• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Rental car insurance /credit card?

Pati

10+ Posts
My son and his girlfriend are traveling a little part of Italy at the end of April. I suggested that they rent a car in Florence and travel the Chiantigiana. Whenever I’ve rented a car, I’ve owned one in the states. He lives in Chicago and doesn’t need a car, so I’m not sure what to advise him about insurance. I vaguely remember that my credit card covered some extras, but age has crept in and removed those memories.Help?

For what its worth...we book through Autoeurope and take the deal that includes no deductible and extended coverages. Between our normal insurance, our credit card and the rental company coverage that probably gives us overlapping and probably somewhat duplicative coverage. But then again, we are the belt and suspenders types who like to sleep well at night.

Check the credit card policies. I have fairly good coverage with one of my cards; not so much on another. Ditto for cards with/without foreign transaction fees as long as you're looking at card coverage.

Depending on how long the rental Hertz has a 28 day "executive" insurance policy that was the best for long term rentals.

we Always rent through kemwell as they include zero deductible on all their cars.....no added insurance needed and we have always been very pleased with service and courtesy......I understand they are owned or part of auto Europe.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina