• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Returning to Slow Travel

mortlipp

Hello everyone,
In 2011 I joined the then Slow Travel forums and used the site exclusively to plan a 12 week trip in Italy and France in 2012. I was MichelleO on the old forums. This time it looks like I'm mortlipp. I travel with my husband of 41 years and since our epic 2012 trip we have been travelling every winter (Southern Hemisphere - Australia) either overseas or more recently around Australia in our camper trailer.

In 2014 we went to Morocco, Spain, England, Scotland and SW Ireland (10 weeks) with long time friends. However, their approach to travelling was a bit different to ours. We ended up doing quite a lot of 2-4 night stops and it was not slow enough for our liking. In 2015 we went to Japan for two weeks and then to South Korea to visit our son for 2 weeks. On the way home we stopped off in Thailand for a few weeks. In 2017 I spent 5 1/2 weeks in Italy during September, with my two sisters. I planned this trip based on what I had learned from ST in 2012. At least 5 nights in one place and mostly a full week. We used public transport to get around from Stresa, Lucca, Florence, Positano, Orvieto and Rome. I booked apartments using what was then VRBO and now Homeaway. All were great.

In 2017 we bought a four wheel drive and an off road camper trailer and our travels have been here at home in Australia for the last couple of years. It is such a big country! Last year we travelled for 5 1/2 months - 20,000km - from our home on the NE border of Victoria and NSW to the Gulf country in Far North QLD, down the centre to Alice Springs and 1500km across the Great Central Highway (a dirt road, corrugations, gravel - highway is a bit misleading) to Perth to be around for the birth of our second grandchild. Then, of course we had to get home - across the Nullarbor (our third time on this road). As with ST in Europe, we stay in places for several days, often free camping on a beach, by a river or in the red dirt somewhere, and lots of National Park camping. It is very different from travel in Europe!

We are off again in April this year to the Northern Territory (Kakadu and Darwin) and WA - the Kimberley, Bungle Bungles and lots of off road adventures along the Gibb River Road. We'll be away 6 months. However, I'm missing overseas travel so I'm beginning to look at Sicily for May/June 2020 and have found ST reincarnated here on Slow Europe Travel. Looking forward to some good advice for Sicily.
Michelle

Hi Michelle, have you moved from Ballarat. I think I met you in Geelong quite a few years ago.
We have a lot of friends who move north to warmer climates in their vans for months in winter.
Your travels sound wonderful.

Hello Mortlipp,
Your travels sound great. We are also Australian from Queensland, and also have a camper trailer. We have not been as adventurous as you, but do love getting away . Just waiting for schools to go back next week, and for it to cool down a bit. We also love travelling to France and visit every two years. We were there last year and are planning for 2020.
Happy travels.

Hi Fletch,
Yes, I remember! We met at a pub in Geelong for lunch and talked about France. I think you had stayed in Goult and I booked a gite there for two weeks. We moved back to Albury/Wodonga in 2013, after 4 years in Ballarat. I retired from the uni but I still do some online tutoring.

Phirhon, I think it has been hotter here than in QLD this summer! Once schools return travelling and free camping are easier. We are enjoying our camper trailer and the remote places it gets us to but want to find time for OS travel again. It might mean a bit of juggling. We also go to Perth two or three times a year, either during our camping travels or fly over as our only two grandchildren are there. We can always go to Italy or France via Perth though so it should work out.
Michelle

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina