• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Recommended day trips for 10 days in Southern Spain

tonydee

Hi
I would appreciate some assistance in planning day trips from Malaga and Seville.
The trip is from September 21st through October 2nd 2019.
We’re starting the trip in Malaga and returning home from Seville.
We will not be driving a car.
The plan right now is to be based in each city for 5 days.
Would Cordoba , Ronda, Cadiz and Jerez be doable from Seville in 5 days ?
And from Malaga, we would like to visit Granada, Marbella and Gibraltar.
Does this sound reasonable or are we trying to do too much ?
Should we allocate the time in each city differently , like six days in one and four in the other ?
Thanks very much,
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony and welcome!
Malaga to Granada and Malaga to Gibraltar are both a minimum of 2 hours on public transport, so it would be 4 hours on a bus each day... personally I wouldn't do it.
Seville - Córdoba is very doable with the AVE train, just 45 minutes and Córdoba is great (and can be seen in one day, even if I'd allow more if I could).
I think that Ronda is hard to reach by public transport from either Seville and Málaga.
Seville to Cádiz is little over 1.30 hours and there's plenty of trains so it's definitely doable.
Jerez is about 1 hour by train, on the same train line as Cádiz... a bit of a pity coming and going twice from Seville...
This said: any possibility of staying shorter in Málaga and maybe spending 1 or 2 nights in Cádiz? I've never been but I heard great things about it!
In any case I'd stay longer in Seville than in Málaga, Seville itself deserves a few days to visit.

Hello Tony:
I agree with Giulia's comments.
Regarding day trips from Malaga. On visits there we've noticed many day tour operators provide services to Ronda and Gibraltar.I don't know how frequent they would be at the time of year you are travelling. Of the two I would chose Ronda unless you are looking to load up on duty-free cigarettes in Gibraltar with British day-trippers. Granada deserves more than a day trip.

Deservedly or not, the area around Malaga has the reputation of the "Costa de Lager Louts". We tend not to visit the area. Giulia's suggestion of taking more time in Seville is well-founded. That being said if you are committed to the Malaga there are a number of places one can reach by public transporation in an hour or so. Marbella is one. Mijas (not Mijas Costa) has a couple of interesting sights: a rectangular bull ring and an ermita with votive offerings from supplicants. Ojen (north of Marbella) has a pleasant small museum devoted to the production of olive oil.

Cadiz is an interesting city but we found it takes more than a day to feel comfortable with it. There are frequent (almost hourly) trains on the Seville/Cadiz route. For a very long day one could visit Cadiz in the morning and then stop back in Jerez in the afternoon. (not recommended however!). With only a day I would suggest Jerez as the preferable option.

Cordoba is worth the visit.

If you provide some information regarding your interests, posters may be able to offer more specific suggestions.

Best wishes with your planning and travel
Dennis

Lager louts? East of Malaga? Definitely not. We are currently in the haven of the Costa Tropical an hour from Malaga. It's not crowded, and the tourists are almost exclusively northern European baby boomers enjoying a quiet life in the winter sun. It's delightful, balmy temperatures, great walking country, and lots of cultural events.

I have to agree with you Veronica. The farther east one goes from Malaga the more pleasant it gets. We've spent enjoyable times twice in Nerja - once for a month. I cannot say the same for a week we were in Fuengirola and area.

Hi all,

I’d like to thank you all very much for your advice !
So kind of you !
Looks like the itinerary is changing upon further research.
3 days Marbella
3 days Grenada
4 days Seville.

There should be plenty to see and do in those
3 locations and maybe add in a day trip if feasible/needed.

Thanks so much,
Tony

I have to agree with you Veronica. The farther east one goes from Malaga the more pleasant it gets. We've spent enjoyable times twice in Nerja - once for a month. I cannot say the same for a week we were in Fuengirola and area.
Nerja's nice to visit for a day, but too touristy for me. When we were there the other day we heard nothing but English being spoken. We're in Almuñecar, a little further east. Yes, it's touristy but quieter than Nerja, with a lovely old town. Small enough to walk everywhere, big enough to have a busy cultural programme -- there's something on at the Casa de la Cultura nearly every day, plus bars with live music at weekends, and walking groups to go out with.

I would definitely do a day trip from Sevilla to Cordoba. The Mezquita is one of the most incredible sights I have ever visited. A very short train ride from Sevilla. Get there when it opens and avoid the crowds. Well worth it. (photos below)

Mezquita - Cordoba, Spain - Travels With Mai tai Tom - 1.jpg

Mezquita - Cordoba, Spain - Travels With Mai tai Tom - 1 (2).jpg

Mezquita - Cordoba, Spain - Travels With Mai tai Tom - 1 (1).jpg

Deservedly or not, the area around Malaga has the reputation of the "Costa de Lager Louts". We tend not to visit the area.
I don't think one should confuse the Torremolinos/Fuengirola area 'around Malaga' with the city of Malaga itself. It's true I was there in March but we found it to be a cosmopolitan city with tourists from all over the world (and not one lager lout) but mostly Spanish people and a host of things to see and do from the Alcazaba to the Thyssen Museum, some of them often free....... I would never stay in Torremolinos or similar places but I loved Malaga and would definitely return
https://slowtravelitalyspain.blogspot.com/2019/01/malaga-in-march-trip-report.html

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina