• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Recs for day tour providers from Lucca to Cinque Terre

kathyb

10+ Posts
Hi, my brother and I are bringing our families to Italy this August. It's a Florence-Lucca-Florence trip due to our flight and limited stay (9 nights). We are spending 4 nights in Lucca as our base for day trips in Tuscany. I have two questions so far (just starting to plan those day trips):

1. What 4 day trips would you recommend from Lucca? We will have a 12 yo and an 8 yo with us. We will be visiting hill towns and museums, but would love other options that active kids would like. Since it's summer, water ideas are welcome! Also, what are your top 4 towns and activities?

2. We'd like to book a full-day tour to Cinque Terre. I found a company that picks you up at your hotel and brings you back after a 9-hour day. They take you to all 5 villages, but do not have you do any of the hard hikes. Their price is 144 Euro per adult, 99 E per kid. Do you have any recs on great tour guides/companies for CT?

thanks in advance for your thoughts!

For Lucca, be sure to rent bikes for the jaunt around the city wall and to take a short trip up the Serchio Valley to see the Devils Bridge. My kids always enjoyed seeing Saint Zita in her glass case in the Basilica San Frediano in Lucca (reminded them of Snow White, but she hasn't gotten up in well over 700 years). Climb the Guinigi Tower to enjoy the view of the city. Go to Stecco Casanova to get frozen gelato on a stick with a fruity surprise inside.

Beyond that, obviously Pisa, but be sure to have reservations in advance for the Tower and Baptistery. You can get a package with the Duomo included or can just get same-day entrance to Duomo on a timed ticket.

The prices for the CT tour seem steep -- might be worth it to look at public transportation (maybe a train to La Spezia which would be an adventure for the kids?) and then train from there to the CT towns and water taxi transport up the coast. If you are hiking, much better to walk north to south to avoid climbing the steep stairs at Corniglia.

If you want to do a beach day, you are close to Viareggio and Lido di Camaiore. Alternatively, a thermal pool day (with spa) at a place like Montecatini Terme would be fun (other thermal baths in same area too).

I'm assuming you will not have car? Siena and Volterra are within reach -- there are Etruscan tunnels under Volterra used as wine cellars and kind of cool in August weather and fun to walk through.

San Gimignano is a constant tourist draw, but is one of my least favorite places to visit in Italy (mark me down as a grouch when it comes to unending rows of souvenir shops and hordes of tourists). The town is beautiful from the road and impossible not to get beautiful photos of the town walls and towers -- and is far more enjoyable in the evenings and at night when the tour buses leave.

Pistoia and Prato are on the rail line between Florence and Lucca and have old town areas that are interesting (probably more to the adults than to the kids).

Check out the local festivals to see what is going on -- many towns have things going on that involve food and some form of entertainment for the evenings.

https://www.discovertuscany.com/tuscany-events/august-in-tuscany.html

If you like Lucca, you will love Siena - one of my favorites. It appears to be about 1.5+ hours by car and you could hit San Gimignano on the way back. Volterra, featuring alabaster carvings/ornaments, is also interesting day trip.

Last edited:
I love Siena! We spent a day there years ago, and I was super focused on finding the perfect pair of boots. Do you have recs on what to see in Siena?

I have been to Siena twice, about three nights each trip. IL Campo is one of the the most picturesque squares (piazza) in Italy. I went into a local shop and asked if you can drink wine on IL Campo. I was told, "Senior, this is Italy. You can drink wherever you want!". I bought a bottle of wine along with some bread and cheese we had our own open air picnic.

Siena is great to just explore back streets and neighborhoods. We took a guided half-day tour to get oriented. The Duomo is impressive and packed with great art, including statues by Michelangelo and Bernini. There is a good museum nearby. Here are web sites Ten Things Not to be Missed in Siena., and 15 Best Things to do in Siena.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina