• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Recommendations in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of Italy

susan

100+ Posts
Hi everyone,

I know nothing about the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region of Italy. Any recommendations on places to visit in late May/early June? I will be traveling by train. I am thinking about Trieste. Any other places I should also consider in this region?

thanks!
susan

Hi Susan,
We enjoyed Treviso and Udine as well as Trieste. We were there a couple of years ago and information on line was scarce, we contacted Sonia at info@discoverfriuli.com and she was very helpful in planning our trip with great suggestions. We used her for two days of touring the area, both days were great. We visited Aquilia and Redipuglia with her one day, and Trieste on another. In Trieste we visited a WWII concentration camp which we had never heard of until Sonia mentioned it. My husband is a WWI and WWII buff and enjoyed that aspect of the area greatly. There are many WWI trenches preserved in the area. We stayed in Udine most of the trip as we had visited Trieste previously, we liked Udine very much, it was so different than other areas of Italy. I believe we were the only Americans in town and the people were super friendly. We did spend a couple of nights in Treviso and booked a driver/guide for a day on the Prosecco Road and a visit to Conegliano to view so paintings by Cima. We spent a week in the area and could have stayed longer.
Hope this helps with your trip planning. Let me know if I can answer any questions.
Mary P

Hi Mary,

Thanks for the info! I have spent most of the day trying to read what I can about the area. It's funny, but I have come up with a similar itinerary as you.

I am thinking of first staying in Udine (probably 6 nights). From there, I will do a day trip to Trieste or maybe two if I really like it! I think I would rather check Trieste out on this trip and then maybe go back and stay there during a future trip. It also makes train travel easier this way. I will definitely contact Sonia. Thanks so much for this resource!

I am then thinking of heading to Treviso. I forgot about this place until I saw it on the train line today. I remember wanting to go there as a day trip from Venice, but never did. I am thinking maybe 4 or 5 nights in Treviso? I have also read a little about Conegliano as a great little day trip from there.

Do you have any hotel recommendations?

Thanks again!!
susan

I don't think you will regret staying in Udine. I don't have a hotel recommendation for you there, we stayed at the Hotel San Giorgio, but did not care for it. It was a bit far from the main center of Udine, near the rail station. There were a couple of hotels closer to the restaurants, coffee shops, etc, but I can't remember their names. I will try and look them up tomorrow.

We flew into Venice and had a very reasonable car service (Treviso Car Service tvcarservice@gmail.com) pick us up and deliver us to Treviso. We stayed at the Arogari B&B, it was lovely and the rooms were modern, beautiful and very comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. I would highly recommend it. We ask the owner to call for a cab to take us to the train station, but there was nothing available for some reason and he took us in his car. The train ride to Udine was very easy. I think we stayed 2 or 3 nights in Treviso, it is a cute small town. One of the days there we used the same car service for couple of stops on the Prosecco road and lunch in Conegliano.

We stayed five nights in Udine, two of those days touring with Sonia. We had also planned to take a train to Cividale on our last day, but spent it in Udine instead. Sometimes we rent a car, but we decided on this trip we needed a guide/driver instead as there was so little information available on the region. It worked out very well for us. We trained from Udine to Venice and stayed there in our favorite apartment for two weeks before returning home. Sigh ...

Hope to go back to Italy in the spring, we ha a fall trip planned but my DH will be having his second knee replacement of the year this summer. Sigh .....

You will enjoy the area and Sonia will be a great help in planning.

Mary Pace

Thank you again so much, Mary! You have been so helpful!

I took your advice and booked 4 nights at the B&B you suggested in Treviso. It sounds lovely and looks like it is located in a perfect spot! Because of the train travel times, I am heading to Udine first and then to Treviso, followed by Modena and then back up to a few nights on Lake Iseo. I am really excited to explore some new places on this trip.

I am sorry to hear about your DH having to have a second knee replacement. I hope all goes well and you will get back to Italy soon!

Thanks again!!

Amy, Love your Pinterest page on Friuli. Aquileia and especially the mosaic floor in the Basilica are really not to be missed. We have seen many ancient mosaics in Italy, but these were perhaps the most amazing to us in their simplicity and historic significance.

I know you will both have a great trip - happy travels!

Amy, I replied to your a message. Now I know how that works on this site! Yes, we do overlap and it will be great to see you again!

I tried Pinterest once years ago but got these weird followers I couldn't shake so I stopped using it. I will have to sign up again. It looks like a great way to organize info. Thanks for sharing your Pinterest page. Your google map has so many places on it! Are you planning to visit all of these places?

Mary, Aquileia sounds like another wonderful place to visit. I ended up going with 5 days in Udine. I am always a little nervous committing to more days with an unknown hotel stay but I think I found a good place. I am glad I went with the extra day as now I am finding lots of places to visit near Udine. I am so excited to visit this new region!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina