• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Restaurant suggestions in the Greve area

chiaro di Luna

100+ Posts
I am looking for a few restaurant recommendations where the locals would eat in the Greve area. We will have a car so will be willing to drive to nearby towns for lunch.
All types of menus. Open for lunch.
Anyone have some favorites to share?
Great pizza places in that area and great gelato too?

Hopefully Jane will see your post and can jump in with some suggestions.

We highly recommend Ristoro di Lamole. It's in the Chianti hills near Greve. Amazing views, great menu, and really welcoming service... the combination of the three make it one of my favorite places to eat anywhere. Lamole is popular with our local friends for a special meal. We normally go for dinner, but they are open for lunch as well.

There are two places to get gelato in Greve, but I wouldn't consider it great. The best gelato in the area is in Castellina in Chianti, about 30 minutes away.

If you're in Castellina for lunch, try Il Re Gallo... a small place popular with locals.

Chiaro, this is the list I compiled when we were living there so it is pretty old; however, things have not changed much and I think it is still pretty accurate. Osteria Alla Piazza has been a favorite of ours for 14 years. We also really like La Castellana in Montefioralle and Il Vescovino in Panzano. On the link below I have phone numbers s and websites for these places and many more with my admittedly biased opinions. Hope this helps.

http://www.janeandken.com/Greve/GreveRestaurants.html

Thanks friends. This is exactly what I am looking for. I will go to Castellina in Chianti for a 1/2 day trip. This time I am making some reservations and printing out directions pre trip.

I realise this is a fairly old post, but I want to mention a great restaurant that opened only a few weeks ago. This is Ristorante Dondoli near both Greve and Panzano, and absolutely deep in the countryside. When the weather is good, you sit outside under a huge oak tree. The food is Tuscan but much more original than anything I've had in the area, and they offer an additional fish menu twice a week. Prices are remarkably reasonable! Strongly recommended.
http://www.lamole.info/chianticountryrestaurant.htm

My favourite restaurant in the area is Le Panzanelle, near the town of Radda in Lucarelli. http://www.lepanzanelle.it/
I have been there a number of times and never have been disappointed. Their menu is small but every item is exquisite. Also a great wine list, over 300 bottles.
You will not find many tourists here, mostly locals. Suggest you make a reservation and sit outside on their patio, if the weather permits.
I recently took some Italian friends who live in a remote part of Tuscany and they were very thrilled with the food and the casual elegance. Let me know if you go! Prices are very reasonable.

We ate at Il Gallo Nero in Greve in October 2015. We'd eaten there a couple of times before over the years, but had not been there since 2007. It's been remodeled and is much nicer inside now. Food was better too!

We have stayed in Greve 6 times and Panzano once. Love Ristoro di Lamole and La Castellana at Montefeoralle. Both are very close. If you venture further out there are a number of great choices.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina