overlook a lot of the fun of being in Italy during all the festivals that are held in October -- chestnuts and truffles and the olive harvest are at the top of the list, but a search of events being held then might lead you to some interesting options. We will be at the Lucca Comics Festival at the end of October -- the largest in Europe -- if you don't mind being in large crowds. Relying on public transportation may limit your options, but still worth taking a look at what's out there? Also keep in mind that November 1 (All Saints Day) is a national holiday and many shops will be closed. The next day is All Soul's Day marked by travel to visit cemeteries, so could be a public transportation issue.

Hi chayes and welcome here.
Our first trip to Italy was exactly during this time slot, late October and return home on Nov. 11. However, we traveled further north than you, in Piemonte and Liguria. The season was indeed a bit border-line with respect to weather (foggy and rainy, perhaps even unusually so, 2008), but OTOH as Alpinista mentioned, no lack of things to see or do, as well as annual/seasonal fairs and events, the dates of which can usually be gleaned from the provincial tourist websites.

It's true that some small businesses started to shut down at the beginning of November (at least in the north) : small accommodations and tourist-related shops and restaurants. Maybe today, ten years later, tourism has increased and more of these businesses might tend to remain open. Even if not - if it was me, that would not be a deterrent if the alternative was not going at all.

October is often a great time of year to travel, though it can turn suddenly at the end of the month / start of November. It's only Positano that would really feel compromised by cold/dreary weather. The other three are all-year-round places.

No reason for places to shut, except perhaps Positano, but even then I'd call it late season rather than closed season. Indeed August will see more places shut than October.

Any reasons why you want an organised tour? For many of us here, we'd resent the forced schedule, but I do recognise that for others it simply takes the effort out, allowing them to enjoy the holiday safe in someone else's hands. It's impressive that they are priced the same as just a flight, but it is important to ensure what they offer is going to be enjoyable.

If you did want to organise your own trip, then there's a wealth of knowledge available here, covering pretty much the whole country, in addition to the usual destinations on the tourist trail. Feel free to tap into that knowledge if wanting something a little more tailored to what interests you. Of course if Rome, Venice, Florence and Positano are exactly what you want, and delivered at that pace, then it sounds like a great deal.

Regards
Ian

I want to use this company because the price for the whole package is about the same price that I have found for airfare. I wanted to go to Venice and also the Amalfi Coast. I’ve been to Tuscany and loved it, but only spent an afternoon in Florence so I thought I would add that. Been to Rome too, but it was also a short visit. I like this company because you can choose your itinerary. I just want to see if anyone has used them and what their experience was.

No worries - just me validating it was what you wanted vs. what he tour companies offer :cool:

As you say, difficult to argue with a price that matches the flight only alternatives.

I know, I just want to make sure it’s not too good to be true??? I like doing my own thing, but I can’t turn it down when they get such good prices in airfare.

We did close to three weeks (started in Paris) in November and visited Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast first then headed north to Certaldo (just south of Florence) where we rented a agriturismo. The weather was perfect for the whole trip. Only a couple of days require wearing a fleece in the morning. Evening walks were a bit cooler but still very comfortable. In fact, we celebrated Thanksgiving with my son and classmates from Florence at the villa and the weather was warm during the day and we used the fireplaces at night.

Hope you plan a fun trip!

Bob

Last edited:
I like doing my own thing, but I can’t turn it down when they get such good prices in airfare.

Just an observation that you list 11 nights in your itinerary (assume the "14 days" includes transit time?) and that you'll be visiting 5 cities in those 11 nights. Depending on your priorities for the trip, is there an interest in decreasing your packing and relocation time and increasing the time spent in fewer destinations? There also seems to be some criss-crossing in the travel routes -- from Venice to Rome; then back north to Florence; back south past Rome to Naples. I don't know how frequently you enjoy visits to Italy, but saving some of these spots for "next time" might be consideration?

Last edited:
Oh right. That was without looking st the exact itinerary. They actually let you customize the route if you want. I am doing Venice, Florence, Skipping Rome and then spending more time around the Amalfi coast...I think.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina