• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

River cruise in Burgundy

We have cruised almost all of those canals and rivers, but in hired boats we drive ourselves. Dijon is a a lovely town, and the country in Burgundy is France at her best. I have never taken a barge cruise where someone else does the navigation and cooking, but the cruise you are looking at seems to offer the laid back experience you are hoping for. What time of year are you thinking of? We once did the upper Saone in mid September, and most of the canal-side venues had shut down for the season, which severely limited our plans for dining in fine restaurants. You, of course, would have your restaurant with you at all times.

I've been looking into river cruises (on account of my aging mother) that includes Vienna in the itinerary and came across this company: http://www.croisieuroperivercruises.com/

They are a French company based in Strasbourg, have been around for 40 years and supposedly are as well known in Europe as Viking River Cruise. They are well reviewed by Cruise Critique. They have cruises on many rivers in Europe and of course in every navigable river in France. I like the idea of mingling with Europeans than with Americans while in Europe. However, many of their staff speak English so language would not be a problem. They offer French cuisine, which is a plus-plus by me! Being a Francophile, I am strongly leaning on going on one of their cruises.

I have just read this thread as I was about to post my trip report .... We started at Lyon, sailing north on the River Saône as far as Chalon sur Saône before retracing our steps to Lyon and then sailing south on the River Rhône to Arles and finishing off in Avignon. My full report with all the pictures is here.

It was a very different style holiday to G Adventures as there wasn't the walking or cycling activities, although we did cruise a lot further south. The highlight for me were the Roman cities of Vienne and Arles.

This was the first time I'd travelled with Riviera Travel and I was very impressed right from initial contact when booking to the final day, particularly their attention to detail. The ship is jointly owned by a shipping company and Riviera and is for sole use of Riviera. Everyone was from the UK with a few from the Republic of Ireland. The ship was extremely comfortable and the staff were excellent. It was also full board and food was plentiful...

The scenery was very pretty with the vineyards along the slopes although I was surprised by how little settlement there was along the river for long stretches.

River cruising is very relaxing and a lot less formal that ocean cruising. Dress is very much smart casual with the emphasis on the casual bit. You don't need your dinner jacket or family jewels...The average age was probably 60-80 although everyone was remarkably sprightly. Meals were free seating and every one mixed happily.

Last edited:
How funny, Eleanor; I saw your trip report posted on Tripadvisor just now, and had copied the link to pass it on to the OP. When I opened this site, you were there first. I'm sure your TR will help DDTraveller make a wise decision.

BTW, the reason, I am told, for the lack of development along the Saone is that it has been historically prone to flooding. The French sensibly avoided building there and used the land for agriculture. Perhaps we Americans could take a lesson from this and not build houses on the flats in Florida or Texas that will surely be inundated the next time a big storm comes along.

Thanks to all of you who responded! Nukesafe, we were thinking of taking the late October, early November cruise, primarily because September is sold out. I take your point that many restaurants and other venues might be closed by that time of the year. Do you think it would be cold? We could go in August but I've just sworn off traveling in Europe in August after this past summer, and our few weeks in Italy -- too hot and crowded.

Thanks also to Flennie and Eleanor. You've given me much to think about. I enjoyed your report, Eleanor, and loved the pictures.

This cruise would be part of a much longer trip, none of which will be in France (this time), so still considering whether we want to jet over to France at the end of our trip. We've been to Provence and Paris, but nowhere else in France, so it's a great temptation.

Thanks again!

DD

I think it will not be warm, DD, It may be lovely biking along the towpaths while the leaves are turning, but it may also be rainy and windy. At least you would have a warm, dry, boat to retreat to, but I recall a trip I took with my four young kids in a narrow boat in Wales where it rained with hardly a pause for a whole week. Patricide, fratricide, and infanticide all became real possibilities while we huddled inside listening to the rain beat on the cabin top.

We have been in Burgundy in late October and early November ( 2010) and it was cold and rainy at times. The autumn colours were beautiful though. And weather being what it is, you never really know. We were staying in Varzy and near Macon. Last year we had nice weather at the end of October but by second week of November it was cold and bleak at times.

We were in Beaune in mid-October in 2014...in between a week in Aix en Provence and a week in Paris. It was pretty cool and rainy the entire 4 days, but we may have just hit a streak of bad weather. We had scheduled a bike tour of the vineyards, but ended up doing it in cars with our bikes on a trailer due to the rain. That being said, we still had a wonderful time there.

Thanks for all of your input. The other tour companies suggested by Flennie and Eleanor offer trips in August and September, so maybe that would be best.

DD

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina