• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Returning Rental Car at Civitavecchia Port

LoveItaly

10+ Posts
We'll be returning our Hertz rental car at Civitavecchia prior to embarking for our cruise. The Hertz office is located at Via della Repubblica, 10A, which is in the Port area, and from what I can tell the closest one to the piers. Problem is getting from the rental car to our ship's pier. From what I've read only taxis or transfer services can drop off close to the ships but since they're too close to the rental office taxis won't take you. Even if they did the rental car agents won't call one for you. I know there are buses but not sure where they're located or which one would get us to our ship. One thing for sure is we don't want to be faced with a long walk hauling our luggage through the Port. Has anyone experienced dropping off a car at the Port pre-cruise?

Carole

We did not find a good solution when going from Rome to the port for a cruise a few years ago, but ended up on a charter bus from town to the dock that worked out for us. Your question piqued my curiosity again, however, and I did find this note on the Cruise Critic board (from 2010, so would verify): "The Hertz office is actually only a 2 block walk to the main port entrance (the entire route is flat). Once at the port entrance there is a free port shuttle bus (with plenty of luggage storage space under the bus) that will take you to the ship. So, as long as you can roll your luggage a few blocks you will be fine."

Alpinista, thanks for your reply. We will not be traveling from Rome to the port. If so, we would have taken Romecabs who would have direct access to our ship. We will be arriving from Tuscany so dropping off at the port is the best option.

I believe the Hertz info is what I also found on Cruise Critic and why I booked with Hertz. After I posted I did some more research and found out there were some changes at the port a few years ago. There's a new entrance and it's no longer near the Fort so Hertz would be too far. The Information Point and shuttle buses to the docks are now located at Large della Pace. According to Google Maps Europcar is a three minute walk so I cancelled Hertz and booked with Europecar. There is also an Avis location that's the same walking distance.

Carole

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina